U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2012, 07:56 AM

113 posts, read 154,755 times

Advertisements

I've asked this question on the NY and New England forums but I'd like to open up the area of the search to the entire U.S.My wife,daughter and I live in north west NJ,which by NJ standards was rural,now it's crowded,expensive and people(not all)tend to be self centered and rude,crime is getting worse and we want out.I sell firearms(I've done this for over 25 years) and have a small landscapeing/snowplow company,my wife drives a school bus.At first we thought about ME,VT,NH and NY,we took a few short trips,all very pretty but also not much cheaper than NJ.We'd like to consider other parts of the country,mainly the east because of logistics.We're both paranoid of tornados,so I quess most of the mid-west is a no go.We're looking for nice people,low crime,good schools,afodable housing,health care and work in a sort of rural area but not to far from,work shopping and health care.We'd like a few acres of property.A few years ago we went to Myrtle Beach,SC,we had a great time,the people were so friendly.We've thought lately about the South and now would like to learn more.We realy won't rule any area out.Thank you all for any help you might give us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 08:34 AM

3,895 posts, read 4,568,820 times
Well First Tornados can happen anywhere so i wouldnt base your location on the chance of that happening.
Now Avoid tornado alley ya but they can happen anywhere no place is immune to Tornados.
I would recommend the Indianapolis area Lowest cost of living index of any major US city. We have the nations most affordable housing market and were the fastest growing city in the midwest and 8th in the nation. Also were within a days drive to 75% of the US population. Our city is also known for hosting very large events like the Indy 500 and Super Bowl 46. Plus Chicago is only 3 hours away and Indy has a brand new international airport that was just completed First one built after 9/11.
Indianapolis also has a very kind down to earth culture that is very tolorant of other people. Heck people that moved from the south up to Indianapolis commented on how nice it is not to have a bunch of racism around the city. Crime is also lower than other similar sized cities too
Indiana also has the best business climate in the midwest and 5th in the country. were also 2nd in the nation for job growth in the past 4 months.
Also i forgot to mention Indiana doesnt have very strict gun laws so its easy to set up shop here Concealed Carry is permited across the state and i have heard stories of it coming in handy.
Cost of living in Indy is about 30% lower than New Jersey too.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:46 AM

113 posts, read 154,755 times
Broadrippleguy,thank you.I would think the chance of a bad tornado are more likely in the mid-west than the northeast?I still won't discount the mid-west,I understand schools are generally very good and people tend to be frinedly.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:04 AM

570 posts, read 1,144,642 times
How about West Virginia (Charleston perhaps), North Carolina (The Triad perhaps) or Tennessee (Knoxville or Chattanooga)? I believe all of these places are cheaper than NJ, rural areas very close by, all have good access to health care, schools, etc.

Yes, there have been tornadoes recently in some of these areas. However, as already mentioned, tornadoes can happen anywhere. If tornadoes are really a huge concern you may have to choose the lowest-risk tornado areas over some of your other criteria (like affordability, or eastern locations).

Old 03-31-2012, 10:49 AM

56,593 posts, read 80,870,855 times
Perhaps look into Central and Western Upstate NY, as that is the part of Upstate NY that is more affordable. It may be a matter of finding a job for the misses. Maybe something like this could work: Bus Driver - Rochester, NY 14607 - Indeed Mobile

EXPERIENCED SCHOOL BUS DRIVER - Buffalo, NY - Indeed Mobile

DRIVERS - Buffalo, NY - Indeed Mobile

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-31-2012 at 11:16 AM..

Old 03-31-2012, 10:51 AM

3,895 posts, read 4,568,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUE COLLAR View Post
Broadrippleguy,thank you.I would think the chance of a bad tornado are more likely in the mid-west than the northeast?I still won't discount the mid-west,I understand schools are generally very good and people tend to be frinedly.
Indiana isnt in tornado alley. However alot of Houses in Indiana fix any risk of tornados with Basements.
All the Deaths in Southern Indiana were in mobile homes during that tornado disaster. If you had a basement you were safe.
Thats a good example of the old saying DONT RIDE OUT A TORNADO IN A MOBILE HOME! thats a death trap

Tornado Alley - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Indiana isnt part of the Tornado alley but we do have a slight risk i have lived here 17 years and we have had severe storms but no tornados.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:17 AM

21,188 posts, read 30,359,201 times
Since you're already focused a bit on South Carolina you might check out Blythewood, which is 30 minutes north of the capital city of Columbia (also home of the University of South Carolina) where you'll find everything you need in terms of shopping, healthcare and other services. The schools in Blythewood are quite good and you'll find plenty of rural-ish areas in which to live but not feel like you're isolated.

Welcome to Blythewood High School (http://www.richland2.org/schools/bh/ - broken link)
Blythewood Schools - Blythewood South Carolina School Ratings - Public and Private
Town of Blythewood, South Carolina | Official Website

Old 04-01-2012, 07:06 AM

56,593 posts, read 80,870,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Perhaps look into Central and Western Upstate NY, as that is the part of Upstate NY that is more affordable. It may be a matter of finding a job for the misses. Maybe something like this could work: Bus Driver - Rochester, NY 14607 - Indeed Mobile

EXPERIENCED SCHOOL BUS DRIVER - Buffalo, NY - Indeed Mobile

DRIVERS - Buffalo, NY - Indeed Mobile
You may like areas like Elma, East Aurora, Alden, Ontario(Wayne SD), Honeoye Falls-Lima area, Eden, Starpoint SD area of Lockport and perhaps rural parts of Webster, Lancaster, Wheatfield, Brockport, Hilton SD and Churchville-Chili. Palmyra-Macedon and rural parts of the Victor and Canandaigua areas may work too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or