Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think is the Divide Line between North and South?
Interstate 70 11 7.64%
U.S. Route 50 13 9.03%
Mason-Dixie Line & Ohio River 67 46.53%
U.S. Route 60 29 20.14%
Other 30 20.83%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 06:12 PM

581 posts, read 968,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech12 View Post
Hush Puppies and sweet tea are hard to find in MD and DE. Maybe that means something. I don't know.
Hush puppies and sweet tea are very easy to find just about everywhere in Maryland. In rural Pennsylvania too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 08:11 PM

13 posts, read 14,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
Hush puppies and sweet tea are very easy to find just about everywhere in Maryland. In rural Pennsylvania too.
Sweet tea is served all over now, not just mostly in the south anymore.

Modern times I don't think the Mason Dixon line is a good barrier. Northern VA is not southern, nor is Maryland except for the Eastern Shore, and Delaware is NOT southern. Modern time they have more in common with the northeast.

The Ohio river can be a good divider to use. Except southern Indiana has strong southern influences in areas like Evansville which is almost totally southern. Where the Ohio ends by Missouri it can be extended to highway 60 as a semi dividing line for dixie, except I'd say about 20 miles north on down from highway 60 because for example hwy 60 runs thru the far southern edge of Scott County, when places like Benton, Delta, Advanced are 20 miles north of hwy 60 and are southern towns. Once the Ohio river reachs the MS where Missouri is, the south because more blurred in MO and there is a transition zone which extends to central Missouri where the culture is a mix of midwest and southern like southern Indiana is.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:22 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,992,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustwantBluesWinCup View Post
I think people put way to much emphasis on the sweet tea dilemma. People drink iced tea regularly all over the country. We are not living in the 18th century anymore and it's not just a southern thing.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:20 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,093,568 times
Quote:

Modern times I don't think the Mason Dixon line is a good barrier. Northern VA is not southern, nor is Maryland except for the Eastern Shore, and Delaware is NOT southern. Modern time they have more in common with the northeast.

The Ohio river can be a good divider to use. Except southern Indiana has strong southern influences in areas like Evansville which is almost totally southern. Where the Ohio ends by Missouri it can be extended to highway 60 as a semi dividing line for dixie, except I'd say about 20 miles north on down from highway 60 because for example hwy 60 runs thru the far southern edge of Scott County, when places like Benton, Delta, Advanced are 20 miles north of hwy 60 and are southern towns. Once the Ohio river reachs the MS where Missouri is, the south because more blurred in MO and there is a transition zone which extends to central Missouri where the culture is a mix of midwest and southern like southern Indiana is.
I'd place the cutoff of that mixture below central Missouri.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:22 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,093,568 times
Quote:
Missouri though is not totally northern. There are parts of the state that are in Dixie that are fully southern. In east MO Cape Girardeau county is where Dixie begins and about 20 miles north of US 60 elsewhere in Missouri. After that its a transition zone of midwest/southern.
Only up to roughly U.S. 50 would I call it a transition zone. Missouri when weighed as a whole state is definitely more northern than southern by today's standards.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Only up to roughly U.S. 50 would I call it a transition zone. Missouri when weighed as a whole state is definitely more northern than southern by today's standards.
True. I dunno if I would call it "northern" or more heartland instead. When I think of northern I think of new england, MN which are also far more liberal than Missouri is. Even Indiana I dunno if I would call northern because like Missouri they too are also an conservative state generally and their mindset isn't that of New England or the far north.

US 50 I agree. Except in Eastern MO like Ste Gen for example is below US 50, but you get the idea. Eastern Missouri is odd though. Like JEfferson county even, once you get out of hoosier Arnold and into the rural sections down south even there I can see a hint of Ozarks flavor, very slight southern touch. When going into Jefferson county it feels totally different than anyone in stl county minus Arnold, and Fenton area.

St. Louis is just located in a odd spot though. We are not very far from Dixie. 100 miles south in I55 and you're entering Dixie in Cape, and transition zone is nearby too, Saint Francis co IMO it begins. Then in Madison county is when dixie starts to become more dominate.

A Wash U professor told us that Stl is a city in between the North and the South due to our location in midamerica how its a city in the lower midwest that isn't far from the south, but not fully in the north.

Ive said before Baltimore is VERY simlar to Stl. Both were a divided, border city in the civil war, both had riots and have the Union Army come in, but became indistrilized in the late 1800s, and both cities lost most of its heritage and southern roots. Present day they both are similar. And weather is very similar too except in the summer St. Louis is a tad warmer.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:46 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,992,041 times
Quote:
True. I dunno if I would call it "northern" or more heartland instead. When I think of northern I think of new england, MN which are also far more liberal than Missouri is. Even Indiana I dunno if I would call northern because like Missouri they too are also an conservative state generally and their mindset isn't that of New England or the far north.

US 50 I agree. Except in Eastern MO like Ste Gen for example is below US 50, but you get the idea. Eastern Missouri is odd though. Like JEfferson county even, once you get out of hoosier Arnold and into the rural sections down south even there I can see a hint of Ozarks flavor, very slight southern touch. When going into Jefferson county it feels totally different than anyone in stl county minus Arnold, and Fenton area.

St. Louis is just located in a odd spot though. We are not very far from Dixie. 100 miles south in I55 and you're entering Dixie in Cape, and transition zone is nearby too, Saint Francis co IMO it begins. Then in Madison county is when dixie starts to become more dominate.

A Wash U professor told us that Stl is a city in between the North and the South due to our location in midamerica how its a city in the lower midwest that isn't far from the south, but not fully in the north.

Ive said before Baltimore is VERY simlar to Stl. Both were a divided, border city in the civil war, both had riots and have the Union Army come in, but became indistrilized in the late 1800s, and both cities lost most of its heritage and southern roots. Present day they both are similar. And weather is very similar too except in the summer St. Louis is a tad warmer.
I never really thought of St. Louis a southern city by any means. Its been tradtionally called the "Gateway to the West" and not the "Gateway to the South". I think that says a lot about the history of the city.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I never really thought of St. Louis a southern city by any means. Its been tradtionally called the "Gateway to the West" and not the "Gateway to the South". I think that says a lot about the history of the city.
True. Like I said Dixie begins on I55 in Cape Girardeau.

I guess you can say St. Louis is the last major midwest city in the MO area as the next major city to the south is Memphis.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:01 AM

1 posts, read 1,325 times
The true divide between north and south would be at the NC and VA border! Seriously!

Old 01-10-2014, 11:37 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunoet View Post
The true divide between north and south would be at the NC and VA border! Seriously!
I would agree with you along the eastern portions of the NC/VA border along the I-95 corridor. However, once you're in the mountains of VA, it's a lot more conservative so I'd have to disagree at that point.

Actually, the closer you are to the coast, the more northern it seems. Lots of transplants funnel down the coastline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.