U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-04-2012, 12:11 PM
 
Location: Cleveland bound with MPLS in the rear-view
5,530 posts, read 10,134,238 times
Reputation: 2384

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Atlanta
When I think of the ATL, I usually think of a city with white people holding hands and polluting the sky with contemptness (and then cleaning it, because they are so clean!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-04-2012, 12:26 PM
 
1,911 posts, read 3,239,394 times
Reputation: 910
I think what the OP is looking for - places that personify the "Stuff White People Like" stereotype on several levels. A very khaki-wearing, onion-reading, traderjoe's/whole foods culture, microbreweries-over-clubs at any costs type of place.

While not technically big cities, Des Moines, IA and Madison, WI come to mind. In Des Moines for example, Trader Joe's is literally the most amazing place on the planet. There is also a certain type of sarcasm you find in these places, it's hard to explain but if you've been there long enough you'll know.

You have this culture as well in the bigger cities, but it doesn't seem as prevalent because of the nearby diversity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2012, 12:33 PM
 
Location: IN
20,846 posts, read 35,932,344 times
Reputation: 13287
The Appalachians and the Upper Midwest have always had the highest percentages of the total population that identifies as "White," European American. The areas today that are the least diverse tend to be the most geographically isolated, very far to the north, or have a poor economy. In-migration tends to be lower in thse places as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2012, 12:38 PM
 
Location: IN
20,846 posts, read 35,932,344 times
Reputation: 13287
Small Cities:
La Crosse, WI
Madison, WI
Duluth, MN
Fargo, ND
Sioux Falls, SD
Rochester, MN
Traverse City, MI
Columbus, IN
Lincoln, NE
Burlington, VT
Portland, OR
Portland, ME
Bangor, ME
Johnstown, PA
Altoona, PA
Boone, NC
Crossville, TN
London, KY
Zanesville, OH
Springfield, MO
Durango, CO
Missoula, MT
Spokane, WA
Asheville, NC
Roanoke, VA
Keene, NH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2012, 12:38 PM
 
Location: Austin, Texas, USA
1,309 posts, read 2,352,572 times
Reputation: 1196
I immediately thought of Stuff White People Like, and then thought of Portlandia...I'm gonna go with Portland. Salt Lake City and Madison came to mind, but I'm not sure of their exact demographics...I think it'd be pretty hard to find a major city with 85%+ white. Burlington, VT is around 90% white I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
I think what the OP is looking for - places that personify the "Stuff White People Like" stereotype on several levels. A very khaki-wearing, onion-reading, traderjoe's/whole foods culture, microbreweries-over-clubs at any costs type of place.

While not technically big cities, Des Moines, IA and Madison, WI come to mind. In Des Moines for example, Trader Joe's is literally the most amazing place on the planet. There is also a certain type of sarcasm you find in these places, it's hard to explain but if you've been there long enough you'll know.

You have this culture as well in the bigger cities, but it doesn't seem as prevalent because of the nearby diversity.
Ah, beat me to it This, exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2012, 12:42 PM
 
Location: IN
20,846 posts, read 35,932,344 times
Reputation: 13287
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnLion512 View Post
I immediately thought of Stuff White People Like, and then thought of Portlandia...I'm gonna go with Portland. Salt Lake City and Madison came to mind, but I'm not sure of their exact demographics...I think it'd be pretty hard to find a major city with 85%+ white. Burlington, VT is around 90% white I believe.



Ah, beat me to it This, exactly.
I usually think adirondack chairs, microbrews, subarus, trader joes, INDEPNDENT book stores!

Last edited by GraniteStater; 04-04-2012 at 01:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2012, 12:45 PM
 
Location: Austin, Texas, USA
1,309 posts, read 2,352,572 times
Reputation: 1196
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I usually think adirondack chairs, microbrews, subarus, trader joes,
Really anything off of the full list Full disclosure: I dearly love all of the things you listed, and many more listed in the book. "Microbrewery-over-club at any cost", as RonnieJonez put it, sounds fantastic to me.

Full List of Stuff White People Like Stuff White People Like
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2012, 01:13 PM
 
Location: IN
20,846 posts, read 35,932,344 times
Reputation: 13287
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnLion512 View Post
Really anything off of the full list Full disclosure: I dearly love all of the things you listed, and many more listed in the book. "Microbrewery-over-club at any cost", as RonnieJonez put it, sounds fantastic to me.

Full List of Stuff White People Like Stuff White People Like
25-50% of those items on the list are applicable to myself.
Good link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2012, 01:17 PM
 
Location: New England
8,155 posts, read 18,619,502 times
Reputation: 3292
Southern New Hampshire, and Southern Maine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2012, 01:26 PM
 
Location: university city
344 posts, read 723,343 times
Reputation: 113
I am the OP
thanks guys for all of the genuine suggestions. and btw, i am open to cities of any size.
and thanks for ignoring the immature ppl who are trying to turn this into a flame war and the one illfated attempt at criticizing my request. in my OP, these ppl were already discounted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top