Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 08:10 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,411,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Livonia, Mi is least peaceful? Laughable !
I'm sure the focus is mostly on Detroit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 08:41 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,054,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Maine borders New Brunswick in Aroostook county.
I was talking about the city in New Jersey

Old 04-25-2012, 08:55 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
New Brunswick one of the most peaceful? When I was there it seemed pretty ghetto.
It's a study of metro areas. The Edison-New Brunswick metro area covers all of Middlesex, Somerset, Monmouth, and Ocean counties (mostly anything but ghetto). The little bit of seediness in New Brunswick (a city of 50,000 people) is a drop in the bucket of the four county area (population 2,340,000)

Old 04-25-2012, 08:56 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Well, Louisiana has one of the highest murder rates in the USA, so that might be a factor.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:08 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Default Maine ranked most peaceful state. Louisana last

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
The annual United States Peace Index finds the country overall more peaceful than at anytime in the past 20 years, with Maine finishing first as the "most peaceful" state and Louisiana placing last for the 11th year in a row.

In rankings by metropolitan area, the 2012 survey finds Cambridge-Newton-Framingham in Massachusetts as most peaceful and Detroit-Livionia-Dearborn in Michigan as least peaceful.

Survey: Maine ranked 'most peaceful' state; Louisiana last
Not for nothing but there is some serious PC bs on this survey. Categories like Incarceration, Small Arms and Number of Police Employees (!) is very debatable. Some would argue that some or all of these help keep an area safe, especially police employees. However, I guess its still useful if you look past the PC stuff.
United States Peace Index « Vision of Humanity

In my state of New York we do well in most of their categories but we are brought down by having "too many Police Employees". Having "too many police employees" is one reason that a big city like New York is as safe as it is! Particually these days since NYC is a big terrorist target.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:50 AM

785 posts, read 1,882,579 times
^^ Having lots of police and a high incarceration rate might keep a place safe, and saftey's probably more important than peace, but if a place needs to incarcerate a lot of people and needs a lot of police, then it can't really be considered that peaceful.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:14 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
I hate studies like this because they really weight their findings based on an agenda. And, to be honest with you, their formula is a head scratcher

For example, they consider gun ownership as one of the weighted factors, as well as incarceration and police. Alabama, for instance has a modest violent crime and murder rate but high numbers for incarceration, number of police, and gun ownership rate. So Alabama gets penalized for those factors despite the fact that violent crime is actually lower than many other supposedly more 'peaceful' states. Has it occurred to the Australian authors of this survey that when citizens have the right to defend themselves, when there are more police on the beat, and when hardened criminals are put behind bars, that it actually contributes to peace rather than detracts from it?

Old 04-26-2012, 02:40 PM

83 posts, read 163,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
It's funny because while we are the "least peaceful" we are also the happiest state.
studies have ranked southeastern states as below average for happiness (not that studies are everything!)

what's your basis for what you said.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:30 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I guarantee Lousianians don't give a fudge.
Yeah, I'd take drive-through daiquiri stands, no closing time for bars, Mardi Gras, Jazz Fest, and crawfish boils over "peacfulness" any day too...

Old 04-26-2012, 04:09 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Yeah, I'd take drive-through daiquiri stands, no closing time for bars, Mardi Gras, Jazz Fest, and crawfish boils over "peacfulness" any day too...
I'm scared of the drive through daiquiri stands. Drunk driving is very likely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.