U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 06:48 AM

349 posts, read 606,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
There are probably a lot of places that are like 20% Irish and 19% Italian for example. They just chose the largest percentage group but there could be multiple other groups close behind.
There are plenty of answer like that in the West and the Northeast. One county is 15 % German, 14 % English, 13 % Irish and 10 years later is 19 % English, 16 % German and 15 % Irish. Its always changes. If you compare the 1980, 1990 and 2000 US census you'll see there's a lot changes.

so the domination of German ancestry isn't so strong. For example German is the largest ancestry in almost every counties in Minnesota but Scandinavian American which is slightly below have a much greater presence culturally in Minnesota.

Quote:
I guess American is what people put when they want to be extra patriotic, or dont know their real ancestry, or refuse to say, or have been in America for so long they dont connect with their real ancestry, or dont like their ancestry, or are just so mixed with different ancestries, or something like that. Way too many counties say just American and there mostly located in the South which probably means something.
You're right. People who say they're of American ancestry are generally of English, Scottish, Scots-Irish and Welsh ancestry but their families have been in this country so long that they choose to identify simply as having "American" ancestry or don't know their own ancestry.

The south didn't receive a lot of immigrants during the great wave of immigration in the 19th century so most southerners ancestries goes back to the thirteen colonies where most American were of British descent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 05:40 PM

1,230 posts, read 2,839,560 times
Native American (Black Foot and Cherokee) and English

Old 04-03-2012, 06:10 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,518,561 times
i was born in greece and moved here when i was 16 months,so i would say i am a greek but my kids are first generation americans.my wife is also from greece she moved here when she was 20.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:20 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,442,969 times
German - Castle Eltz
English
Irish
Italian
Native American

Old 04-03-2012, 07:06 PM

334 posts, read 864,789 times
i know what and where all my grandparents are:
maternal grandmother: cherokee native american. born in trenton nj.
maternal granfather: 1/2 haitan 1/2 potowotomi native. born in chicagp
paternal grandmother: 1/2 french, other half assumed native american. born on reservation in co.
paternal grandfather: known portuguese ancestry, born sao pualo.

i guess that makes me 1/2 native, 1/4 portuguese, 1/8 haitian, 1/8 french.

found maternal family tree, but not paternal. i dont think ancestry.com is very good, i wouldnt pay for it. the best source is to talk to living relatives that know.

When i lived in NH, i was aware of much more french than english, aside from coos county where 1/4 the people speak french, i thought that was the largest ancestry for the rest of the state.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:47 PM

3,970 posts, read 11,824,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cope1989 View Post
Here is a map of the majority or plurality ancestries in 2000. Note the "American ancestry" I was talking about across the south.

Also of interest:
-German ancestry dominates a huge swath of the country, from the western areas of the NE all the way to the west coast
-English ancestry in Utah, a product of their Mormon history
-Mexican ancestry across the SW, expect for Northern New Mexico, where people claim Spanish ancestry. These people have probably lived there for centuries and are descended from the original Spanish settlers
-Italian ancestry in the greater New York area
-French ancestry in Northern New England and Louisiana. When the Acadians were kicked out of Canada, many settled just south of the border while others went farther south to the Louisiana territory and became Cajun
-Norwegian in Western Minnesota and the Dakotas doncha know
Notice most Native American populations are still mostly in the west and plains.

WA, OR, NV, AZ, NM, MT, SD, ND, OK

Old 04-03-2012, 09:54 PM

955 posts, read 1,554,758 times
3/8 French-Canadian
1/4 Italian
1/8 Polish
1/4 ??? (Some mix of German, English and Irish I believe)

Old 04-03-2012, 10:50 PM

10,024 posts, read 10,559,913 times
Eveb though both sides of my family came to North America fom Scotland in the 1840's they stayed 100% scottish right down the generations to me. I'm the sixth generation off the boat. It's quite amazing the way those Scots stuck together all that time. My generation was the last of it though because of the modern world. Whereas before my time people tended to stay in their own areas they were born and raised in, that all changed in my babyboom generation. It was still unusual in my generation to marry outside of your basic race but now that is not even the norm. My grandchildren are a real united nations.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:06 AM

2,317 posts, read 6,883,916 times
Not going to calculate fractions or percentages, but my ancestry is something like this:

Dad's side:
Grandpa: French, English, possibly Dutch
Grandma: English, Danish

Mom's side:
Grandpa: Aztec, Spanish, possibly other Native Mexican
Grandma: Native Mexican, Spanish, Chinese

As for what I consider my ethnicity? American. Or "West Coast" American.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:48 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,212,583 times
Father's side: (Haplogroup G)
Grandfather traced to England, family-name ancestor immigrated to Virginia in about 1730, became a wealthy planter and friend of George Washington.
Grandmother traced to Ireland, immigrated to Maryland mid 1800s.
Both grandparents born in Missouri.

Mother's side: (Haplogroup J)
Mother's parents born in Lithuania, immigrated to Wisconsin in 1907. Both spoke only Lithuanian.
Grandmother's maiden name suggests Polish origin.
Grandfather's surname now defunct and unknown to Lithuanian genealogists, so of uncertain origin.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-05-2012 at 08:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.