U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 11:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,881 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody! So here's the deal.

I'm an African-American male in my mid-20s from the Bay Area. I am currently finishing up my degree at one of the major universities here and by the end of the summer I'll be hitting the road. Don't get me wrong either, the Bay Area is ideal and I may be coming back after a brief hiatus, but without going into details I will just say that I desperately need a breather as I've experienced way too much personal trauma out here and simply need to get away and find some solace for myself.

Most importantly, I am intent on finding someone to settle down with. I'm single, but I've never been the mingling/partying type. I'd love that but I've just always been reserved. I'm the type that needs someone to bring that out of me. I am also naturally shy but am prepared to put in the effort to meet new women. Thing is, because of my shyness and the insecurities that go along with it, and the fact that I'm still establishing myself professionally, I prefer women who are generally more low maintenance, open-minded, and down-to-earth. In addition, being friendly and approachable is another plus for obvious reasons. I'm not the type to stereotype/generalize women from different parts of the country (and am in no position to as I've rarely ever even left the bay Area), but for that very reason I was looking at something like a Houston or Atlanta.

Also factoring into my decision is the ease of getting a job so that I can actually support myself and date at the same time. I'll have a few to several thousand saved up so ease of getting a job and how long that amount of money will stretch is also a factor. Ease of finding an apt is another. Another factor would be social atmosphere and the ease with which one can go about meeting people in public places, at events, or through social channels. Basically, I'm wondering if I'm on the right track by looking south, especially as a younger African-American male?

Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post but figured some context was needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 12:11 AM

773 posts, read 1,055,095 times
Austin gals would be over a Bay Area boy like white on rice, to invoke a Southernism. (Even though we're not really South.)

With that said, I really would encourage you, as someone just starting a career, to go where you can grow, learn and excel. I wish that someone would have told me this when I was in my mid-20s, but no one bothered to stress the importance of honing career first and then settling down in the "perfect city" later.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:54 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,359,998 times
I hear the ladies in Riverrun like your type

Old 04-18-2012, 05:57 AM

31,974 posts, read 36,604,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernaut112 View Post
Austin gals would be over a Bay Area boy like white on rice, to invoke a Southernism. (Even though we're not really South.)
Any large city in TX would be a good choice. The economy is good, cost of living reasonable and the women are all beautiful. Dallas is very diverse also.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:10 AM

15,729 posts, read 18,084,211 times
The Raleigh-Durham area is a great area for a younger person. There are several large colleges and universities in this area which means a lot of girls in your age-range.

I would think the most important factor is whether you can gain employment in your new location. What kind of work are you looking for? This area is home to a lot of R&D type jobs (hence Research Triangle Park) as well as engineering and computer/technical careers. There are also a LOT of medical jobs in this area becaues of all the hospitals.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:39 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,556,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Any large city in TX would be a good choice. The economy is good, cost of living reasonable and the women are all beautiful. Dallas is very diverse also.
If you like big uns'.............

Old 04-18-2012, 07:31 AM

14,439 posts, read 17,358,517 times
Nothing wrong with wanting a change of scenery. I've lived all my life in California and am ready for one too. As a single person, I think if you stick with a big city then you'll be better off than if you went to a smaller one in terms of jobs, interesting things to do and dating. If really big cities bother you then look at the medium-sized ones. I think it's also important to try to get a feel for the general attitudes of the people who live in those cities. I've heard good things about a various bigger cities in Texas and the Carolinas.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:45 AM

43,169 posts, read 41,773,101 times
I know folks think of Atlanta first as a hotspot for young African Americans, but my Memphis friends who live there always comment on how status-driven it is - how much importance folks place on the right car, the right club, the right clothes, the job etc. It doesn't make me think of the laid-back girl you are looking for.

Houston might work, but I would also consider Raleigh or Charlotte, Jacksonville and Indianapolis.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:50 AM

56,518 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Washington DC may be a place to look. Even cities like NYC or Chicago could be possibilities. Philadelphia is another city to consider. I'd dare say to even consider Detroit too.

A sleeper may be Columbus OH. It has a pretty influential Black community and it is a city that is growing. Nashville is another sleeper.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:09 AM

24,757 posts, read 33,950,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Washington DC may be a place to look. Even cities like NYC or Chicago could be possibilities. Philadelphia is another city to consider. I'd dare say to even consider Detroit too.

A sleeper may be Columbus OH. It has a pretty influential Black community and it is a city that is growing. Nashville is another sleeper.
Columbus is definitely a sleeper. Large city with a small-town feel, lots of college students, and lots of beautiful women of all ethnicities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.