U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-22-2012, 06:49 AM
 
Location: SW Pennsylvania
821 posts, read 1,254,936 times
Reputation: 757

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by -.- View Post
I was born in 1990 and got neutral

Which American accent do you have?

My Results:


Neutral You`re not Northern, Southern, or Western, you`re just plain -American-. Your national identity is more important than your local identity, because you don`t really have a local identity. You might be from the region in that map, which is defined by this kind of accent, but you could easily not be. Or maybe you just moved around a lot growing up.
Me too...I grew up in north-central West Virginia and southwestern Pennsylvania. I spent a couple of years in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-22-2012, 09:28 AM
 
Location: One of the 13 original colonies.
10,162 posts, read 6,495,020 times
Reputation: 8024
Quote:
Originally Posted by tothesky View Post
Take this test and tell me what result you get.

Quiz - Which American accent do you have? - YouThink.com


I took this test and this is the result.

Neutral
You`re not Northern, Southern, or Western, you`re just plain -American-. Your national identity is more important than your local identity, because you don`t really have a local identity. You might be from the region in that map, which is defined by this kind of accent, but you could easily not be. Or maybe you just moved around a lot growing up.

I am from the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2012, 04:17 PM
 
Location: Shaw.
2,226 posts, read 3,145,195 times
Reputation: 809
One thing about those quizes, is that your perception of how you speak is affected by seeing the words for people without strong accents (but where the accent exists). However, if someone asked you, "What's a synonym for 'Dad' that begins with an 'F,'" and recorded your answer and then continued to ask questions in this manner, you may end up with different results. One example, was that a few years ago, I would have thought that I pronounced "can" (as in tin can) and "can" (as in able) the same. However, it was eventually pointed out to me (using the question-asking method) that in normal speech (i.e. without thinking about it), I actually pronounce them differently. (Further thinking about it reminded me that I used to sing a commercial for Shop-Rite as "ken you do the cann cann?").

Anyway, to answer the question, of course there are regional dialects in kids born after 1989. It may not be as strong or easily identifiable, but it still exists. More to the point, the Northern Vowel Shift is changing the way the north speaks (and as a result, changing the way Americans speak). See this article here: Northern Cities Vowel Shift: How Americans in the Great Lakes region are revolutionizing English. - Slate Magazine

On a tangent, I recently learned that one of the traits of the Philadelphia accent (and I think Baltimore too), a particular pronunciation of vowels like o, is also known as the Southern Vowel Shift and that Philadelphia is the farthest north this goes. I don't think I'd ever have noticed it, except that I met a guy from Alabama who I'm sure thought he had no regional accent (he pronounced all his Rs, didn't have a twang, etc.). But when he pronounced "phone" and "home," I thought he was either from Philadelphia or somehow picked up a exaggerated Philadelphia accent (his version sounded too extreme).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2012, 04:57 PM
 
Location: PG County, MD
582 posts, read 777,076 times
Reputation: 353
Tried that quiz:
Southern
People used to hate Southern accents but now everyone wants one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2012, 06:47 PM
 
Location: Atlanta & NYC
6,620 posts, read 11,676,074 times
Reputation: 6603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
Tried that quiz:
Southern
People used to hate Southern accents but now everyone wants one.
Except me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2012, 07:46 PM
 
Location: PG County, MD
582 posts, read 777,076 times
Reputation: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Except me.
I don't think the "everyone wants one" thing is really true. Maybe among younger folks but in my experience it's still looked down upon outside of the south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2012, 08:20 PM
 
Location: Atlanta & NYC
6,620 posts, read 11,676,074 times
Reputation: 6603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
I don't think the "everyone wants one" thing is really true. Maybe among younger folks but in my experience it's still looked down upon outside of the south.
Yeah it is. It sounds incredibly uneducated. Some people who have really thick Southern accents are undecipherable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2012, 08:33 PM
 
1,953 posts, read 3,265,278 times
Reputation: 1087
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
On a tangent, I recently learned that one of the traits of the Philadelphia accent (and I think Baltimore too), a particular pronunciation of vowels like o, is also known as the Southern Vowel Shift and that Philadelphia is the farthest north this goes. I don't think I'd ever have noticed it, except that I met a guy from Alabama who I'm sure thought he had no regional accent (he pronounced all his Rs, didn't have a twang, etc.). But when he pronounced "phone" and "home," I thought he was either from Philadelphia or somehow picked up a exaggerated Philadelphia accent (his version sounded too extreme).
As in "pheune, "heume?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2012, 08:34 PM
 
Location: Somewhere below Mason/Dixon
6,522 posts, read 7,468,006 times
Reputation: 10927
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Yeah it is. It sounds incredibly uneducated. Some people who have really thick Southern accents are undecipherable.

You dont like southern accents, that is fine. I dont think its fair when people say it sounds uneducated, that unfortuneatly is an accepted stereotype of the south. Personally I dont like northeast accents, that Jersey-New York accent drives me nuts. I dont think people there are any more educated than those of the south. I highly doubt those Jersey shore characters with the thick accents we all have seen on tv are educated either. Oh Im not from the south either, im from the upper midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2012, 09:18 PM
 
Location: Atlanta & NYC
6,620 posts, read 11,676,074 times
Reputation: 6603
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
You dont like southern accents, that is fine. I dont think its fair when people say it sounds uneducated, that unfortuneatly is an accepted stereotype of the south. Personally I dont like northeast accents, that Jersey-New York accent drives me nuts. I dont think people there are any more educated than those of the south. I highly doubt those Jersey shore characters with the thick accents we all have seen on tv are educated either. Oh Im not from the south either, im from the upper midwest.
Lol if Jersey Shore is all you know about the northeast, then your opinion is invalid.

No offense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top