Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 05:14 AM

5,824 posts, read 5,630,594 times

Advertisements

This is fun. I dont have a Facebook or Classmates account, but if I did I'd make a complete analysis. But from what I gather, as of last September...

I grew up in the Tri-Cities area of Richmond, Virginia. The majority, probably towards 60%, have either stayed in the Tri-Cities or made that 25-minute "leap to the City" (Richmond). However, a good quarter of my classmates/friends have moved on and settled in Hampton Roads (Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Hampton, Newport News). Growing up, I didnt realize so many people found it so attractive out there lol. Now the remaining 15% of us went abroad: there is a good amount in the DC metro, and also a few of us in New York City. One of my friends is actually a burgeoning model in Manhattan. And I'm the only one in NY who isnt in NYC. Going south, I a few are in NC, metro Atlanta and North to Central Florida. VERY few people I know of left the Eastern Seaboard. One in Indianapolis, one in Seattle, one in LA, a handful in Texas, but thats it....

I'm also class of 2007, so everyone I grew up with is between 22 and 24 this year. This is the 5-yr analysis, however it may be too soon anyway to make this survey for me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 09:07 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times
I agree. About 60% end up staying within 1-hour's drive of where they grew up.

Old 10-01-2019, 11:13 PM

6,376 posts, read 5,000,641 times
Inner-ring Chicago suburb here. Going through my close circle of friends at the time:

- A few still live with their parents
- A few have moved out into trendy North Side neighborhoods of the city (or into farther-out suburbs, if they were getting married and having kids)
- One moved with his family to the Bay Area and he still lives with them
- One moved with his family to New Orleans a while back, and we had a falling-out so IDK what he's doing now
- One lives in Madison, WI
- One lives in Brooklyn
- One lives in San Diego
- One lives in Albuquerque
- One went to UIUC, got a job in Urbana-Champaign, and just stayed there
- One lived in Japan for a few years but apparently recently came back to Chicago?
- One lived in LA for a while and is now in Paris

And I think I at least knew people who have moved to every region of the country, besides the Deep South. So... out of the people who flee the city for one reason or another, there's no strong trend in destinations.

Old 10-01-2019, 11:57 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,925,047 times
I went to elementary and part of middle school in suburban New Orleans. Most stayed there but many also moved to the Baton Rouge area, especially after Katrina. More specifically though, I grew up in Metairie but there was a lot of internal migration within the New Orleans region to the Northshore, to the point where I hardly know anyone in Metairie anymore because they're mainly in St. Tammany Parish, Hammond, Ponchatoula, or the Baton Rouge area.

The people who had left Louisiana have mostly gone to Texas or Florida. I personally returned to Louisiana and now live outside Baton Rouge though I want something more rural, still within my parish but further from the urbanized areas. If I were to live in the NO area again, I would only consider living on the Northshore, not Metairie/Kenner nor the city itself.

I went to high school outside Baltimore. Many people stayed there, but quite a few left Maryland for the South, mostly North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Texas and West Virginia. A few followed the migration to southern PA too. York County is full of Baltimore transplants.

One common trend is people moving to areas with lower taxes, lower crime, cheaper homes, and less density. There was always talk of fleeing the big city for more suburban or rural areas.

Old 10-02-2019, 07:17 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,489,069 times
I grew up in New Hampshire. The large majority stayed in our hometown, or came back after graduating college. They live within an hour or two of where we grew up.

The largest segment of those of us who left went to Boston, which is about a 2 hour drive away. The second most popular outside destination was Colorado, and a lot of the people I skied/snowboarded with growing up moved out there. I know of four other people, including myself, who live here in New York City. A couple moved down south to North Caroline, Georgia, and Florida. A few are scattered around the Midwest (mostly Chicago), and a few scattered out on the West Coast.

Old 10-02-2019, 10:22 AM

12,839 posts, read 9,562,557 times
In south Texas? Most of them stayed and had babies at 18. They're still there. I think those that left drifted towards Houston, San Antonio and Austin naturally.

Old 10-02-2019, 08:07 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Of those I have kept in touch with, only is still in the San Francisco Bay Area. Only one other is still in California, but now to the south in Newport Beach. Three are up here in Washington, another four are in Oregon. One is in Tennessee, one in Michigan, one in D.C.

Old 10-02-2019, 08:38 PM

235 posts, read 331,491 times
I grew up in Fayetteville NC. I’d say 1/3 is still there, about another 1/3 is in Raleigh Durham an hour away. After that there’s a handful of people in Wilmington, Charlotte, DC, NY, Mass, Texas, Florida, San Fran, Chicago, Seattle (in decreasing order). I’m in Atlanta and there’s surprisingly no one else from my grade here.

Old 10-03-2019, 10:28 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,081 times
For those who didn't stay in NW Ohio;

Charlotte
Charleston, SC
Tampa
Los Angeles
San Diego
Chicago
Denver
Columbus
Minneapolis

I know at least a few people that moved to all the listed cities.

Old 10-03-2019, 11:46 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,969,367 times
As far as my class in suburban St Louis. Per Facebook, my former class mates frome highschool went to Florida, Seattle, DC Baltimore area, Little Rock, Springfield, Cincinnati, Bakersfield Ca., Minneapolis, Nashville, Medellin Columbia, Beijing China and several are in Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.