U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 01:22 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,536,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
There's a large divide between Eastern and Western MA. Western MA is largely rural with some larger hills whereas Eastern MA is mostly metro Boston (in fact, metro Boston extends into NH and RI). You can break the state into thirds as well: East, Central and West. Central MA is really a transition zone with Worcester being the principal city in the middle of it. East of Worcester is the start of metro Boston. West of Worcester, it starts to become more and more rural.

Eastern MA is often broken into even smaller unofficial distinctions. Inside of the route 128 belt, you have the urban core of metro Boston. West of 128, you have the "Metro West" suburbs. North of 128, you have the North Shore (places like Salem, Beverly and Marblehead aren't technically north of 128 but are considered North Shore too). South of 128, you have the South Shore. South of the South Shore, you have the South Coast which is largely an extension of metro Providence and south-facing coastline. You also, of course, have Cape Cod and the islands.
Don't Forget the Merrimack Valley, with many industral cities like Lowell, Lawrence, Haverhill, Amesbury, and smaller towns like Chelmsford where linked to the River. Which is distint from the Coast IMO which revolves around Fishing and Historically Trade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 01:45 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,733,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDJohns View Post
Upstate NY (everything north of Rockland and Westchester counties) and downstate NY(everything below).

Extremely different in terms of appearence but still very similar in terms of the people.
Yeah, no. No no no. Maybe in more urban areas perhaps, but there is a huge difference in the people. HUGE.

Talk to more native rural or small town upstaters, not transplants. Hell I dare you to tell a native of Buffalo he's just like somebody from Long Island! I DARE you.

Sans the major urban areas: Upstate is far more conservative than downstate, infinitely more rural, has a large Amish and Mennonite population, there is a bigger emphasis on religion, there are bluegrass concerts and county fairs, it is much more heavily forested and/or covered in farmland, and there is FAR LESS crime than downstate. It is also more heavily German, English and Scotch than downstate. Downstate is more Jewish, Irish, Asian and Italian. There are also more blacks downstate.

And the biggest difference is that native upstaters are typically much friendlier.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:54 PM

8,001 posts, read 16,055,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Don't Forget the Merrimack Valley, with many industral cities like Lowell, Lawrence, Haverhill, Amesbury, and smaller towns like Chelmsford where linked to the River. Which is distint from the Coast IMO which revolves around Fishing and Historically Trade.
True! I always forget to mark that as distinctly different. I always just lump it in with the South Shore.

I'm also confused on where to put places like Taunton, Norton, Attleboro, etc. They're not REALLY South Shore. They're also not South Coast or Metro West. There's really no name for that region that I've ever heard aside from "Greater Attleboro-Taunton." Maybe the "Jewelry Belt" would work since both Taunton and Attleboro did a lot of that type of manufacturing.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:56 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,536,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
True! I always forget to mark that as distinctly different. I always just lump it in with the South Shore.

I'm also confused on where to put places like Taunton, Norton, Attleboro, etc. They're not REALLY South Shore. They're also not South Coast or Metro West. There's really no name for that region that I've ever heard aside from "Greater Attleboro-Taunton." Maybe the "Jewelry Belt" would work since both Taunton and Attleboro did a lot of that type of manufacturing.
ITs more of an Inland/coastal Divide than anything, in my Opinion.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:18 PM

14,505 posts, read 23,773,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Yeah, no. No no no. Maybe in more urban areas perhaps, but there is a huge difference in the people. HUGE.

Talk to more native rural or small town upstaters, not transplants. Hell I dare you to tell a native of Buffalo he's just like somebody from Long Island! I DARE you.

Sans the major urban areas: Upstate is far more conservative than downstate, infinitely more rural, has a large Amish and Mennonite population, there is a bigger emphasis on religion, there are bluegrass concerts and county fairs, it is much more heavily forested and/or covered in farmland, and there is FAR LESS crime than downstate. It is also more heavily German, English and Scotch than downstate. Downstate is more Jewish, Irish, Asian and Italian. There are also more blacks downstate.

And the biggest difference is that native upstaters are typically much friendlier.
There are plenty of germans on Long Island as well.

Upstate NY is a huge region. I went to school at Syracuse, do not recall there or Oswego being a hotbed of religion....

Old 04-06-2012, 02:24 PM

3,234 posts, read 7,628,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post

Most of the population centers in upstate have similar demographics downstate such as large Italian and Irish populations and even some places with large Jewish populations.
The areas you describe have low populations. When speaking in general terms, you go with where the majority of the people are; in urban centers. And in the urban centers, people are more liberal, and have demographics more similar to downstate(compared to the rural areas).
And I have heard people(native long islanders) make Long Island and upstate city comparisons.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:48 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,733,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Most of the population centers in upstate have similar demographics downstate such as large Italian and Irish populations and even some places with large Jewish populations.
The areas you describe have low populations. When speaking in general terms, you go with where the majority of the people are; in urban centers. And in the urban centers, people are more liberal, and have demographics more similar to downstate(compared to the rural areas).
And I have heard people(native long islanders) make Long Island and upstate city comparisons.
Granted, but I grew up in the hills of Schuyler and Steuben counties. And I'd take serious offense at somebody saying I was just like an urban downstater.

As for people like myself, there is little if any similarity at all to downstate folk. Now if you compare us to Pennsylvanians you'd have a real argument.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:33 PM

15,504 posts, read 17,728,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDJohns View Post
Upstate NY (everything north of Rockland and Westchester counties) and downstate NY(everything below).

Extremely different in terms of appearence but still very similar in terms of the people.
I disagree with your boundaries and really,there is no real final authority. Even state developed maps differ. I put the boundary above Dutchess and Ulster. I know more than a few people from Jefferson county and the Adirondacks/North Country who consider anything south of Albany to be downstate.

In my opinion, cullturally speaking, rural downstaters are much like rural upstaters. Urban/suburban downstaters are much like urban/suburban upstaters.

The biggest cultural/regional differences in NY are east/west and urban/rural, not north/south. And the southern tier is a whole different world from upstate, downstate, central or western NY. It is Appalachia.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:15 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,172,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Nuts.

The greater spatial area of NY has a totally different citizenry than downstate.

Upstate and the city are completely different cultures and people. You can't argue differently because it is blatantly obvious. Go to a county fair in Morris or Walton, and you will see they are nothing alike.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:53 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,833,631 times
Nebraska:

Outside of Omaha-Lincoln has called 'out-state' Nebraska which has angered many people. News stations quit using that term because it made too many rural citizens angry.

Another one would be the panhandle, the sandhills, central Nebraska (tri-cities region with counties just to the north and south), northeast Nebraska, Metro nebraska (Omaha/Lincoln/Fremont) and southeast nebraska. These are cultural boundaries which has - in some cases - been following topographic boundaries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or