U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 10:26 AM

340 posts, read 649,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
DC? ...yea lots of native white folks in Southeast and northeast in the hoods listening to go go eating carry out
i think he means since DC is the capitol of america and america is dominated by white culture..that would make DC the capitol of white america..i guess
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 10:52 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,058,698 times
The problem with the premise of this thread is that thestuffwhitepeoplelike version of white people are in the minority. Those people tend to be urbanites in large cities or live in hippie enclaves. Most whites are moderately conservative, conventional suburbanites. Places like Portland or Burlington are outliers within white America. I think the capital would be a large suburb of a mid American city. Arlington Heights, Ill, Lee's Summit, MO or someplace like that.

Edit: Des Moines is another possibility. It has a large white population and in general has the sort of medium, average, vanilla, mind-your-own-business vibe of bourgeoise white culture. It isn't hipster and it isn't redneck.

Last edited by Drewcifer; 04-06-2012 at 11:08 AM..

Old 04-06-2012, 11:07 AM

9,967 posts, read 14,630,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
I think probably Minneapolis, Denver, and Seattle are the major metros in the country with the highest percentage of White Americans. Most of the metros throughout the mid west, mountain west and north west still have white percentage above 70%.
When looking at metros, Pittsburgh is the whitest in the country(core city is about the same level as Seattle) with a population over 88% white. Boston's metro has the same percentage of whites(78%) as Portland and Salt Lake City.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:13 AM

334 posts, read 866,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
In all fairness though, that's the city...not the metro. The metro is very white and not very black at all.
I grew up in suburban city malden that is just as diverse as boston. And not to mention cambridge, somerville, chelsea, lynn, framingham, quincy, everett, revere, lawrence, lowell, brockton, medford and waltham? There are plenty of rich white suburbs, but there are also enough diverse ones too.

^ and i think the important value in the chart above is the core city value in terms of a capitol.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:23 AM

6,628 posts, read 12,517,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonmania View Post
I grew up in suburban city malden that is just as diverse as boston. And not to mention cambridge, somerville, chelsea, lynn, framingham, quincy, everett, revere, lawrence, lowell, brockton, medford and waltham? There are plenty of rich white suburbs, but there are also enough diverse ones too.

^ and i think the important value in the chart above is the core city value in terms of a capitol.
True...the inner burbs are extremely diverse too. However those are part of what most would consider the urban core. Once you get outside the urban core, the demographics become very uniform...I grew up in Scituate, which is a town of about 18,000. I think the official African American population of the town is 5. The surrounding areas like Norwell, Hingham, Cohasset, Duxbury, Marshfield, Hull, etc. aren't any different either haha.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:46 AM

9,397 posts, read 9,557,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
True...the inner burbs are extremely diverse too. However those are part of what most would consider the urban core. Once you get outside the urban core, the demographics become very uniform...I grew up in Scituate, which is a town of about 18,000. I think the official African American population of the town is 5. The surrounding areas like Norwell, Hingham, Cohasset, Duxbury, Marshfield, Hull, etc. aren't any different either haha.
I think Hull is a bit more Diverse than those other Towns, but even then I think the white Population of Metro Boston is <80%

Old 04-06-2012, 04:05 PM

14,111 posts, read 22,776,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
The problem with the premise of this thread is that thestuffwhitepeoplelike version of white people are in the minority. Those people tend to be urbanites in large cities or live in hippie enclaves. Most whites are moderately conservative, conventional suburbanites. Places like Portland or Burlington are outliers within white America. I think the capital would be a large suburb of a mid American city. Arlington Heights, Ill, Lee's Summit, MO or someplace like that.

Edit: Des Moines is another possibility. It has a large white population and in general has the sort of medium, average, vanilla, mind-your-own-business vibe of bourgeoise white culture. It isn't hipster and it isn't redneck.
Why has this post been ignored? Probably one of the best most accurate post in here. I'm not White, but I figure the extremely wealthy, nor the Liberal, granola-eating urbanites, nor the Rednecks represent White-America exclusively and are just like you said, the outliers. Some middle-class suburban city would be the best representation I'd imagine.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:08 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,517,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I think Hull is a bit more Diverse than those other Towns, but even then I think the white Population of Metro Boston is <80%
I don't think Hull is considerably more diverse...but it's definitely more of a working class town than the others.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:57 PM

195 posts, read 560,234 times
Yeah, I'm gonna stick with Salt Lake City.

It just makes sense.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:49 PM

20,861 posts, read 35,987,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Why has this post been ignored? Probably one of the best most accurate post in here. I'm not White, but I figure the extremely wealthy, nor the Liberal, granola-eating urbanites, nor the Rednecks represent White-America exclusively and are just like you said, the outliers. Some middle-class suburban city would be the best representation I'd imagine.
Those suburban cities would be more representative but they are mostly very bland, conformist, and coroporate. I guess I just fit in better wih the white granola group, although I certainly don't live in a very urban area of New England.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or