U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 05:04 AM

6 posts, read 7,058 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,

I'm going to do a summer course at a university in the US this summer (1 months). I'm from Europe and I have never been to the US before so now it's about time!

I have been admitted to a course at Loyola University in Chicago. I have read a lot about American cities and it seems that Chicago is a cool place in the summer. I'm not too sure about the university though and it seems that the campus and housing (near Rogers Park) is quite far from central Chicago. Would that be a problem?

I'm worried that Chicago is just too big for me and that it would be hard for me to meet people to hang out with. But I don't know if I should worry about that.

Do you have any other suggestions to where I could go? I'll list my preferences:

- Mid-size to big city. Preferably no less than 250.000. All depends on the feel of the city. Maybe it's easier to meet people in a mid-size city than in the hustle and bustle of Chicago?
- A lot of young people
- Decent nightlife
- Decent transport system (or walkable/"bikeable" city)
- Nature and water - At least green parks to sit in
- High diversity - I would prefer not to live in a 90-95% white town. I would like the city to have a good percent of african americans too.
- Friendly residents

I had also thought about Washington DC (too expensive schools), New Orleans (too hot), Austin (too hot) and San Francisco (no courses in my field).

I will be grateful for any help and advice at this point
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 05:31 AM

21,188 posts, read 30,366,193 times
I think Chicago would be a great experience for you. It is a big city but in my opinion one of the friendlier ones. You shouldn't have trouble meeting people while attending Loyola. Rogers Park is on north end but not remote as the mass transit system is excellent and the more vibrant neighborhoods of Chicago are north of the central core (Wrigleyville, Lakeview, Lincoln Park and Old Town). You can hop on the "L" (the elevated trains) at Loyola and be downtown in minutes. Additionally just several minutes north of Loyola is Evanston, the home of Northwestern University. The area around campus (even in summer) will have a good amount of activity going on as well. You can get off the "L" at the Davis station and you're right in the middle of the restaurant/bar area.

http://www.transitchicago.com/assets...tatrainmap.png

Old 03-31-2012, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I think Chicago would be a great experience for you. It is a big city but in my opinion one of the friendlier ones. You shouldn't have trouble meeting people while attending Loyola. Rogers Park is on north end but not remote as the mass transit system is excellent and the more vibrant neighborhoods of Chicago are north of the central core (Wrigleyville, Lakeview, Lincoln Park and Old Town). You can hop on the "L" (the elevated trains) at Loyola and be downtown in minutes. Additionally just several minutes north of Loyola is Evanston, the home of Northwestern University. The area around campus (even in summer) will have a good amount of activity going on as well. You can get off the "L" at the Davis station and you're right in the middle of the restaurant/bar area.

http://www.transitchicago.com/assets...tatrainmap.png
Thanks for the advice

I'm not sure Loyola is only minutes from downtown (I read that it's like a 30 min transport) but I hope you're right when you say that it's not really a problem.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:14 AM

Anyone else?

Old 03-31-2012, 11:33 AM

32,071 posts, read 32,974,848 times
Maybe Philadelphia?

Old 03-31-2012, 11:41 AM

6,567 posts, read 8,101,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkraki View Post
Anyone else?
NM cities, Sante Fe and ABQ, dont meet all your criteria but as deep SW cities they offer a lot of contrast to what you probably have experienced and have nice summer climates

Old 03-31-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
NM cities, Sante Fe and ABQ, dont meet all your criteria but as deep SW cities they offer a lot of contrast to what you probably have experienced and have nice summer climates
Santa Fe is maybe a bit too small for my liking? But I like the location... Near Mexico and California.

Old 03-31-2012, 12:38 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,713,305 times
Defiantly San Diego

Old 03-31-2012, 01:00 PM

4,836 posts, read 10,187,465 times
I think Washington D.C. is the best place for someone who wants to live in the US for a little bit to be. No doubt about it. I have some friends I made in DC who were from over seas just for a semester or the year and they love it.
Are you over 21 years old?

In DC you have the second best transit system after NYC.
You have lots of American History and TONS of FREE museums and things to see to learn about the US.
You have great parks in the city and right near by.
You go 2 hours south you are in the Southern US you go 2 hours North you are in the Northern US. You have the atlantic coast near by too.
You have an very easy to access airport with plenty of flights all over the US.
You have a city with great access to the only good passenger train corridor. Take a train to Philadelphia, NYC or Boston.

Lots of young people around, and during the summers there are thousands of students who are there just for the summer and really do not know anyone either and are not familar with the city etc..

Just read DC is too expensive for you. I will still stay DC is by far the best option.

You think of Boston or Seattle?
I would reccomend Miami if you have been to the US before, but to get a good "American" experience Miami is not your best choice.

Old 03-31-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
I think Washington D.C. is the best place for someone who wants to live in the US for a little bit to be. No doubt about it. I have some friends I made in DC who were from over seas just for a semester or the year and they love it.
Are you over 21 years old?

You think of Boston or Seattle?
I would reccomend Miami if you have been to the US before, but to get a good "American" experience Miami is not your best choice.
Thank you for your opinion I really appreciate the help!

I will try looking into DC again but I think that it is (unfortunately) out of my budget.

I have definitely also considered Seattle, although I have heard that the weather is not all that great. I have also considered Portland but it seems people have very different opinions on these cities.

Of course the school has to be good too but right now I'm just trying to find good locations (which is equally as important to me). I just want a place that's nice, friendly, fun and where it's easy to meet other young people to hang out with (I'm 24).

What do you think about Chicago?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.