Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 11:31 AM

1,506 posts, read 4,278,870 times

Advertisements

October 12th is Day of the Race. How do you plan to celebrate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 12:47 PM

332 posts, read 1,625,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
October 12th is Day of the Race. How do you plan to celebrate?
I thought The Race was the first Saturday in May. . .
The Kentuckians will understand . . .

I know . . . you mean "La Raza," but I had to think about that for a minute . . .

Old 09-14-2007, 01:34 PM

24 posts, read 159,461 times
I believe here in the US it is known as Columbus Day

Old 09-14-2007, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shecali View Post
I believe here in the US it is known as Columbus Day
Oh I didn't realize that it was the same day since Columbus day is observed on the second Monday in October. I must have one of the new PC calenders because it list "Day of the Race", but not Columbus day. I know which holiday I will celebrate.

Old 09-14-2007, 05:01 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times
Ok I am ignorant... what is the Day of the Race?

Old 09-14-2007, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Ok I am ignorant... what is the Day of the Race?
That is what I was wondering when I saw that Day of the Race was coming up. As far as I can tell it is an alternative holiday for people who don't believe that Columbus Day is worthy of celebration. I have no idea how it is celebrated. And just so everyone is clear, my calendar says in English "Day of the Race" not "Dia de la Raza", which is translated as "day of the people".

Old 09-15-2007, 12:51 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,206,624 times
Militant Mexican Nationals. Still trying to get California back, as if America will give up it's crown jewel! Keep marching with those Mexican flags. Your President stated, "Wherever Mexican people are, that is Mexico?" Am I correct with that? Just what I heard. If it's correct, siesta time- and dream!

Old 09-15-2007, 05:42 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times
I have never heard of that before now! Is it a California/ Texas thing?

Old 10-12-2007, 12:46 PM

1 posts, read 5,010 times
It's like Mexican Columbus Day...Most people believe that America was discovered long before Columbus arrived, but he was the first one to really establish contact between our continent and Europe. When he found out that the new land was not India, he claimed it in the name of the Spanish monarchy

Thirty years later, Mexico was conquered by Hernán Cortés and became a colony of Spain for the next 300 years. The Spanish conquistadors brought missionaries with them, some of whom were very impressed by the local cultures. Although Spain imposed its government and religion, the people intermarried and many native traditions have survived. Our nation today is a mixture of the Spanish and the indigenous. We call that new race and that new culture --which came into existence partly because Christopher Columbus landed in America 507 years ago-- mestizo, and that is what we celebrate on October 12th, Día de la Raza.

Last edited by japatrick; 10-12-2007 at 12:47 PM.. Reason: remove symbols

Old 10-12-2007, 06:31 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,365,289 times
Mexicans are a weird bunch. Your entire history is a contradiction of itself.

You claim to be a new race, which I guess you could say many of you are, mestizo. While at the same time you will claim to be the "true" inhabitants of the Americas. How can a half-breed be a true inhabitant? Either you are part European or you aren't. Then the most absurd aspect of this whole situation is that most Hispanic people, after claiming that they are the only people who belong in the Americas will look down upon the full-blooded indians (los indios) and treat them with a good deal of disrespect and racism.

All the while that this is going on the white people in Latin America who generally make up 5-10% of most Latin American countries, run them like their own personal fiefdoms. They control the economies, the governments, and the media.

Personally I think that the white people in Latin America purposefully gin up nationalism and anti-Americanism down there so that the local population won't question who is really in control and why so many people live in a state of poverty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.