Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2012, 11:15 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,744,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
Which American accent do you have?

My Results:

I live about 30 miles north of the boundary in SE Missouri. And I was born after 1989.

Maybe the same thing is true for the "Warsh" thing. Are there any speech characteristics in French, German or Irish that would make someone want to put an R in there? The Warsh thing seems to be pretty specific to a hundred mile radius or so of St. Louis, maybe more. I hear in in Cape County sometimes and the only person off of the top of my head that I can remember saying it was of German heritage.
I dont think it's specific to that area at all. My relatives from Oklahoma say it. Really country people here in TN say it. My friend from Maryland tells me that country people up there say it too. It's also part of the Pittsburghese dialect.

I think it's more of a rural thing than anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 11:29 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,991,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I dont think it's specific to that area at all. My relatives from Oklahoma say it. Really country people here in TN say it. My friend from Maryland tells me that country people up there say it too. It's also part of the Pittsburghese dialect.

I think it's more of a rural thing than anything.
Interesting thing is, I have relatives in STL are that are from there, never moved, the family has been in STL for 150 years, and they say "warsh".
Nothing rural about that branch of the family, bu they ARE of German descent.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:21 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,186,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
I think they are based on a 1987 study. Maybe some areas have changed since then.
I guess so. Like for example, the map says that Providence speaks the same accent as NYC. That's not true at all

Old 04-16-2012, 07:34 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,463,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
I guess so. Like for example, the map says that Providence speaks the same accent as NYC. That's not true at all
They don't; but someone with a NYC accent and a Providence accent would give the same response to all the quiz questions; they're in the same northeastern group (as am I).

Old 04-16-2012, 07:46 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,463,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
I've no idea why I came out as a Northeastern accent to be honest - as far as R's are concerned I'd definitely pronounce them in words like 'bar'/'car' etc. Mary/merry/marry I'd pronounce all differently (most British accents would) but I would rhyme 'bad' and 'had' with a short 'a' (how would you pronounce them if not with the same 'a'?).
Huh. I thought most British people drop their "r's". A New Yorker with a full on accent would drop the r's in "fourth floor". Or in "water" becomes "wardah"; an r get subtracted, an get removed. Would a British speaker keep or drop their r's there? I remember in college, some people were surprised (and annoyed) that it was full of Long Islanders. A couple people were puzzled I was missing the accent and asked me to say "drawers" as a test. I passed, dropping the second r.

Accent exist among people born after 89 (but not all), but it's nowhere as strong as their parent's.

Can't explain how "had" and "bad" have a different a; similar, but in one my tongue is raised up more; had has a flat "ah" sound", bad is more nasal (not sure if that's the right word).

Old 07-06-2012, 02:26 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,179,860 times
Northern Cities Vowel Shift and Californian actually sound STRONGER in people under 30.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:31 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,957,224 times
I was born in 86' and it's funny how people don't believe I was born and raised in SC because I have no accent. Now, I can easily turn it on and off

Old 07-06-2012, 09:51 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,827,845 times
Born in 1993 and have a weird mixed accent. Cross between New England accent and NY accent. Makes no sense to me but oh well.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:29 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,186,771 times
Yes

Old 07-06-2012, 05:55 PM

451 posts, read 695,041 times
Why are people so surprised by NYers that dont have accents?

Its extremely possible these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.