Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 04:14 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,739,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Technically, the hills in my beloved Sainte Genevieve County are foothills of mountains.
Just really ancient ones.

St. Francois Mountains - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yeah, I dont think it's too much of a stretch to call these mountains...

they're just a little worn-down
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 04:20 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,980,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post

Makes me homesick just to look at the pic.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:50 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,973,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post

I don't see why so many people take issue with calling places like the St. Francois, Bostons, or Ouachitas mountains - they are, in my mind. I've only been in the Sierras in west-central Mexico outside Puerto Vallarta and have never seen huge mountains like the Rockies in person, just photos of Colorado and Banff, but I have no problem recognizing the ranges in the Ozarks and Ouachitas as mountains. To me, not recognizing said ranges as mountains is like not recognizing a Ford Ranger as a truck. Like some F-350 driver saying about somebody's Ranger "that? that's not a truck!". But then of course, where perspective comes into play, the Bostons and Ouachitas were imprinted upon me from a very young age and were the most dramatic terrain I had ever encountered at that time.

Here's a photo of he Ouachita mountains of southeast Oklahoma to compare to the above photo of the St. Francois mountains of southeast Missouri:

Old 04-04-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
I don't see why so many people take issue with calling places like the St. Francois, Bostons, or Ouachitas mountains - they are, in my mind. I've only been in the Sierras in west-central Mexico outside Puerto Vallarta and have never seen huge mountains like the Rockies in person, just photos of Colorado and Banff, but I have no problem recognizing the ranges in the Ozarks and Ouachitas as mountains. To me, not recognizing said ranges as mountains is like not recognizing a Ford Ranger as a truck. Like some F-350 driver saying about somebody's Ranger "that? that's not a truck!". But then of course, where perspective comes into play, the Bostons and Ouachitas were imprinted upon me from a very young age and were the most dramatic terrain I had ever encountered at that time.

Here's a photo of he Ouachita mountains of southeast Oklahoma to compare to the above photo of the St. Francois mountains of southeast Missouri:
I never got that, either.
Seems that the geologists know enough to call them mountains.
Of course, the 350/Ranger thing is compensation, you know?
Perhaps its the same thing for these ancient mountain ranges.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:

Old 04-04-2012, 07:16 PM

7,888 posts, read 11,400,197 times
Quote:
I agree, and to not mention Mountains in Ok, Missouri leaves the wrong impression that they are both solely flat lander states. Both of the pictures above are impressive and definately mountains not in the rockies or Sierra Nevada ranges. Great thread

Old 04-04-2012, 07:31 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,538,830 times
Quote:

Ya, I agree with you on the mountain designation.

I'm still not going to call a reservoir a "lake" and I have debated that point before on other threads. Actually, one of the highest collection of freshwater olligotrophic lakes in the continental US are found in northern Wisconsin. Go to google earth and look up eagle river, minocqua, woodruff, boulder junction area of Wisconsin. Now THOSE lakes are the REAL DEAL.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Ya, I agree with you on the mountain designation.

I'm still not going to call a reservoir a "lake" and I have debated that point before on other threads. Actually, one of the highest collection of freshwater olligotrophic lakes in the continental US are found in northern Wisconsin. Go to google earth and look up eagle river, minocqua, woodruff, boulder junction area of Wisconsin. Now THOSE lakes are the REAL DEAL.
I've seen you spreading the facts on the difference between a natural lake and man-made reservoir before. I get it. But still places like Table Rock are pretty lakes. And the others at least provide recreational boating, jetskiing, waterskiing, tubing, swimming, fishing, etc.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:41 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,538,830 times
Quote:
I've seen you spreading the facts on the difference between a natural lake and man-made reservoir before. I get it. But still places like Table Rock are pretty lakes. And the others at least provide recreational boating, jetskiing, waterskiing, tubing, swimming, fishing, etc.
Fair enough. But I would recommend a trip to see Northwoods lakes if you've never been up there. I would say the difference are quite enormous.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
I agree, and to not mention Mountains in Ok, Missouri leaves the wrong impression that they are both solely flat lander states. Both of the pictures above are impressive and definately mountains not in the rockies or Sierra Nevada ranges. Great thread
I never did understand why people think MO and OK are flat....all one has to do is look at a topographical map.
Folks that do that must be doing a drive by on interstates, ugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.