U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2012, 06:17 AM

56,750 posts, read 81,082,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrikeArghast View Post
Definitely northern CA -- the Shasta area, in particular, is just stunning.

NY, on the other hand, is NY -- high taxes, Yankees fans, bad roads... bleh.
California isn't cheap and aren't tax rares high there? Upstate NY's overall cost of living in most metros is on par with Southern metros. Given its location in proximity to great urban and outdoor offerings, I wouldn't discount it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 06:46 PM

239 posts, read 434,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
California isn't cheap and aren't tax rares high there? Upstate NY's overall cost of living in most metros is on par with Southern metros. Given its location in proximity to great urban and outdoor offerings, I wouldn't discount it.
California taxes aren't low, but they're property taxes are actually lower on average than NYS. My friends who moved said that parts of SoCal have lower property taxes than WNY. Other than property taxes, Upstate NY obviously has a much lower COL than California.

This article is 3 years old, but much hasn't changed:
New York Taxes Are the Highest in the Country - WSJ.com

Old 05-04-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCNNY View Post
California taxes aren't low, but they're property taxes are actually lower on average than NYS. My friends who moved said that parts of SoCal have lower property taxes than WNY. Other than property taxes, Upstate NY obviously has a much lower COL than California.

This article is 3 years old, but much hasn't changed:
New York Taxes Are the Highest in the Country - WSJ.com
Is that for taxes or tax rates? They aren't necessarily one and the same. For instance, there are areas of Texas that pay as much in taxes on average as many Upstate NY areas, but rates are usually lower there due to higher home prices there. It's odd but home prices in Upstate NY kind of hurt and help in terms of tax rates and the ability to afford a home. I believe that out of the top 100 metros in population, the major Upstate NY were in the top 10(or close to it) for lowest foreclosure rates in recent years. America's Best Bang-For-The-Buck Cities - Forbes.com

Old 05-04-2012, 08:47 PM

239 posts, read 434,978 times
"In Cattaraugus County near the Pennsylvania border, the median home value is $77,800, compared to a national average of $63,000 while residents spend 3.8% of their income on home taxes. In Manhattan, the average residence value is $849,000. In Westchester county, outside New York, residents spend an astonishing 8.2% of their income on residence taxes."

Read more: The Ten States With The Worst Property Taxes - 24/7 Wall St. The Ten States With The Worst Property Taxes - 24/7 Wall St.

I can't speak directly about Upstate NY property taxes, but from what I hear from my friends who have houses here is that the property taxes are high. It seems people don't think low COL and high taxes go hand on hand. They rather just move to the sunbelt where they can get both low COL and low property taxes.

Long Island is another story, just go the CD board there and you'll here constant loathing about the property taxes. While I think what they can be dramatic, I don't blame some of their reasoning. There are areas of LI where people pay close to $20K in property taxes, it's almost like having a second mortgage.

I do know that Saratoga apparently has the lowest property taxes in the state.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCNNY View Post
"In Cattaraugus County near the Pennsylvania border, the median home value is $77,800, compared to a national average of $63,000 while residents spend 3.8% of their income on home taxes. In Manhattan, the average residence value is $849,000. In Westchester county, outside New York, residents spend an astonishing 8.2% of their income on residence taxes."

Read more: The Ten States With The Worst Property Taxes - 24/7 Wall St. The Ten States With The Worst Property Taxes - 24/7 Wall St.

I can't speak directly about Upstate NY property taxes, but from what I hear from my friends who have houses here is that the property taxes are high. It seems people don't think low COL and high taxes go hand on hand. They rather just move to the sunbelt where they can get both low COL and low property taxes.

Long Island is another story, just go the CD board there and you'll here constant loathing about the property taxes. While I think what they can be dramatic, I don't blame some of their reasoning. There are areas of LI where people pay close to $20K in property taxes, it's almost like having a second mortgage.

I do know that Saratoga apparently has the lowest property taxes in the state.
Downstate NY skews things for the state, in that regard.

Also, there are taxes on things like vehicles in some Southern states, for example. So, government is getting their money one way or another all over the country.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:03 PM

45 posts, read 71,245 times
Low cost of living?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
Although upstate NY is alright (especially the Adirondacks) Northern California is at a whole different level

The Pacific Coast vs. Lake ontario coast..... really??

San Francisco vs. all upstate cities combined.... really??

Finger lakes vs. Lake Tahoe..... kinda close here

Adirondacks vs. Sierra Nevada, Yosemite, Kings Canyon.... etc.... really??

Where Upstate wins easily is extremely low cost of living and quaint little villages like Seneca Falls, Fredonia, New Paltz, Lake Placid, Saranac Lake etc.

Overall though, not really a contest....

Much better comparison would be, say, Western North Carolina vs. Upstate NY or Western Massachusetts vs. Upstate NY

Old 05-05-2012, 07:20 PM

5,712 posts, read 8,778,005 times
As a tourist, I've been to Nor Cal half a dozen times. It's time to give the upstate a try.

Are motels/lodges booked up in advance in August? What's a typical price on a low end tourist court/motel/lodge? Is it a lot less crowded right after labor day?

Old 05-06-2012, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
As a tourist, I've been to Nor Cal half a dozen times. It's time to give the upstate a try.

Are motels/lodges booked up in advance in August? What's a typical price on a low end tourist court/motel/lodge? Is it a lot less crowded right after labor day?
It will depend on where you want to go. I'd say that most places are less crowded after Labor Day due to school starting.

Old 05-06-2012, 03:41 AM

9,783 posts, read 13,374,634 times
I'm more of a fan of the topography of Norcal than Upstate NY, though I've spent about equal time in both - if you want to get literal in terms of the more Northern areas of CA, i.e. Eureka rather than, say, SF - I've spent much more time in Upstate NY. Both regions are beautiful, but I err on the high desert and redwoods

Nothing against Upstate NY though, and I could totally see why people would choose to live there.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:38 AM

23 posts, read 58,055 times
Don't forget that upstate New York is very large and has great variety both in topography and taxes. There are houses in what I call upstate New York (Rockland, Orange, Putnam, Dutchess county) that pay incredible property and school taxes. I inherited part of a house (not a large house - just your typical ugly suburban ranch house) in upper Rockland that costs 12k a year in taxes with a tiny little yard. In the Adirondacks from what I see you could pay a couple thousand a year for something a lot nicer with more acreage. New York is really at least a couple of different states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or