U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 12:04 PM

55 posts, read 119,594 times

Advertisements

I have German, English, Slavic, French, Jewish, and Irish heritage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 04:08 PM

343 posts, read 846,145 times
I don't know my heritage. I suspect this is a rather common issue among white people in the United States. Certainly, at some point, my ancestors lived in Europe, but when and where is unknown to me. It's mostly been too long for any real cultural traditions to have survived, and my parents and grandparents were born in California, as far as I know.

But it never makes me very sad to have no ancestry. It wouldn't change my perspective to find out I was English or German or French. Those terms don't have meaning for me anymore, and I would bet that 'most' people's European ancestries have not been particularly persistent.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:52 PM

120 posts, read 283,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cope1989 View Post
Here is a map of the majority or plurality ancestries in 2000. Note the "American ancestry" I was talking about across the south.
Thanks for this fantastic map AND very informative post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cope1989 View Post
Also of interest:...
-Mexican ancestry across the SW, except for Northern New Mexico, where people claim Spanish ancestry. These people have probably lived there for centuries and are descended from the original Spanish settlers.
Both of my parents originated in Northern New Mexico, proud of being "Spanish" like those mentioned above. My father used to say, proudly, "we weren't immigrants, the U.S came to us."

The genealogy I've been able to discover on my dad's side goes back to the 1800's, all with Spanish surnames. However, when I look at their wonderful faces in photos, my great uncles had high cheekbones and a strong resemblance to native Americans, probably Comanche, who were the invaders of New Mexico in the olden days. Well, they could've been Apache. Most of the great aunts and uncles were very pale; some had dark skin. That's genetics for you.

My dad's first cousin from that age group (now in their 90's) remembers clearly that a GGG ancestor was "half Indian." The genealogy on my mother's side (she's 92) is well chronicled in an excellent book that includes the genealogy of two families and the history of early NM, including the "entrada de tierra adentro" (entry into the interior). The author is my mother's cousin yet his surname is my father's too...typical since our progenitors were sixteen families--all of them in my up-line.

Sunstone Press - THE ADOBE KINGDOM

Interestingly, although his genealogical research is about only two family names (Baca and Lucero), it certainly shows that the early families came from a limited number of Spanish surnames. The genealogy he has documented in his book is true, according to family and church records. The history is also true; the only part fictionalized (he said to me) is his depiction of the original family to emigrate from Spain, whom he presumed to be Safardic Jews avoiding the Spanish Inquisition.

I've always assumed the probability that I come from Native American stock. So, last year, I took a mitochondrial DNA test--that's mother to mother to mother. Yep...I'm part of that Haplogroup C. Family Tree DNA even matched me with a descendant whose genealogical roots were from the area of Sandia Pueblo.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:51 AM

1,376 posts, read 2,513,703 times
On my dad's side: Spanish, Scots-Irish, English, Cherokee
On my mum's side: German, Polish, Ukrainian, Russian, Lithuanian, Czech, and Swedish

Old 04-22-2012, 01:41 PM

7,835 posts, read 19,562,238 times
Polish Jew

Old 04-22-2012, 03:07 PM

6,565 posts, read 8,094,240 times
Fathers side is half Scot and half english.

Mothers side is English both sides.

Old 04-22-2012, 03:10 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,052,638 times
Scandinavian on my mom's side, English on my dad's. The English side is from the colonial era so there is probably some miscellaneous other as well.

Old 04-22-2012, 03:43 PM

6,620 posts, read 11,664,574 times
Mother's Side:

- Slovenian (she's 50%)
- German
- French
- Native American

Father's Side:

- Korean (he's 100%)

Old 04-23-2012, 03:26 PM

1,328 posts, read 1,112,495 times
Maternal side
England
Ireland
Scotland

Paternal side

England
Germany
Switzerland
Alsace Lorraine/Luxembourg area

Old 04-23-2012, 05:12 PM

10,234 posts, read 13,979,154 times
Portuguese. My parents were from the Azores (my dad was actually born here but raised there). We kids were born here, and our mother obtained US citizenship quite quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.