Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 07:55 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,493,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbtxgal View Post
My family and I are planning a move very soon but can't decide exactly where...we LOVE Coeur D'Alene ID and the Spokane area but there aren't many IF any direct flights from Houston to that region, same with Grants Pass Oregon...both great areas. We have flight benefits with Contienal/United AKA FREE...so kinds need to stick to their flight destinations. We like the Northwest area but need a ton of sun! We would enjoy a mid size town but no more that 2hr drive from MAJOR airport (not regional). California isn't really on our radar, too pricey. Any suggestions would be great!!
Famliy of 4, homeschool, slow paced life, need a great church, affordable living, LOTS of outdoor activity, 4 seasons, BUT lots of SUN and GREEN!
1. Albuquerque NM
2.Seattle WA
3.Portland OR
4.Reno NV
5.Salt Lake UH
6.Tucson AZ
7.Phoenix AZ
8. Las Vegas NV
9.El Paso TX
10. Colorado Springs CO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 10:40 PM

161 posts, read 210,533 times
hbtxgal, with Denver being too much for you and all of the other things that you want there is not a lot for you.

Chatanooga, TN
Pittsburgh, PN
Boise, ID

What is your budget?

Would you rather be out East or West?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
1. Albuquerque NM
2.Seattle WA
3.Portland OR
4.Reno NV
5.Salt Lake UH
6.Tucson AZ
7.Phoenix AZ
8. Las Vegas NV
9.El Paso TX
10. Colorado Springs CO
Nitpicking: It is UT, not UH.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:53 PM

1,374 posts, read 3,241,893 times
I can't believe nobody has suggested it yet ... So, I will! How about beautiful, eclectic ASHEVILLE, NORTH CAROLINA?
It's just a few hours away from a major airport in Charlotte, and a regional airport in Knoxville, TN

Explore Asheville, NC | Asheville, NC's Official Tourism Web Site

May I also highly recommend the very scenic college town of CORVALLIS, OREGON. It's consistently ranked as one of the best small cities in America for relocation. I fell in love with Corvallis back in 2007 ... it's a beautiful town, nestled among Oregon's scenic coastal mountain range. 'Mary's Peak', the highest mountain in the coastal range is located just a few miles outside of town, and looms large over the city. It's location is less than two hours away from a major airport in Portland (PDX), and there are also regional airports in nearby Salem and in Eugene.

Visit Corvallis and Benton County Oregon

Old 04-24-2012, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post
I can't believe nobody has suggested it yet ... So, I will! How about beautiful, eclectic ASHEVILLE, NORTH CAROLINA?
It's just a few hours away from a major airport in Charlotte, and a regional airport in Knoxville, TN

Explore Asheville, NC | Asheville, NC's Official Tourism Web Site

May I also highly recommend the very scenic college town of CORVALLIS, OREGON. It's consistently ranked as one of the best small cities in America for relocation. I fell in love with Corvallis back in 2007 ... it's a beautiful town, nestled among Oregon's scenic coastal mountain range. 'Mary's Peak', the highest mountain in the coastal range is located just a few miles outside of town, and looms large over the city. It's location is less than two hours away from a major airport in Portland (PDX), and there are also regional airports in nearby Salem and in Eugene.

Visit Corvallis and Benton County Oregon
Because it is four hours away from Charlotte when the OP said two hours for a major airport.

Asheville, on the other hand, may be okay.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:55 AM

6,334 posts, read 11,496,870 times
I didn't think Asheville was that far away from the airport but it is pushing 2 hours. Hickory is much better located but I don't know about its downtown. Maybe Winston Salem would work.

Besides, Asheville is not a good value for the money unless you just have to have the hippie artsy vibe. Hendersonville has a cute downtown and is a bit closer to Charlotte.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:09 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,346,731 times
Someone mentioned gainesville, GA.

I think that comes close to meeting your reqs.

Famliy of 4: Families are all that I see.
slow paced life: check. But I wouldn't call it retirement grade slow.
need a great church: more churches per capita than anywhere else on earth i think
affordable living: part of the number 1 or 2 worst housing market in the country. Lots of homes for sale for less than they cost to build.
LOTS of outdoor activity: Check. Plus a huge lake.
4 seasons: I always say it's 3 and a half seasons.
BUT lots of SUN and GREEN: Check. Something like 219 sunny days a year but unlike the southwestern states, we have lots of green.

Couple of things tho. Gainesville is about 1:45 from the airport (Atlanta airport- worlds busiest airport ) once you're on the interstate. (I would give at least 2.5 hrs to be safe) So you're at the max for that and you're really not in the mountains quite yet. There's only 2 mountains that I know in the county way on the north end on the county line. If you can give a little on the travel time to the airport, you can be more in the mountains. Then again, this takes you further away from any semblance of a city.

Asheville, NC has a cute little airport (only one runway) but you may not find direct flights. Usually it's just puddle jumpers to atlanta (world's worst- er I mean worlds busiest) or charlotte where you have to transfer.

Greenville was also mentioned. That's another one that may not have the direct flights you're looking for and it's really not exactly in the mountains but not far from them.

You might look at roanoke and also the tri-cities area of TN. More puddle jumper airports but at least you'll be thoroughly in the mountains without being in total boondocks.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:01 AM

1,374 posts, read 3,241,893 times
In the prior post, ROANOKE, VA was mentioned ... Excellent choice!

Roanoke Visitor Information | Roanoke Hotels, Restaurants, Events & Things to Do

There's a major 'regional airport' in Bristol, TN ( at VA border ) that offers some commercial flights. Roanoke's airport may even provide flights on major US carriers ...

Old 04-24-2012, 11:13 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,807,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbtxgal View Post
My family and I are planning a move very soon but can't decide exactly where...we LOVE Coeur D'Alene ID and the Spokane area but there aren't many IF any direct flights from Houston to that region, same with Grants Pass Oregon...both great areas. We have flight benefits with Contienal/United AKA FREE...so kinds need to stick to their flight destinations. We like the Northwest area but need a ton of sun! We would enjoy a mid size town but no more that 2hr drive from MAJOR airport (not regional). California isn't really on our radar, too pricey. Any suggestions would be great!!
Famliy of 4, homeschool, slow paced life, need a great church, affordable living, LOTS of outdoor activity, 4 seasons, BUT lots of SUN and GREEN!
Washington state could still work actually. Just look over to Ellensburg which fits the 2 hrs to the airport and definitely is sunny.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:55 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,791,955 times
Seattle, Washington (no true winter though )

Yakima, Washington

Ellensburg, Washington

Anchorage, Alaska (summer is mild but it is there)

Fairbanks, Alaska (long, very cold winters, short semi-hot summers, and short and mild bumper seasons for the transitions between the two)

Old 04-24-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I didn't think Asheville was that far away from the airport but it is pushing 2 hours. Hickory is much better located but I don't know about its downtown. Maybe Winston Salem would work.

Besides, Asheville is not a good value for the money unless you just have to have the hippie artsy vibe. Hendersonville has a cute downtown and is a bit closer to Charlotte.
Yeah, it pretty much is exactly two hours. It is difficult to give good advice when the OP is very specific in some areas and so vague in others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.