Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 09:50 PM

35,062 posts, read 31,284,584 times

Advertisements

I moved to Iowa from Tennessee last month and everyone comments on my heavy Southern accent, which I know I have, but this silly test puts me at neutral. I was born in 86. A local girl I'm dating has a strong regional accent and she was born in 91. Stupid question IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 09:59 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,685,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I moved to Iowa from Tennessee last month and everyone comments on my heavy Southern accent, which I know I have, but this silly test puts me at neutral. I was born in 86. A local girl I'm dating has a strong regional accent and she was born in 91. Stupid question IMO.
Make sure you say the words in a sentence. Sometimes when you say the words by themselves you actually say them differently than you do in conversation.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:42 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

a) What the hell is "the Californian way"?

2) According to my meticulous calculations, the cutoff for developing regional accents was June 3, 1988, at 3:10 p.m. EDT.

What a ridiculous question.

I think it has something to do with avocados.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:00 AM

3,969 posts, read 13,663,701 times
Accents are attained by time. If you live in an area with accents, it will probably take about a year for you to start developing the same accent. This is natural, and not something one can really control.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:34 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,971,139 times
Born and raised in the south (1985) and ended up getting "Neutral" with the midland map in the background. Hm..

Old 04-06-2012, 12:45 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,754,124 times
This map seems more accurate. From wikipedia. Almost everywhere not in this map has at least a noticeable and fairly prevalent regional accent. Many people in KC and STL have a touch of a southern accent, and some have a complete southern accent. Minneapolis has its own accent (stronger as you go further north), and so does Chicago (stronger in the city than suburbs). The map doesn't quite extend up to Sioux Falls but it could also be included.

I've always found California to have a neutral English accent among native White English speakers as well.

File:General American.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-06-2012, 01:57 AM

635 posts, read 1,509,662 times
My sister has one of the deepest southern accents ever and she was born in 1991: ohhh blesss yowerr heart type of deep, and I have no accent at all. When asked where I was from in the navy and everyone was always dumbstruck when I'd say Atlanta they'd always say but you don't have an accent. I have no idea why she has such a deep accent.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:00 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa1984 View Post
No to the California way since General American english comes from Midland which is originally from the Delaware Valley.
Is this true? I doubt many would think of the Delaware Valley accent when thinking of General American English. Philly newscasters are usually instructed to ditch their accent. I usually think of places in the Midwest when I think of a general american accent. I believe Iowa may have the most "general american english" speakers for some reason.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:14 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,685,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
This map seems more accurate. From wikipedia. Almost everywhere not in this map has at least a noticeable and fairly prevalent regional accent. Many people in KC and STL have a touch of a southern accent, and some have a complete southern accent. Minneapolis has its own accent (stronger as you go further north), and so does Chicago (stronger in the city than suburbs). The map doesn't quite extend up to Sioux Falls but it could also be included.

I've always found California to have a neutral English accent among native White English speakers as well.

File:General American.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The only people in KC and STL who have southern accents are transplants, just like any other city in the nation. Both cities are Midwestern and not Southern.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:25 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,558,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Is this true?
That is where midland originally came from.

Quote:
I doubt many would think of the Delaware Valley accent when thinking of General American English. Philly newscasters are usually instructed to ditch their accent. I usually think of places in the Midwest when I think of a general american accent.
Which Pittsburgh was the gateway to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.