U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-16-2006, 11:37 PM
 
1,126 posts, read 3,571,200 times
Reputation: 413

Advertisements

There has been a lot of talk of the best places to live. Here is a link of the top 300 worst places to live in the USA

http://moving.about.com/gi/dynamic/o...Fcit00dang.htm

 
Old 09-17-2006, 07:52 AM
 
Location: Union County, NC
2,115 posts, read 6,452,717 times
Reputation: 1130
Nothing comes up when I try that link.

SL
 
Old 09-17-2006, 12:28 PM
 
2,301 posts, read 1,904,035 times
Reputation: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoAlley View Post
There has been a lot of talk of the best places to live. Here is a link of the top 300 worst places to live in the USA

http://moving.about.com/gi/dynamic/o...Fcit00dang.htm

I don't believe those stats on the most dangerous cities, it places Phoenix and Charlotte as more dangerous than Las Vegas. I don't believe that for a minute. Vegas is really violent. I guess they hush a lot of those crimes up because it makes for bad publicity.
 
Old 09-17-2006, 01:13 PM
 
5,265 posts, read 14,912,718 times
Reputation: 4239
You're right. That's actually what they advertise to get people to come there....... "What happens in Vegas; stays in Vegas".
 
Old 09-17-2006, 01:21 PM
 
2,301 posts, read 1,904,035 times
Reputation: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
You're right. That's actually what they advertise to get people to come there....... "What happens in Vegas; stays in Vegas".
That's so funny I never thought of that. Good one.
 
Old 09-17-2006, 07:56 PM
 
1,126 posts, read 3,571,200 times
Reputation: 413
A red dot for this? Oh brother. PM me next time. Its funny how people complain when you point out crime in their area, but isn't that why this forum does so well (25k threads)? People don't want to just get up and move some where they have no idea. So, they come here for ideas, stats, etc. This isn't BINGO, its a place to get information. Good or bad.

Last edited by TornadoAlley; 09-17-2006 at 08:04 PM..
 
Old 09-17-2006, 08:09 PM
 
2,301 posts, read 1,904,035 times
Reputation: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoAlley View Post
A red dot for this? Oh brother. PM me next time. Its funny how people complain when you point out crime in their area, but isn't that why this forum does so well (25k threads)? People don't want to just get up and move some where they have no idea. So, they come here for ideas, stats, etc. This isn't BINGO, its a place to get information. Good or bad.
Don't feel bad I got 2 red dots in the last 2 days no initials just a stupid comment.
 
Old 09-18-2006, 12:49 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn New York
956 posts, read 4,075,052 times
Reputation: 365
It is usually the perception of safety, not the reality of it that people notice.
The South historically has the highest murder rates in the country.
Highest Murder Rate STATE PER 100,000
(1) Louisiana 13.0
(2) Maryland 9.5
(3) Mississippi 9.3
(4) Nevada 8.8
(5) Arizona 7.9
(6) Georgia 7.6
(7) South Carolina 7.2
(8) California 6.8
(9) Tennessee 6.8
(10) Alabama 6.6

Lowest Murder Rate
STATE PER 100,000
(1) Maine 1.2
(2) South Dakota 1.3
(3) New Hampshire 1.4
(4) Iowa 1.6
(5) Hawaii 1.7
(6) Idaho 1.8
(7) North Dakota 1.9
(8) Oregon 1.9
(9) Massachusetts 2.2
(10) Rhode Island 2.3
 
Old 09-18-2006, 12:54 PM
 
5,265 posts, read 14,912,718 times
Reputation: 4239
no surprises there. I've tried to explain that the south overall has much more crime than the NE on here before but haven't gotten the best response. The interior mountain west and northeast are the two safest areas of the country; and the south, by far, is the most "dangerious" (It's really not dangerous, just has higher crime rates)
 
Old 09-18-2006, 01:41 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,269 posts, read 88,605,943 times
Reputation: 39870
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
no surprises there. I've tried to explain that the south overall has much more crime than the NE on here before but haven't gotten the best response. The interior mountain west and northeast are the two safest areas of the country; and the south, by far, is the most "dangerious" (It's really not dangerous, just has higher crime rates)
NOT to start an argument, BUT...you need to understand the causes of these higher muder statistics to fully appreciate them. The south still lags behind many areas of the country in job creation and salaries. Basically, there is more poverty overall in the south than the other regions. This poverty often leads to stressors and tensions that contribute substantially to domestic violence murders - husbands killing wives or children, brothers killing brothers, women killing their men in self-defence ect... In addition, we tend to have a lot of "black on black" crime or "black on hispanic" crime since many in those communities don't trust banks and carry all their money with them all the time. Not that every single murdered person was not a valuable soul, but they just don't represent the people relocating here at all. The vast majority of people relocating to the south for jobs and a slower pace of life will be even safer here than where they came from, simply because they are not in the groups of people most likely to be victims of violent crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top