U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 01:58 PM

2 posts, read 2,126 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband and I are looking into moving from currently Los Angeles to a smaller city, that would offer excitement/culture, but also more affordability with regards to raising a family. We met while we were both living and working in New York City and moved back to his hometown, LA. We have both done the big city thing and are over the high costs, over-population, artificial / entitled attitudes and behaviors.

Anyhow, I am very aware that the grass isn't always greener but at this point, my husband and I will be looking to have a family in 5 years, and also feel a smaller city will fit our needs better. We have thrown around Boston and Austin. Both cities offer jobs for both of our fields (accounting and PR), per internet news sites so I'll take that with a grain of salt...Both have many pro's and con's. Boston --> Cold Weather, Harsher attitudes, higher cost of living. Austin --> Brutally hot summers, perhaps might be too laidback. And obviously both offer many positives..

Thoughts from others who have been in similar situations?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 03:08 PM

14 posts, read 37,310 times
Portland has what you are looking for in environment and cost. I don't think there are as many accounting or pr jobs though.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:58 PM

10,087 posts, read 13,113,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk1110 View Post
Hi,

My husband and I are looking into moving from currently Los Angeles to a smaller city, that would offer excitement/culture, but also more affordability with regards to raising a family. We met while we were both living and working in New York City and moved back to his hometown, LA. We have both done the big city thing and are over the high costs, over-population, artificial / entitled attitudes and behaviors.

Anyhow, I am very aware that the grass isn't always greener but at this point, my husband and I will be looking to have a family in 5 years, and also feel a smaller city will fit our needs better. We have thrown around Boston and Austin. Both cities offer jobs for both of our fields (accounting and PR), per internet news sites so I'll take that with a grain of salt...Both have many pro's and con's. Boston --> Cold Weather, Harsher attitudes, higher cost of living. Austin --> Brutally hot summers, perhaps might be too laidback. And obviously both offer many positives..

Thanks in advance!
I lived in Boston for a few years before moving here to LA.

Would you be moving out to more suburban neighborhoods or would you be in the city? It still has a similar big-city attitude that LA and NYC have - albeit on a much smaller scale.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:43 AM

2 posts, read 2,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I lived in Boston for a few years before moving here to LA.

Would you be moving out to more suburban neighborhoods or would you be in the city? It still has a similar big-city attitude that LA and NYC have - albeit on a much smaller scale.
Hi,

We would look to live in Boston proper for probably the first few years. What major differences do you see between LA and Boston?

Thank You!

Old 04-28-2012, 01:26 PM

7,238 posts, read 10,897,588 times
Boston isn't a mid-sized city by any stretch of the imagination.

While it is much smaller in comparison to LA (especially Boston Proper and LA proper), its Metropolitan Area is still one of the top 10 largest in the country, and its Combined Statiscal Area is one of the top 5 largest in the country, and growing. That's larger than Detroit, Phoenix, San Francisco and San Antonio.

Boston is one of the most expensive cities in the country, probably even more expensive than what you're used to in California. However, I would say the trade off for a slightly higher cost of living is worth it, given the higher quality of life. It's ranked 3rd in terms of livability in the US and 36th in the world.

That said, have you thought about any other cities?

Old 04-30-2012, 07:15 AM

21,195 posts, read 30,379,606 times
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks in advance!
You might consider Atlanta. It's a major player in the jobs market as just about every major corporation not based in the city has at least a regional office there. It's far more laidback than LA or Boston, has a milder four season climate than Austin (particularly summer) and has very livable, family-friendly "in-town suburbs" with good schools within an easy commute into downtown. Check out North Druid Hills/Druid Hills, Decatur/North Decatur and East Atlanta.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:25 AM

388 posts, read 865,284 times
Nashville sounds like a good option.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:05 AM

3,723 posts, read 3,880,962 times
Quote:
Hi,

We would look to live in Boston proper for probably the first few years. What major differences do you see between LA and Boston?

Thank You!
There are a lot of differences between Boston and LA. I will speak on the cities themselves since you wish to live in the city of Boston. Boston is a much more compact city than LA is. We have an extensive transit system that not only includes buses, but train transit as well. You could really live in the city of Boston without a car, whereas LA would be more of an issue.

There's the weather. Boston of course has cold winters and we get snow. LA has much milder winters of course.

Boston lacks palm trees.

Boston lacks massive freeways.

Boston lacks In-N-Out.

Fenway Park is a lot easier to get to/from than Dodger Stadium.

Boston has a lot more unique neighborhoods and areas.

Boston is very walkable in the downtown area.

Boston has a nice Italian neighborhood in the North End.

Boston is right on the water.

Boston is not laid out in a neat grid for the more part.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
There are a lot of differences between Boston and LA. I will speak on the cities themselves since you wish to live in the city of Boston. Boston is a much more compact city than LA is. We have an extensive transit system that not only includes buses, but train transit as well. You could really live in the city of Boston without a car, whereas LA would be more of an issue.

There's the weather. Boston of course has cold winters and we get snow. LA has much milder winters of course.

Boston lacks palm trees.

Boston lacks massive freeways.

Boston lacks In-N-Out.

Fenway Park is a lot easier to get to/from than Dodger Stadium.

Boston has a lot more unique neighborhoods and areas.

Boston is very walkable in the downtown area.

Boston has a nice Italian neighborhood in the North End.

Boston is right on the water.

Boston is not laid out in a neat grid for the more part.
A lot of these seem irrelevant as a reason to move to Boston - not to mention an opinion; I disagree with a few as differences between the cities.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:02 AM

So in my experience, here is the differences between the two:

The weather in Boston is not far off from NYC, so it will be something you have experienced before - it might be slightly colder some winters but nothing extreme compared to New York. Obviously is it vastly different compared to LA.

There is a much slower pace of life in Boston - things close down earlier (1 AM last call, etc), the streets seem a little less "active" late at night. There is less to do in the city, particularly when it comes to music venues, comedy clubs, movie theaters, live music, etc. That being said Boston has a lot compared to most cities and is certainly not lacking (it's just not NYC or LA). Boston has awesome museums, especially for a city its size, and often they are free (an accessible by PT, always a plus!) - I'd say they are comparable to LA's.

Boston is a smaller/more compact city, so it can be easy to zip around the city fairly quickly. Buses are a lot worse in Boston compared to LA - the trains are a bit better (stay away from the B Line!). The system is older so the train cars/stations are grungier than in LA. Boston is a more walkable city - probably the most walkable in the country, particularly in the central neighborhoods like Beacon Hill, Downtown, South End, Back Bay. Almost all of the city is accessible via rail - though buses often make more sense, particularly when traveling around the "Spokes" of Boston's PT hub.

If you and your husband are planning on driving to work (not recommended/necessary if you live close by work) I would recommend just owning one at first and then seeing if you must have another - it can be quite a pain to have even one car in the city of Boston, so I would take the wait and see approach with that.

There are tons of parks in Boston (one of my favorite things about it) - from the Arnold Arboretum to the Public Garden to the Common and all the little pocket parks scattered around - it is a really green city in the spring and summer. Winter, not so much

Where are you currently living in LA? It might make it easier to make a neighborhood recommendation (i.e. Valley - Newton/West Roxbury, Silverlake - Jamaica Plain, Hollywood/Weho - Allston/Kenmore)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or