U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 11:55 PM

5 posts, read 19,199 times
Default Where do the NICEST people live?

I know there will always be a mix of personalities anywhere you go, but is there somewhere in the US that is known to have the nicest residents? Are people in smaller towns more likely to be friendly and nice than those in big cities? What I mean by nice is the type of people who treat others with kindness and respect, are accepting, wont talk about you behind your back, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 12:21 AM

38,744 posts, read 37,204,368 times
When my midwestern visitors come here to Texas, they are absolutely stunned by how nice people are. People you encounter in a business environment pay attention to you personally, and are not in too much of a hurry to personally relate to you. They're not aggressive for money, and will provide small services with a smile for no charge. Traffic is more leisurely and courteous. Strangers are more approachable and conversational.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:19 AM

83 posts, read 75,638 times
I would say the deep south but that's hearsay; I haven't been there.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:47 AM

332 posts, read 322,483 times
There's an old parable that bears repeating. I haven't lived everywhere... but for the most part I find it true.
Quote:
A man moved to a new town. He asked his neighbor whether the people there were friendly or not. The local resident in turn asked, “What were people like where you used to live?”
The newcomer scowled and said, “They were really unfriendly, always rude and in a big hurry, I couldn’t wait to get away from that place.”
The resident said, “Well, I’m afraid you’ll find the people here are pretty much the same.”

A week later, another man moved to the neighborhood. He asked the same neighbor the same question. The local asked this second newcomer the same question: “What were the people like where you used to live?”
This newcomer smiled and said, “Oh, that town was the friendliest place you could ever imagine, everyone smiled and said hello, and were helpful and courteous.”
The local returned the smile and said, “Well, I’m glad to hear it, I think you’ll find people here are pretty much the same.”

Old 04-24-2012, 11:52 AM

8 posts, read 9,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtotheBerkshires View Post
I know there will always be a mix of personalities anywhere you go, but is there somewhere in the US that is known to have the nicest residents? Are people in smaller towns more likely to be friendly and nice than those in big cities? What I mean by nice is the type of people who treat others with kindness and respect, are accepting, wont talk about you behind your back, etc.
I agree...I am from a small town and everyone is friendly! My brother lives in a big city, and when visiting, you can feel the difference. My brother misses the small town people!

Old 04-24-2012, 12:16 PM

469 posts, read 143,857 times
Mississippi is knows as the "Hospitality State".

Old 04-24-2012, 12:29 PM

358 posts, read 384,504 times
Texans are the nicest people because they can't help but tell you nice they are within 5 minutes of meeting them. Bless their little hearts.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:56 PM

3,235 posts, read 4,990,570 times
I've never been to a mean place. Everywhere I've gone people are nice. The majority of people that I've known that think a place is mean, brought it upon themselves.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:10 PM

2,427 posts, read 2,234,130 times
In the broadest terms, I've been to very few places in the US where most people are NOT friendly. Doesn't mean that I'd neccessarily want to live in some of these places, but I've seen common courtesy and respect toward strangers more often than not, sometimes in places where I'd least expect it.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:22 PM

3,900 posts, read 1,896,421 times
Indianapolis has some of the nicest down to earth people
Hoosier Hospitality is real and its part of what makes us a Hidden Gem in the country. Super Bowl 46 was a great showcase for Hoosier Hospitality.
People are willing to go out of their way to help you and thats wonderful. Heck during Super Bowl 46 the east coasters said were too nice........ lol you cant be to nice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.