U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 06:28 PM

2 posts, read 1,842 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I'll be a senior in college next year and I'm starting to look into where I might want to live when I graduate. I've been doing some research on my own but if anyone has some advice for me (which city might fit/where should I stay away from) that would be great. I'm open to living in a lot of places particularly in the southern states, here are my criteria:

I want to be somewhere warm -- I'm currently living in the northeast and I'm not a fan of the snow and cold weather. Humidity isn't a problem because I used to live overseas. I think a small to mid-size city would be best because I want some nightlife but I don't want it to be too big or overwhelming. I'll be in the healthcare industry so I'd like to be near at least one hospital. I'm also kind of conservative, so I'd like a place that has similar values. Ideally I'd like be near the coast or less than two hours away from the water, but if I found a place I loved I'd be willing to give that up. And this isn't a requirement but it would also be nice to find a place where the guys are real gentlemen.

With all this in mind, I've come up with Charleston and Savannah. I'm not crazy about Florida so that's off the table but I'd be open to any other state in the south.

If anyone has any other places in mind I'd like to hear them. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 07:20 PM

6,573 posts, read 8,105,591 times
Houston, its close to the gulf has a job adding economy and some consider it southern. I dont but I worked for an international company and associated with internationals. Its humid but with nice winters. People are friendly to all and for a big city its pretty laid back.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:33 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,767,031 times
Houston is not a small city..
Lafayette, Louisiana is full of friendly Cajuns, good nightlife, a steadily growing economy, a smaller size, conservative but not overwhelmingly, and about an hour from the coast, although not what you get in Savannah or Charleston.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:58 PM

56,636 posts, read 80,930,134 times
Perhaps Mobile Alabama, Wilmington NC, Virginia Beach VA, Richmond VA and Columbia SC.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:49 PM

10,789 posts, read 9,428,839 times
San Antonio. The healthcare industry is big there, the climate is warm, and the Gulf is less than a couple of hours away. I second Lafayette. It's probably the most underrated city in the country, my sister lived there and loved it, the people are friendly and conservative but not overtly so, and the Gulf beckons.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:10 PM

29,944 posts, read 27,386,421 times
Charleston sounds like it would be a really good fit. It definitely fits the small/midsized metro criteria, healthcare is a significant part of the local economy since the city is home to the Medical University of SC, it's politically moderate, and has great nightlife.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:39 AM

21,195 posts, read 30,379,606 times
You might also check out Columbia, SC

Columbia is the state capital and home of the University of South Carolina which gives it more vibrancy than a city of it's size. There's always a lot going on and besides being an easy two hour drive to the beach or mountains, it's close to Lake Murray which is a very popular recreational area in SC. There are a number of major medical facilities in the city as well.

Columbia, South Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Visit Columbia SC - Hotels, Restaurants, Things to Do - Columbia Metropolitan CVB
Lake Murray Country
University Specialty Clinics - South Carolina School of Medicine
Hospitals
Hospital Locations | Columbia Midlands | Lexington Medical, SC
Providence Hospitals - Our Hospitals
Wm. Jennings Bryan Dorn VAMC Home

Old 04-03-2012, 04:24 PM

10,162 posts, read 6,493,522 times
Charleston, SC. Check it out. The best of SC

Charleston reviews (http://chrisdeloach.com/ratings.aspx - broken link)

Old 04-03-2012, 05:18 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,092,368 times
Corpus Christi might work don't know how the nightlife is though

Corpus Christi Hotels, Attractions, Group Tours, Beaches & Texas Vacations in Corpus Christi

Corpus Christi Chamber of Commerce - Your business resource

Old 04-04-2012, 08:45 AM

23,645 posts, read 33,439,851 times
Huntsville, Alabama comes to mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or