Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 10:08 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times

Advertisements

Ithaca is the only place where I have been IN THE ENTIRE WORLD where a woman cussed me out for holding the door open for her. I doubt you'll find that sort of vibe anywhere in the South.
Oh..and regarding the Athens post with pictures, Stormtroopers in a Christmas parade isn't that unusual. They show up in the one in Raleigh as well and I am guessing other places too with Star Wars clubs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 10:43 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Ithaca is the only place where I have been IN THE ENTIRE WORLD where a woman cussed me out for holding the door open for her. I doubt you'll find that sort of vibe anywhere in the South.
Oh..and regarding the Athens post with pictures, Stormtroopers in a Christmas parade isn't that unusual. They show up in the one in Raleigh as well and I am guessing other places too with Star Wars clubs.
That is indicitive of that woman, not Ithaca. It is by and large a laid back area.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That is indicitive of that woman, not Ithaca. It is by and large a laid back area.
Well, that's good to hear because that was not my experience at all for the week I was there.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:00 PM

327 posts, read 644,461 times
Gainesville is nice.

Old 02-14-2021, 10:18 PM

1 posts, read 435 times
Curious where you ended up and if you found a place that met your criteria? We moved away from Ithaca 4 years ago to Charleston, Sc. I miss Ithaca all the time but also can’t do the winters. Although with a good bit of work we’ve found some community in Charleston we are considering moving again. I miss hills, freshwater lakes and rivers, and the quirky intellectuals with a crunchy granola vibe too. And people who are spiritual but don’t take themselves too seriously or think they are holier than thou...

Old 02-15-2021, 09:17 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Asheville is the consumate hippie town but the university presence isn't huge. There are intellectuals from elsewhere but I don't think that many grad students. What about Charlottesville VA? That's what jumps out for me.

If Chattannooga is intellectual enough for you you might consider Knoxville. Plenty of smart people - but they are blended in with lots of ordinary folks and a few idiots.
The OP should know we get winter in Tennessee....this is not Florida. Tge high is in the 40s today. South Carolina is in the 40s as well. If the OP wants warm weather in winter he will have to go further south then Tennessee or the Carolinas. Anywhere from Atlanta/Birmingham north still sees occasional snow. Anywhere north of Florida can see snow and cool weather is still common.

Old 02-15-2021, 11:33 AM

20,102 posts, read 9,018,880 times
it snowed along the US/Mexico border yesterday.

Old 02-15-2021, 12:24 PM

12,164 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Asheville?

Old 02-15-2021, 04:15 PM

6,379 posts, read 5,495,991 times
Surprised that in 9 years nobody has brought up Chapel Hill or especially Carrboro. It doesn't get much "crunchier" in the SE than Carrboro. Orange County also has one of the highest educational attainment levels in the Southeast (and US as a whole) so seems it would check the intellectual box off as well.

Old 02-18-2021, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Surprised that in 9 years nobody has brought up Chapel Hill or especially Carrboro. It doesn't get much "crunchier" in the SE than Carrboro. Orange County also has one of the highest educational attainment levels in the Southeast (and US as a whole) so seems it would check the intellectual box off as well.
The OP mentioned the Triangle in the original post as a market that's tapped out for their career opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.