Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 10:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,272 times

Advertisements

This thread is old and I can only speak if SF vs. DC. I grew up in SF and now live in DC x 15 years. Find that San Franciscans are a bit obnoxious and self-righteous. World revolves around them, because the sunshine, environmentally-friendly, compost city. I've encountered ppl being pretty self-righteous and rude, esp. traffic -related situations. Compost is good, but I don't care for shelling out 10 cents for a bag for a nice purchase I've made. I understand the concept, but not at a high end store, cheapens the experience,

Don't care for the fog, take the four seasons over seasonal fog anytime, plus East Coast is where all the stuff happens, in finance and politics. I love my iphone, but love the East Coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 10:31 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,887,829 times
Coming back to the thread I can say that the Gulf Coast, especially Florida, is the most relaxed area in the US.

Old 08-26-2014, 02:52 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,486,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceInTheCrowd View Post
West coast is a bit more 'flakey' or 'relaxed' depending on your POV.
But, they both have more in common with each other than they do with Flyover Country.
Does anyone else want to call BS on this? 'Cause I keep being told that, but it is just isn't true from my observations, at least not for California overall. San Francisco, the city, might pull in a lot of East Coast types that relocate there for work or school, but otherwise we have a much stronger cultural connection to the southwest and other Western states (despite the politics). Not to mention that a lot of modern California culture has a Midwestern tint to it due to the large influx of mid-westerners to the California in the 1900's. I mean, Long Beach (CA) used to be called 'Iowa by the sea'. Our accent even more closely resembles a mid-western one than an East Coast one.

So how is it exactly that we are more like the East Coast besides the politics (which is blue)? There is more to a state/region than its political leanings though.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:04 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,962,707 times
How can California be laid back when you need to work 70 hours a week just to pay your rent?

Old 08-26-2014, 04:36 PM

98 posts, read 163,572 times
spent 2 days in charlotte once and hated it. got a really weird vibe there.

i agree with the op, seems like everyone i saw was young, business attire, focused on work, and not much else.

i cant put my finger on it but just did not like the city at all.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:46 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
We take our work very seriously here in the SoCal.
I'm in advertising so there are nights that I do not leave the office until 9pm (and later).

But most of the time it is 9-5 very casual attire (flip flops will do everyday, unless you are working on an install or photoshoot where you can get hurt).

You go out affter hours with your work colleagues or clients and the conversations are very casual and not work related.

Old 08-28-2014, 01:53 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,686,375 times
I found people on the west coast exude a certain "chill" factor....

I definitely noticed it while traveling out there for business on multiple occasions. I enjoy the cultural, subtle differences of the west coast.

Here in Miami....it's very competitive and people are not very "friendly"
It's kind of superficial and shallow and there's no chill factor. It's very busy and outta my way mentality.... almost a ghetto mentality in Miami...like "Im tough, im gangsta, get out of my way or i'll run u down".... less of that out west IMO.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:19 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,201,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Coming back to the thread I can say that the Gulf Coast, especially Florida, is the most relaxed area in the US.
After Hawaii

I agree though, down South is really nice in places like New Orleans, St. Augustine, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.