U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 10:57 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,608,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
There are probably a lot of places that are like 20% Irish and 19% Italian for example. They just chose the largest percentage group but there could be multiple other groups close behind.

There is also an Italian county in Rhode Island just so you know.

I am really surprised how many German counties there are, I know it is the largest European ancestry but didnt think it was that widespread.

It is also wierd that there is a French county in Mississippi right next to Louisiana. I woudnt think there were enough French Americans to outnumber other groups there.
Oh, yeah, I figured as much. The Italians would go right behind the Irish in both Boston and Philadelphia, especially the latter. True, if you look at the map, the United States appears to be overwhelmingly Germanic. I also get a kick of the pale yellow, American, what does that mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 11:15 PM

797 posts, read 1,159,241 times
I guess American is what people put when they want to be extra patriotic, or dont know their real ancestry, or refuse to say, or have been in America for so long they dont connect with their real ancestry, or dont like their ancestry, or are just so mixed with different ancestries, or something like that. Way too many counties say just American and there mostly located in the South which probably means something.

My ancestry is syrian (great-grandmother was from Aleppo, Syria) and Irish on my father's side.
On my mother's side I am Italian and French.
I never really asked too much about when they immigrated or stuff like that but it was all somewhere around mid to late 1800's to about 1905 when my Syrian Great-grandmother immigrated.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:38 AM

14,752 posts, read 28,608,889 times
Looking at the map in post #8, ALL of Southern California is predominately Mexican, with the exception of San Luis Obispo County. Growing up, everyone used the term "Mexican." Now you can't say that anymore, even in SoCal. It's "Hispanic." Will political correctness go away?

Old 04-02-2012, 10:59 AM

398 posts, read 621,692 times
With all powers combined...

Black Irish, German, Dutch and Creek (Muscogee) Indian.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:58 PM

20 posts, read 45,024 times
Proud Russian-American! Even with African-Americans being the largest group in Cuyahoga County, in many of the east side suburbs of Cleveland, Russian is dominant. Weve come in two waves: the huge influx of Russian Jews during the Soviet Union, and now still a large growth of non-religious and Orthodox Russians (and others from the former Soviet states)

Old 04-02-2012, 05:54 PM

6,565 posts, read 8,098,810 times
Did I miss something on the map? I didnt see various Asian ancestry shown why is that? One thing this map would show with Asians on it too is that Houston is on the edge of AA/Latin American and Asian bands in the US. Combine that with the energy business bringing in people from the middle east, Western Europe to Russia and Australia as well as Indonesia and you have the makings of a diverse population mix.

Im Scots Irish on my dads side and English on Moms side.

Last edited by Johnhw2; 04-02-2012 at 07:17 PM..

Old 04-02-2012, 07:09 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,947,579 times
british, irish, german, french.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:11 PM

2,081 posts, read 2,898,733 times
Scots-Irish, Welsh, English and German

Old 04-02-2012, 08:19 PM

5,858 posts, read 14,046,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
This is awesome. Thanks. First, looking at the Italians, they are, per the stereotype, prevalent in NYC, NJ and CT, with a few small pockets upstate NY. They don't even make a dent in MA, which registers as almost solidly Irish. It's also informative to see that the ONLY other location in which they are prevalent is immediately north of Miami, and that outline looks like Broward County. They are not even found in great abundance in California's Wine Country.

Then, Finn's only on Michigan's UP.
(Never mind, Jimbo already did a great job of explaining this! I shoulda read his post first)

Old 04-02-2012, 08:30 PM

110 posts, read 248,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Did I miss something on the map? I didnt see various Asian ancestry shown why is that? One thing this map would show with Asians on it too is that Houston is on the edge of AA/Latin American and Asian bands in the US. Combine that with the energy business bringing in people from the middle east, Western Europe to Russia and Australia as well as Indonesia and you have the makings of a diverse population mix.

Im Scots Irish on my dads side and English on Moms side.
Asians only make up a majority in one county, and that's San Francisco. Asians are very well represented in the US, but they're not a large enough group to make up a majority ethnicity in most of the counties across the US. And even if they did, they'd still probably need to be broken up by nationality. I don't really think it's fair to link people from India and China in the same group.

Unfortunately, 2000 was the last census that asked for ancestry. That's why we don't have any data for 2010.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.