U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-06-2012, 08:54 AM
 
Location: ๏̯͡๏﴿ Gwinnett-That's a Civil Matter-County
2,117 posts, read 4,729,652 times
Reputation: 3482

Advertisements

The same place everyone else who can't afford San Fran or NYC live...
Oakland or New Jersey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-06-2012, 10:25 PM
 
Location: McKeesport
4,374 posts, read 6,631,710 times
Reputation: 3137
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
It says vibrant city and you mention Buffalo? Seriously?
Have you ever been to Buffalo? I was surprised by how vibrant it was. Allentown, Elmwood Village, parts of downtown, North Buffalo, etc. are all vibrant and walkable urban neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2012, 12:51 AM
 
2,783 posts, read 5,998,954 times
Reputation: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Have you ever been to Buffalo? I was surprised by how vibrant it was. Allentown, Elmwood Village, parts of downtown, North Buffalo, etc. are all vibrant and walkable urban neighborhoods.
Yes. It is tied with Jacksonville for worst city I have been to. There is nothing vibrant about Buffalo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2012, 04:57 AM
 
Location: McKeesport
4,374 posts, read 6,631,710 times
Reputation: 3137
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
Yes. It is tied with Jacksonville for worst city I have been to. There is nothing vibrant about Buffalo.
Hmm, I wonder why your impression of the city was so different than mine? I wonder if the time of your visit, or the places in Buffalo you visited, made a difference. I was there on this last St. Patty's day weekend and it was popping.

For me, examples of non-vibrant medium-to-large size cities would include Tulsa, Toledo, and downtown Cleveland. Buffalo seemed to be a step or two above those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2012, 08:01 AM
 
Location: New York
880 posts, read 1,549,371 times
Reputation: 536
There are many places within your price range you can be happy with in NYC, just have to look for it.

But if I couldn't live in either, I'd live in Los Angeles, probably. I've never driven a car before so it's a factor to live there without that ability but I think LA resembles NYC a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2012, 11:52 AM
 
Location: Brighton, England
3,697 posts, read 3,889,362 times
Reputation: 1096
Miami Beach
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2012, 02:05 PM
 
2,783 posts, read 5,998,954 times
Reputation: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Hmm, I wonder why your impression of the city was so different than mine? I wonder if the time of your visit, or the places in Buffalo you visited, made a difference. I was there on this last St. Patty's day weekend and it was popping.

For me, examples of non-vibrant medium-to-large size cities would include Tulsa, Toledo, and downtown Cleveland. Buffalo seemed to be a step or two above those.
Because you live in McKees Rocks, which couldn't be more different than where I live, hence a different vantage point. Every place is popping during St. Patty's Day. I was in Nashville. I doubt it was very different. People are doing the same imbibing whether they are in Buffalo, Nashville, Miami, or Topeka. Buffalo is akin to Cleveland to me, although I would at least like to see an Indians game and Cleveland has a few notable restauranteurs. I haven't been to Tulsa, but I would probably like it there more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2012, 05:19 PM
 
Location: Old Hyde Park, Kansas City,MO
1,145 posts, read 1,884,176 times
Reputation: 558
I'd consider a small town like Burlington Vermont
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2012, 08:03 PM
 
Location: McKeesport
4,374 posts, read 6,631,710 times
Reputation: 3137
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
Because you live in McKees Rocks, which couldn't be more different than where I live, hence a different vantage point.
That would perhaps be true if I had always lived in McKees Rocks, but I have lived and traveled to many other places, some more upscale and some that made McKees Rocks look like Rittenhouse Square.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2012, 09:39 PM
 
2,783 posts, read 5,998,954 times
Reputation: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
That would perhaps be true if I had always lived in McKees Rocks, but I have lived and traveled to many other places, some more upscale and some that made McKees Rocks look like Rittenhouse Square.
I have to question all of that if you call Buffalo vibrant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:33 PM.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top