U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2012, 09:16 PM

3,970 posts, read 11,847,729 times

Advertisements

Just after age 18 moved to college, about 300 miles away from my family. (Seattle to Pullman, WA). Had the usual phone home crisis call about a month and a half in, with my dear Mother talking me down. She knew best. I stayed in college.

Dropped out of college but stayed on my own for another year working a regular job. Eventually moved back to Seattle, and moved back in briefly. But with a little taste of independence, that couldn't last long, and it didn't. Been on my own ever since. This was 30+ years ago.

I understand the economy has changed this in these times. But, while things are not good economically right now, they were not good during my time either. We are talking about the late 70's here. But somehow I managed to get by on my own, (for the most part). Sometimes parents need to push you in that direction, and mine definitely did.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 12:32 AM

34,712 posts, read 33,740,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A girl from Stockton,CA View Post
I'm in the middle of leaving home and moving out on my own, so I wanted to know if anyone had any interesting stories about moving out? How much did it cost? Where did you move to? What age did you leave? Was it easy or hard? What would be some things you would change? What did you learn about the process?
I was 18 and went to Washington DC to go to college and then I stayed for 3 years after I dropped out (went back to college in my 20s). I had a part time job while in school and they offered me a full time job after I dropped out. I lived with others between 18 and 21 because I wasn't old enough to sign a lease. I was lucky but if you are going to have roommates make sure you have something in writing about the rent and an understanding about who does what, space, visitors and utility bills.I returned to the DC area 23 years later.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:05 AM

2,317 posts, read 6,894,782 times
When I was 19 I moved from my hometown in Southern Oregon four hours north to Portland. I had kept a horrible dishwashing job that saved me enough money to move to Portland where I lived with a friend who was attending college up there. We split a soul-crushingly depressing 1-bedroom apartment downtown. It was dark, moldy, and had a wall 10 feet out from our windows that blocked any and all of the precious sunlight.

I did get a job pretty quick, surprisingly, but it was incredibly part-time and started at about $9/hour or one dollar above minimum at the time. Obviously I went went broke after not too long. I did try to find a second job, but it was all so stressful and not many people were hiring (thank you Great Recession). Didn't help that I was young and inexperienced either. So before I went totally broke I moved back home after just 6 months on my own. I got a better job and could afford to move back up after a little while and transferred with that company. That time it was for good.

The first time was hard. I got really homesick after about 4 months. I learned a lot about living on my own though--not wasting a scrap of food or a single penny. Rent and utilities were about $350 per month and food was maybe $100 per month. I also had a phone bill of maybe $50-60 that just had 300 minutes and 1000 texts. I left my car at home and cancelled the insurance and pretty much stayed downtown so I could walk or streetcar everywhere. I didn't work the 20 hours required to qualify for food stamps in Oregon or else I would have done that to make ends meet.

The second time I moved to Portland it was easy. I had my job ready to go, a place to stay with some family, and then found an affordable shared 9-bedroom, 9 person house near my work. I got on food stamps as needed until I had worked my way up the pay scale and earned myself a healthy number of hours and started college.

After getting promoted to a supervisor, taking a break from school, transferring to a different store to work full-time to save money, and moving to a suburb, I recently moved from the Portland area up to Seattle to take a better job and finish school. This move, while difficult, was still a lot easier than moving out the first time thanks to my experience moving between distant cities before.

The advice about the written rental agreement is a good idea. And make sure you have enough money to pay deposit, first and last, and a couple months of rent, food, utilities, insurance, gas, phone, internet, etc., and ALWAYS have a backup plan in case a job doesn't work out or your car breaks down or the house you're supposed to move in gets flooded (that happened to me).

Old 04-05-2012, 01:09 AM

9,783 posts, read 13,379,062 times
18 years old, moved from Boston to Los Angeles on my own dime.

After the cost of gas, deposit and first month's on an apartment, driver's license, car registration, etc etc etc, I think it cost me around $3k to move here. It can be done for much less and certainly has, but I wanted to make sure I actually had a place to live and all that noise.

It was stressful but totally worth it. I've never regretted it; in fact, it's still one of my most cherished experiences.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:16 AM

23,127 posts, read 35,114,563 times
On my 18th birthday, I packed my car and left Atlanta to attend Rollins College in Winter Park, FL. I think I cried the entire way. I got over it soon enough, though.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:20 PM

3,970 posts, read 11,847,729 times
Wow, notice how many of these posts begin with "when I was 18, (or 19)". This seems to be the year of the exodus for many.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:34 PM

606 posts, read 825,812 times
I moved 'from home' at 18 into the nearby big town (San Antonio).
Moved to Rochester, NY when I was 20 though, after I met a bunch of travelling punks and musicians.
Lived in a storage facility and had the time of my life. Ah, to be young and responsibility free...

Old 04-06-2012, 09:45 AM

606 posts, read 954,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A girl from Stockton,CA View Post
I'm in the middle of leaving home and moving out on my own, so I wanted to know if anyone had any interesting stories about moving out? How much did it cost? Where did you move to? What age did you leave? Was it easy or hard? What would be some things you would change? What did you learn about the process?
Moved from a little outside Boston, Massachusetts to the heart of Los Angeles, California at 20. Expensive while you do not have a job, manageable when you get one. I'm in the process of changing, only three months in

Old 04-06-2012, 10:45 AM

3,625 posts, read 7,180,232 times
18 is when I moved out

Old 04-06-2012, 11:25 AM

3,723 posts, read 3,888,035 times
I don't think going to college really counts as moving away from home. Between Summer break, Winter break and Thanksgiving, I only spent about 7 and half months on campus a year. I grew up 50 minutes southwest of Boston and went to college in Connecticut a 2 hour drive away.

I really moved out, for good, when I was 23 and moved out to the West Coast (San Diego) for 3 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or