U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 04-03-2012, 11:02 PM

155 posts, read 65,118 times
Default How much does each state spend on welfare and food stamps?

I tried looking this up on google but couldn't find much. Does anyone know of a link that tells us this?
Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-04-2012, 04:06 PM

22,651 posts, read 13,977,530 times
This is about all I could find. Keep in mind that percentages will vary depending on population of the states and there isn't any dollar amounts listed. Also welfare and food stamps are different topics and state lists would keep them separated for the most part. You might want to search for federal money allocated to states for welfare needs. This would give more information but not a total breakdown.

South Carolina
Percentage of population on food stamps: 18.2 percent
Annual change in food stamps from 2010: 7.1%
2010 total state population: 4,625,364

Maine
Percentage of population on food stamps: 18.6 percent
Annual change in food stamps from 2010: 8 %
2010 total state population: 1,328,361

West Virginia
Percentage of population on food stamps: 18.7 percent
Annual change in food stamps from 2010: 2.4 %
2010 total state population: 1,852,994

Kentucky
Percentage of population on food stamps: 18.8 percent
Annual change in food stamps from 2010: 5.9 %
2010 total state population: 4,339,367

Louisiana

Percentage of population on food stamps: 19.2 percent
Annual change in food stamps from 2010: 7.5%
2010 total state population: 4,533,372

Michigan

Percentage of population on food stamps: 19.7 percent
Annual change in food stamps from 2010: 11.4%
2010 total state population: 9,883,640

New Mexico

Percentage of population on food stamps: 19.8 percent
Annual change in food stamps from 2010: 17.9%
2010 total state population: 2,059,179

Tennessee

Percentage of population on food stamps: 19.8 percent
Annual change in food stamps from 2010: 17.9%
2010 total state population: 6.2million

Oregon

Percentage of population on food stamps: 20.1 percent
Annual change in food stamps from 2010: 9.6%
2010 total state population: 3,831,074

Mississippi

Percentage of population on food stamps: 20.7 percent
Annual change in food stamps from 2010: 8.4%
2010 total state population: 2,967,297

10 States That Rely The Most On Food Stamps: USDA

How States Are Spending Their Welfare Money—Or Not | Dollars & Sense

Many States Cutting TANF Benefits Harshly Despite High Unemployment and Unprecedented Need — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

Unread 04-04-2012, 06:16 PM

8,687 posts, read 11,764,446 times
The numbers are crazy. I've never even seen a food stamp or anyone using them in any stores. I've never even heard anyone mention them out loud before either here or in Iowa. Obviously people use them, but I'm guessing they must be much more used in certain areas of the metro.

Unread 04-04-2012, 06:44 PM

3,094 posts, read 2,004,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
The numbers are crazy. I've never even seen a food stamp or anyone using them in any stores. I've never even heard anyone mention them out loud before either here or in Iowa. Obviously people use them, but I'm guessing they must be much more used in certain areas of the metro.
Persons who hold food stamp benefits are far from being relegated to certain areas of town, although there certainly will be a concentration in areas that are clearly downtrodden or ghetto. Traditional paper food stamps are no longer used. The monetary credit for food is put on an EBT (electronic benefit transfer) card that works just like a debit card, which is part of a national network and can be used in every state, I believe. Look up online what your state's EBT card looks like and then pay attention in the checkout lines, you'll surely see one.

Last edited by MOKAN; 04-04-2012 at 07:22 PM..

Unread 04-05-2012, 07:57 AM

7,035 posts, read 6,433,105 times
I see them all the time here in Duluth, Minnesota. Our poverty rate is twice the state average, and many are in dire need with the current state of the economy.

It's curious how poverty is demonized on these forums. Most here have probably not been poor, or come from a poor background.

Unread 04-05-2012, 08:22 AM

8,156 posts, read 11,722,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
It's curious how poverty is demonized on these forums. Most here have probably not been poor, or come from a poor background.
Then again, some of us have and don't believe the government is the solution, and that feeding people instead of making them self reliant is the wrong approach...again, some of us who grew up poor and pulled out might think that.

This is the land of opportunity, not guarantees. You have to work for it, not just show up with your hand out.
I am for doing good to the poor, but...I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. I observed...that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.
― Benjamin Franklin

Unread 04-05-2012, 08:49 AM

23,550 posts, read 27,957,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Then again, some of us have and don't believe the government is the solution, and that feeding people instead of making them self reliant is the wrong approach...again, some of us who grew up poor and pulled out might think that.

This is the land of opportunity, not guarantees. You have to work for it, not just show up with your hand out.
I am for doing good to the poor, but...I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. I observed...that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.
― Benjamin Franklin
For people who CAN work, I agree that the solution is to lead them to self sufficiency. On the other hand, for the sick, old and young we have to do what we can to help them.

Unread 04-05-2012, 08:58 AM

8,156 posts, read 11,722,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
For people who CAN work, I agree that the solution is to lead them to self sufficiency. On the other hand, for the sick, old and young we have to do what we can to help them.
Of course.

Unread 04-05-2012, 01:12 PM

445 posts, read 333,816 times
Quote:
Of course.
it's this last bit that a lot of people seem to forget, especially at P&OC.

Unread 04-05-2012, 09:23 PM

7,035 posts, read 6,433,105 times
Quote:

― Benjamin Franklin
I agree, but sometimes people need a hand. Not everybody can lift themselves up unaided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.