U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 09:53 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,733,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I disagree with your boundaries and really,there is no real final authority. Even state developed maps differ. I put the boundary above Dutchess and Ulster. I know more than a few people from Jefferson county and the Adirondacks/North Country who consider anything south of Albany to be downstate.

In my opinion, cullturally speaking, rural downstaters are much like rural upstaters. Urban/suburban downstaters are much like urban/suburban upstaters.

The biggest cultural/regional differences in NY are east/west and urban/rural, not north/south. And the southern tier is a whole different world from upstate, downstate, central or western NY. It is Appalachia.
Alright, I can agree with this actually.

I am from the southern tier, maybe that's why I feel there is such a big divide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 10:08 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,903,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Alright, I can agree with this actually.

I am from the southern tier, maybe that's why I feel there is such a big divide.
I have to say Cookie that I often disagree with your opinions on New York State. I believe you way overemphasize the "Appalachia" thing for New York as a whole, but like you say, that could be because you are from the Southern Tier. However, I do commend you for always stating your opinion in a friendly manner, that is key.

As for Long Island, we are divided into the North Shore & South Shores, the East End, North Fork, South Fork, the West End (rare) and Pine Barrens.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:38 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,802,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

North of Gainesville, people call it The Real Florida.
Which "people"? The Palin Family?

Old 04-07-2012, 12:04 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,733,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I have to say Cookie that I often disagree with your opinions on New York State. I believe you way overemphasize the "Appalachia" thing for New York as a whole, but like you say, that could be because you are from the Southern Tier. However, I do commend you for always stating your opinion in a friendly manner, that is key.

As for Long Island, we are divided into the North Shore & South Shores, the East End, North Fork, South Fork, the West End (rare) and Pine Barrens.
I honestly try not to be a jerk about things. And when I'm wrong, and that happens, I do my best to admit it. I probably come off a lot worse through text than if I were talking to you in person.

As far as my experiences in NY, I've never lied or exaggerated. And I even took pictures of my old home to prove it (they are right here at CD). I guess I just came from a very (ignored?) sub-culture in the state.

Maybe I'm the only one with internet access. lol

I am starting to think it may be exclusive to the southern tier. As often the people who agree with me are also from that region.

Old 04-07-2012, 02:37 AM

9,425 posts, read 18,327,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Which "people"? The Palin Family?
LOL! I'm going to have to give you a big high five on this one.

Old 04-08-2012, 05:16 PM

3,234 posts, read 7,629,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Nuts.

The greater spatial area of NY has a totally different citizenry than downstate.

Upstate and the city are completely different cultures and people. You can't argue differently because it is blatantly obvious. Go to a county fair in Morris or Walton, and you will see they are nothing alike.
Please re-read what I wrote. I did not say they were exactly the same. I gave some similarities between the urban centers of upstate and downstate. Nowhere did I say that they had the same culture. A person from Syracuse or Rochester metro area will have more in common with somebody from Long Island or Westchester than they would with somebody from Hamilton county or Endicott.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:29 PM

5,859 posts, read 14,048,152 times
In Minnesota, the most prominent divisions are "The Cites" (MSP Metro, where the bulk of the state's population lives), "The Range" (the area around the Mesabi and Vermillion Iron Ranges which are ethnically and economically distinct), and pretty much the rest of the state.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahahonors View Post
Nebraska:

Outside of Omaha-Lincoln has called 'out-state' Nebraska which has angered many people. News stations quit using that term because it made too many rural citizens angry.

Another one would be the panhandle, the sandhills, central Nebraska (tri-cities region with counties just to the north and south), northeast Nebraska, Metro nebraska (Omaha/Lincoln/Fremont) and southeast nebraska. These are cultural boundaries which has - in some cases - been following topographic boundaries.
Same thing here in MN. The "outstaters" insisted on their parts of the state being called "Greater Minnesota", which makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, since "greater" used geographically means the area plus the surrounding areas. For example, Greater St Louis means St Louis city plus all of the surrounding area. So Greater MN would mean MN plus the surrounding states.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDJohns View Post
Upstate NY (everything north of Rockland and Westchester counties) and downstate NY(everything below).

Extremely different in terms of appearence but still very similar in terms of the people.
I agree with your definition of upstate and downstate 100%! That's how I learned it when growing up there. Just curious, are you a native or a transplant?

Old 04-08-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
North of I-80, the culture and the built environment are similar to the southern tier of upstate New York. South of I-80 is where most of the action has been throughout Pennsylvania's history, so most things that are considered "quintessential Pennsylvania" originated from there.
Well, don't forget America's first oil well in NW PA and the anthracite mining industry in NE PA. They are "quintessential PA" to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or