U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 04:29 PM

2 posts, read 5,180 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and interested in some input regarding my current city search. I'm a young "indie" multi-instrumentalist/songwriter and my soon-to-be-wife is an apprenticing, french-speaking baker/pastry cook. We're looking to relocate from Lakewood, OH (a near west suburb of Cleveland) to somewhere that has a more vibrant and youthful music scene as well as interesting and varied food/arts/culture.

My wife is originally from the Detroit metro area and I grew up in Lakewood, so we're largely familiar with (and appreciative of) the "old" feeling of the midwest industrial cities. We also enjoy being by the water and seem most comfortable with the midwest attitude and approach. Given that, we're not necessarily tied to large industrial centers, but would like a location that has a strong emphasis on music and art and is enthusiastic toward/supportive of those endeavors. Thus far, I've heard recommendations of everything ranging from Austin to Portland and even Montreal, QC, so I'm a bit overwhelmed when delving through the sheer number of options. What would you recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 04:35 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,056,373 times
I am a chef, and I used to play in indie rock bands when I had more time. Minneapolis would probably work for you, it has both a good music scene and a good dining scene, and in general is an easy place to live as long as you are used to winters.

You will probably find a lot of like minded people here. There are other cities that would work too.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:40 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,597,307 times
If Canada is an option, then Toronto would suit your needs very nicely.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:06 PM

3,698 posts, read 4,533,467 times
Chicago sounds just about perfect....

Beautiful lake Michigan, Midwest, THRIVING food scene, great music scene, big city, great public transit, affordable

Old 04-20-2012, 05:51 AM

860 posts, read 1,123,018 times
NYC, Philly, Chicago, LA

Old 04-20-2012, 01:23 PM

5,530 posts, read 10,141,979 times
Minneapolis/St. Paul fits just about every one of your aspects:

-Midwestern (close to family, similar ideals, liberal in the cities)
-not "Rust Belt" (never was, more white collar)
-arts scene is incredibly well-supported (believe it's one of the highest -- if not THE highest -- per capita expenses for the arts in the country)
-water (LOTS of lakes, but nothing like the ocean or the Great Lakes. Lakes Calhoun and Harriet are so gorgeous though I'd be shocked if they didn't fit the bill, plus Lake Minnetonka. The Mississippi River downtown too, but that's not exactly "scenic", per se)

Chicago sounds like a good fit too, as it's closer to your fams. than Minneapolis, but exhibits more of the typical Rust Belt industrial feel. Austin and Portland make sense in some ways, except location, obviously. Austiin has arguably the best live music scene in the country, and Portland is sort of utopia for Hipsters. Denver and Seattle could make your list as well if you like Austin or Portland. NYC, Boston and even Philly may fit the bill for the East Coast.

If you had 1 or 2 more amenities or even "deal-breakers" it may help narrow down your options...

Old 04-20-2012, 11:16 PM

13 posts, read 21,198 times
I would suggest Minneapolis, Portland, Seattle, Denver, Austin, San Diego, and New Orleans are prime spots for you. They all have that midwestern attitude and approach to life in the sense that people are generally laid back, friendly, and welcoming. They are all very vibrant as well and have communities that are very supporting of local independent food and arts.

NY, LA, Chicago, SF, Philly, and Boston would all be great as well, but they are very hectic and busy cities and don't have that midwestern pace of life that you say you are very comfortable with.

Montreal is an awesome choice, but unless you're a Canadian citizen or become a permanent resident, it will be difficult to find work there.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:58 AM

1,954 posts, read 4,506,779 times
I would say Portland or New Orleans because those places are loaded with that kind of thing. Chicago would be a good choice as well due to the size of the place, and of course NYC would be the ultimate destination if you can afford it. I have heard Montreal is pretty awesome as well, but not sure how feasible the whole Canada thing would be.

I grew up around Cleveland and it's not too bad, so make sure the place you go to is for sure an upgrade. Places like Minneapolis would perhaps be a slight improvement for what you're looking for, but probably not worth moving away from your family and friends for.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:48 AM

489 posts, read 469,138 times
Ithaca - if you want to branch out to the east coast.

Small town village vibe, affordable and extremely obliging to the arts. Plenty of bars/clubs for shows. Open air music is welcome and appreciated. Amazing camping at Tremen, as well as hinking the waterfalls, etc...

Definately a solid choice for anyone indie, hipster, philosophical, etc...

Old 04-21-2012, 02:49 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,242,303 times
Akron
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or