U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 11:58 PM

29,124 posts, read 22,059,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Personally, I recommend ANY city in Orange County California. It fits most of your criteria to a tee. Happy searching!
The OP will be in for a BIG shock if they follow your advice and then steps foot in Santa Ana!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 12:07 AM

797 posts, read 1,161,283 times
It would definitely not be Boston, that city's white population is around 50%.

Definitely not Brownsville, Texas which is 90%+ hispanic.

I would pick Portland, Oregon becuase it seems to fulfill almost every white stereotype.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:13 AM

29,124 posts, read 22,059,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BitofEndearment View Post
Odd question. Seattle has a substantial Asian population so I would not qualify it. Maybe Provo? I don't know. Why would these qualifications even make it the capital of white America?
Yes! I find it odd that many of the posters here are naming Seattle as the capital of white America. I wonder how many of those people have really been to Seattle. Not only is the Asian population sizeable - but Seattle also has significant black, Hispanic, and Native American populations. Columbia City has been called "one of the most diverse neighborhood in America". Zip decoding: Can one Seattle area serve as model of diversity? | Grist, The area where I lived in Seattle was racially mixed and when I visit and walk around the city it never ocurrs to me that the city is "white".

Maybe the people who nominate Seattle have only seen the city as portrayed in Frazier and Sleepless in Seattle?

Incidentally, Seattle is listed as an option for "The Capital of Black America" poll and has received 5 votes!
Capital of Black America?

Old 04-05-2012, 12:16 AM

14,111 posts, read 22,779,668 times
Yeah, Orange County from the stats I've seen is at least half Hispanic. And Brownsville TX is one of the most Hispanic cities in the US.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:30 AM

8,155 posts, read 18,634,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serpent_of_old View Post
wowwwww
thanks so much
previously i was under the impression that the deep northeast was super conservative and potentially wouldnt fit
i am definitely looking into these cities!!
In a two party, two color system I can how it's easy to hear "conservative" and that's that. The reality is New Hampshire (And most of ME) is "live free or die". More libertarian than anything.

I think it's more literally "content of character" thing. You won't find people looking at you funny. Just the opposite IMHO. However you show up in a Lexus with 22" wheels, blacked out windows and step out looking like this with 50 cent or whatever booming...expect some resistance.

I would say the same thing if it was "white thugs". It's more cultural than color IMHO.

You'd be 4 hours from Montreal, 3ish to NYC, 1 hour to Boston, less than 1 hour to the White Mountains (Breathtaking), and on the seacoast etc.

IMHO you just find things in a city like Portsmouth that you have a hard time finding in a lot of smaller American cities. Places like European style cafe's, art galleries, unique shops etc etc. It has a colonial/european feel to it.

You can pop down a side alley and find something like this:

Anyhow, I won't bore you with more minutia but would definitely take a peek. BTW, I don't live there but spend a lot of time in NH. I live in CT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpent_of_old View Post
pardon me
i AM the nonwhite half
there was no way that we could get through this entire thread without someone making this assumption
i dont care about color
i am DONE with those who do
what i described isnt some mental ideal, is how i frickin grew up!
see the part in my OP where it suggests to save your criticisms
i'm also done with people who cannot read (my OP)
i hope this helps
Eh, don't sweat it...I think most of us get what you are saying. It's a cultural thing and not a color thing per say. It's a shame that we've gotten to the point that you can't say "white" without all hell breaking loose. It's no different than someone saying "I want to live in an Asian community" or whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Great snaps! However there's a black dude in one of those pictures playing chess. Therefore Portsmouth = Disqualified haha.
lol Hey I did say there was about 3% of "others" living there.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:15 AM

56,747 posts, read 81,061,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
In a two party, two color system I can how it's easy to hear "conservative" and that's that. The reality is New Hampshire (And most of ME) is "live free or die". More libertarian than anything.

I think it's more literally "content of character" thing. You won't find people looking at you funny. Just the opposite IMHO. However you show up in a Lexus with 22" wheels, blacked out windows and step out looking like this with 50 cent or whatever booming...expect some resistance.

I would say the same thing if it was "white thugs". It's more cultural than color IMHO.

You'd be 4 hours from Montreal, 3ish to NYC, 1 hour to Boston, less than 1 hour to the White Mountains (Breathtaking), and on the seacoast etc.

IMHO you just find things in a city like Portsmouth that you have a hard time finding in a lot of smaller American cities. Places like European style cafe's, art galleries, unique shops etc etc. It has a colonial/european feel to it.

You can pop down a side alley and find something like this:

Anyhow, I won't bore you with more minutia but would definitely take a peek. BTW, I don't live there but spend a lot of time in NH. I live in CT.

Eh, don't sweat it...I think most of us get what you are saying. It's a cultural thing and not a color thing per say. It's a shame that we've gotten to the point that you can't say "white" without all hell breaking loose. It's no different than someone saying "I want to live in an Asian community" or whatever.

lol Hey I did say there was about 3% of "others" living there.
I think the wording of the thread is misleading and it isn't a matter of all hell breaking loose more so that the US is still a mostly White country. So, that's what makes the title and thread odd. If he just wanted a place that is more accepting towards interracial couples, then just ask that. Even if it was worded as mostly white communities that are accepting, I doubt that anyone would have thought that the thread was odd or necessarily strange in any way.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:41 AM

8,155 posts, read 18,634,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think the wording of the thread is misleading and it isn't a matter of all hell breaking loose more so that the US is still a mostly White country. So, that's what makes the title and thread odd. If he just wanted a place that is more accepting towards interracial couples, then just ask that. Even if it was worded as mostly white communities that are accepting, I doubt that anyone would have thought that the thread was odd or necessarily strange in any way.
I disagree. First off, if you paid attention, it's a "she". Secondly, she listed her desires in the first thread:
i am looking for cities that have (all) 4 things

1-hardly any black people (85+% white? just guessing)

2-upper middle class living and/or values are the majority (i.e. philly is working class)

3-is tolerant of, doesnt think anything of, or embraces interracial couples

4-a city where people act as if they get their needs met, or tend to repor a high quality of life. (i.e. rochester ny or philly are perfect examples of he opposite. people are threatened by the idea of someone other than them succeeding in ANYTHING)
Most urban centers are not >85% white. They are just not unless you are talking about someplace like Norman OK. Which is why upper New England states came to mind for me.

Serpent, since I'm posting again, I can't resist...If you do visit you HAVE to hit up Colby's for breakfast. Just a little hole in the wall cafe', a little "crunchy" but warm and cozy with the BEST breakfast you will ever eat.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:01 AM

It still doesn't make sense to title thread as the capital of White America though. There are plenty places that may be considered to be such, but may not fit the other criteria. Even the other criteria is full of generalizations too.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:01 AM

3,093 posts, read 4,140,234 times
Portland, Seattle, or San Francisco.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Portland, Seattle, or San Francisco.
Except for Portland(and that may be less than 85% White), the other 2 do not fit either. They all may fit in principle, but doesn't fit all of the criteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or