U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 06:17 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,483,001 times

Advertisements

I often hear how the US is very culturally diverse - how the South is a totally different country, etc. Having visited the US for about 2 months, I actually didn't notice much difference between regions except for landscape and (and this only applies to some people) accents. Same old shops.etc of course, but also the people just behaved pretty much the same, at mostly the same food. GRANTED I haven't lived there so my comments are somewhat uninformed and just from skirting over the surface, but I often feel a lot of Americans like to make a big deal about how culturally diverse the country is because that's all they know. Coming from another country, I just felt the US was even more generic than most nations, especially for it's size. Only Australia and Canada seem more homogeneous in terms of culture over so large an area (possibly Russia too). The UK is smaller than Pennsylvania yet has more of a variety of accents than the entire US. Just my two cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 06:29 PM

9,411 posts, read 9,572,984 times
I feel like you have to live or spend alot of time, but by visiting the US for 2 months most of what you know coming from Australia is tourist traps.
Like say you go to the UK, you go to Bg Ben, BUckingham Palace, Old town Ediensburgh, Manchester, ect. but they seem similar but I know they are Vastly different.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:53 PM

6,596 posts, read 8,129,779 times
I dont think the differences in regions are overstated....understand is more like it. The bi coastals fly over and bash the south, Tx and the mid west. However they eat and drive and chose to ignore how the raw material magically appears when they need it. America wants a wealthy lifestyle based upon tourism. nail salons and other low wealth creation activities. Jobs that creat great wealth involve risk....the bi coastals cant handle risk.... they view it is as low class manufacturing work. We need oil and gas jobs, we need farmers, we need work that involves risk... most coastals cant handle it.... but we can in the middle of the country. I believe an affordable, nice lifestyle follows..lets wait and see. Let them fly over. We chose not to follow policies that imitate California or NY or France.. we know the result of that approach. Some call being like those failed entites progress... or leaning forward....I call it something else...

Old 04-12-2012, 08:34 PM

11,334 posts, read 17,128,966 times
Very much so in my opinion, it's even worse here on City-Data. I'm not saying there aren't differences between the regions but they're way more alike than not.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:45 PM

21,962 posts, read 27,416,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Only Australia and Canada seem more homogeneous in terms of culture over so large an area (possibly Russia too). .
Do you really think that Canada is homogeneous, or that large parts of it are?

Old 04-12-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Do you really think that Canada is homogeneous, or that large parts of it are?
Come on, don't kid yourself. Aside from Quebec, Canada is homogeneous by WORLD STANDARDS.

Are you really gonna say Canada is as diverse as Western Europe, culturally speaking? It's not even as diverse as Spain or the UK, CULTURALLY speaking.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:16 PM

3,970 posts, read 11,849,488 times
Regional differences do exist in the U.S., but there are two major platforms that work against this theme.

One, is the media. Fox, CNN, MSNBC, and the big three networks ABC, NBC, CBS all tend to bring the country together. Yes, some may have a political lean, but these networks are seen everywhere in the U.S., and they tend to bring many of us together.

The second is the chain stores. McDonalds, Wal-Mart, Home Depot, and on-line, Amazon, Microsoft, all bring the country together in that they are common in almost every state.

The U.S. is one in the same due to the above, but there are still regional differences. I like those slight differences, but the key word is "slight".

Old 04-12-2012, 09:20 PM

56,807 posts, read 81,149,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Come on, don't kid yourself. Aside from Quebec, Canada is homogeneous by WORLD STANDARDS.

Are you really gonna say Canada is as diverse as Western Europe, culturally speaking? It's not even as diverse as Spain or the UK, CULTURALLY speaking.
Are you sure about that? If anything, Canada seems to be very regional in terms of provinces. Parts of Ontario and New Brunswick have strong French speaking ties. Nunavut is very unique and isn't anything like Nova Scotia. Even the Black population in Canada is diverse. There is a pretty strong First Nations influence in certain areas too. So, Canada is not as homogeneous as people think it is.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Are you sure about that? If anything, Canada seems to be very regional in terms of provinces. Parts of Ontario and New Brunswick have strong French speaking ties. Nunavut is very unique and isn't anything like Nova Scotia. Even the Black population in Canada is diverse. There is a pretty strong First Nations influence in certain areas too. So, Canada is not as homogeneous as people think it is.
Well I forgot about Nunavut...I suppose I'm thinking more modern people.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:00 PM

7,384 posts, read 13,257,317 times
Honestly I'm inclined to say that you either stayed in the tourist trap areas (didn't get to know the area) or just didn't pay attention. I mean... the way of life isn't the same in Miami as it is in Seattle-- these two are polar opposites in terms of culture, way things are done, people/social attitudes, et. c. There are differences. That's just one example. There's many other examples as well... and they are different for many reasons. NE tends to be brash, hustle'n'bustle... SE isn't-- much more laid back. But not laid-back like the West Coast which doesn't have the old culture that SE has (and the old history of SE/NE). These are generalities and are reflected in the cities and its people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or