Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 07:22 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,606,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
I think it is/was Virginia. After all, Virginia is the "Mother of Presidents" with a whopping eight presidents hailing from the Old Dominion including George Washington and Thomas Jefferson (as well as Madison, Monroe, Harrison, Tyler, Taylor and Wilson). Plus Jamestown, Richmond as the Capitol of the Confederacy during the Civil War, Robert E. Lee, and Virginia ham. I'd say that Washington, Jefferson and Lee alone embody a lot of old Southern culture.

That being said, in the early days of America Charleston was one of the most important cities in the country, and definitely the most important in the South (later overtaken by New Orleans). Charleston was a very important trade hub. South Carolina was the first state to secede and started hostilities. The low country has had a good bit of influence on southern cuisine (shrimp and grits anyone?)

So overall I definitely think it has been Virginia, although in modern times Virginia has lost a lot of its "southernness" and I think most people would agree that today SC feels more "southern" (whatever that means) than VA.

This was a pretty good summation. I would quibble/qualify, however, in that both states have their place in the original settlement and formation of the definition of "the South" when such a concept first became cemented in national identity.

That is, it was Virginia (Jamestown at first) -- and even Maryland to some extent -- that was the primary "entry point" of the colonists/settlers/pioneers which mostly formed and migrated across the state of the Upper South (Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas...even very southern parts of Missouri).

On the other hand, it was South Carolina which was the port for those who shaped the Lower South (the Gulf states).

On a related tangent, North Carolina and Texas are the eptiome (at least in my worthless opinion!), as to the blend of both. The former, due to its proximity to both original states, got some of both. Texas was easily "Lower South" in its early statehood days. After the War, however, and west Texas became a new frontier for Southerners to get a new start in the "west", those from the Upper South became at least equal in number. This is reflected today in that the accent/speech of most west Texans is very akin to that heard in eastern Tennessee/Kentucky/north Alabama...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 08:05 AM

14 posts, read 22,857 times
im from lexington virginia it seem's southern too me and other placeis in virginia VIRGINIA

Old 07-19-2012, 03:01 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,958,476 times
Virginia...

Old 07-19-2012, 05:14 PM

630 posts, read 1,265,105 times
I'd say Georgia based on the fact that it contributes to lots of different regions of the south

Coastal South- Savannah was one of the original southern cities and is right up there with Charleston. It has a distinct colonial culture that's dripping with antiquity and rich history. It makes up a large part of this very important region of the south.

Deep South- the coastal plain across the southern third of the state is representative of the entire black belt that brought us the plantation system, king cotton, and unfortunately the most strident areas of jim crow. Not a proud history but one that needs to be remembered, and this part of the state is a big part of it.

Piedmont- Atlanta and its surrounding areas of influence are perhaps the hub of the new south, which I would describe as the Piedmont region also stretching through Upstate SC, Charlotte and the Research Triangle. Atlanta was the catalyst for the development of a region that is redefining the south as more urban and progressive.

North Georgia- the foothills give way to Blue Ridge mountains, making north Georgia the gateway to this unique Appalachian region that spreads northwards. Even today, its marked by thick dense forests, isolated residents and unfortunately, poverty. North Georgia was also a hot bed of anti secessionist sentiments during the civil war, which linked it more to the mountain south than the deep south. There are also counties up there, such as Fannin, which have only historically only voted Democrat once or twice, and that meant a lot during the days of the solid south. I believe Fannin even voted for Hoover in 1932, now that's unique!

Old 07-19-2012, 08:29 PM

581 posts, read 969,228 times
Virginia and Maryland were the first southern colonies and the origin of plantation culture in the thirteen colonies. Though as the deep and inland south emerged those two states became less what people consider southern, and are now considered Southern-Lite, Mid-Atlantic, Northern, or all three.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:54 PM

22 posts, read 17,560 times
In what ways do you mean foundation? do you mean present day, or historically like most pro confederate state in the civil war?

Modern, post civil war I have to say Mississippi. Hands down. That still has really maintained southern culture. Alabama second maybe, then south carolina.

Also the posters about Virginia, it is an upper south state and remember the secession convention at first voted against it.

Virginia in the American Civil War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Modern day virginia is not even close due to northern VA is really changing.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
This was a pretty good summation. I would quibble/qualify, however, in that both states have their place in the original settlement and formation of the definition of "the South" when such a concept first became cemented in national identity.

That is, it was Virginia (Jamestown at first) -- and even Maryland to some extent -- that was the primary "entry point" of the colonists/settlers/pioneers which mostly formed and migrated across the state of the Upper South (Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas...even very southern parts of Missouri).

On the other hand, it was South Carolina which was the port for those who shaped the Lower South (the Gulf states).

On a related tangent, North Carolina and Texas are the eptiome (at least in my worthless opinion!), as to the blend of both. The former, due to its proximity to both original states, got some of both. Texas was easily "Lower South" in its early statehood days. After the War, however, and west Texas became a new frontier for Southerners to get a new start in the "west", those from the Upper South became at least equal in number. This is reflected today in that the accent/speech of most west Texans is very akin to that heard in eastern Tennessee/Kentucky/north Alabama...
Error about Missouri. Yes southern MO largely was influenced by people from the appalachians, upper south(Ozarks), BUT you left out Little Dixie area of the state. It had the highest populations of slaves in MO. If your thinking modern times, yes Southern missouri is where the influence is in this state NOW, but in the mid 1800s Little Dixie area of MO was heavily influenced.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:52 PM

410 posts, read 342,177 times
I've NEVER thought of Virginia as a Southern State. Geographically, it's not a southern state, culturally it's not a southern state (by today's standards). I've been to Virginia, and in the metropolitan areas it's certainly not "Southern" by any means. Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia... THAT is the TRUE South.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libsk View Post
I've NEVER thought of Virginia as a Southern State. Geographically, it's not a southern state, culturally it's not a southern state (by today's standards). I've been to Virginia, and in the metropolitan areas it's certainly not "Southern" by any means. Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia... THAT is the TRUE South.
Disagree. Even by todays standards Virginia is a southern state. It's an upper south state. Now the northern parts of VA or NOT southern. They align with more of the northeast, Midatlantic.

Virginia is not a deep south state, and yes by todays standards it's not as southern as it was many years ago. The demographics have changed, and it's becoming a progressive state. TN and KY are more southern than virginia imo.

I still consider it a southern state though, but the whole state is not in Dixie.

Old 07-20-2012, 06:01 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,953,123 times
Virginia was, is, and will always be a southern state. People moving in does not change that fact. This type of argument is silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.