U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which do you prefer?
big city 24 35.82%
small city 15 22.39%
suburb 18 26.87%
small town 12 17.91%
rural area 11 16.42%
country 16 23.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 08:34 PM

53 posts, read 113,159 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't mind a small town where people know each other and the streets are quiet and safe at all hours of the day and night. I don't want to live out in farm country or isolated in the backwoods. I love people, just not ALL people. Those who cause trouble can stay in the cities.

I guess it's all relative. I like to think that in small towns "trouble" means kids being a little mischievous around older folks, but not too far from where I live "trouble" means crime, drugs, rapes, robberies, and murder. Like I said, it's probably relative, but I'd be able to tell the difference.

Peace and Quiet and not worrying about getting stabbed tomorrow over a pair of shoes or an iPhone, or some pocket change would be fantastic.

Ever see those pictures of Main Street type shops and little houses above where people live or rent out? Wonderful. It doesn't have to be any particular geographical area, I've seen tons of these "idealistic" towns in Pennsylvania and Upstate NY.

If only the powers that be hadn't destroyed local economies a man could move to a small town and have no problem finding work. Now I hear they're all emptying out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 08:48 PM

6,435 posts, read 9,953,387 times
My ideal location is a high-end HOA gulf course gated-community in the sweet sprawling suburbs of Southern California. Heaven on Earth.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:10 PM

4,937 posts, read 7,593,436 times
Streetcar suburb- historic houses, mature trees, established, village-like and hip commercial center with great pubs, restaurants and shops within walking distance to your house and also next to a clean, safe yet dynamic city where you can actually walk downtown/to the ballpark, museums, concerts- and with a magnificent ocean, desert and mountains nearby- oh yeah, got that.

and allenk893, I live on an amazing municipal golf course amongst the arroyos but hell no not gated!

SOUTH PARK San Diego

Old 03-31-2012, 10:14 PM

884 posts, read 1,523,185 times
To be quite honest, a little bit of everything would be nice. It'd be cool to live in Seattle itself. It'd also be nice to live in one of its suburbs. Being in Boulder, a small but busy city, is cool too. Living in Breckenridge would be awesome! Does it qualify as an actual small town? Having a house or cabin on some land in the Yampa Valley would be nice as well.

Ideally, I'd get to try a little of it all!

But if I had to pick one and stick with it, it'd be living in the urban setting, as long as it's close to mountains and whatnot for outdoor activities!

Old 03-31-2012, 10:18 PM

4,937 posts, read 7,593,436 times
Boulder is just about perfection as well.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:36 PM

884 posts, read 1,523,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Boulder is just about perfection as well.
I love it. It's such a destination and employment center though, that for its size I feel like sometimes it's overall buzz can get a little bit overwhelming. Maybe not overwhelming, I feel like that's a bad word choice. Irritating? But slightly so. It's actually not that big of a deal and is the only issue I have, besides not actually being in the middle of the mountains. Ha!

Old 04-01-2012, 08:10 AM

9,745 posts, read 14,181,297 times
Small city, or...large town? I've only lived in two towns, both with roughly 80-110,000 people, and I think that's a good size. You get a lot more conveniences and variety than a very small town, but without the enormity of a big city. I like larger cities, but I find them overwhelming and I'm not sure I could actually live in one. I could possibly live in a small(ish) town, but it couldn't be too small and I'd want to live near the center of everything so I could get by without a car, ideally. I don't think I could live in a rural area, though.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:39 AM

10,422 posts, read 12,414,360 times
Single:
Big City

Relationship:
Small City

Married:
Suburb

Old 04-02-2012, 11:22 AM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 18 days ago)

10,469 posts, read 14,312,551 times
Guess it depends on your definitions. There are people on this forum that will tell you there are only three big cities in the entire country.

I prefer being on the outskirts of a town/city between 15 and 75K, as long as most of my day to day needs can be met there.
Roughly not more than an hour or two from a larger city of around 200K or larger, so that I can make the occasional visit to museums, zoos, and that type of thing.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:15 PM

14,505 posts, read 23,773,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Streetcar suburb- historic houses, mature trees, established, village-like and hip commercial center with great pubs, restaurants and shops within walking distance to your house and also next to a clean, safe yet dynamic city where you can actually walk downtown/to the ballpark, museums, concerts- and with a magnificent ocean, desert and mountains nearby- oh yeah, got that.

and allenk893, I live on an amazing municipal golf course amongst the arroyos but hell no not gated!

SOUTH PARK San Diego
Sounds perfect. What city is this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or