Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 05:48 PM

673 posts, read 4,058,376 times

Advertisements

I was wondering any cities that are in close proximity that are completely different in character and personality.

Omaha and Lincoln, Nebraska
Big differences between these two. One Omaha has some of the most polite, caring people one could ever meet while Lincoln has some of the most arrogant, snooty and rude people in the nation. Omaha is also prosperous, aggressive at economic and cultural expansion while Lincoln is stuck in the 1950s mentality. Not only that but the cities couldnt be politically different, Omaha is much more progressive they dont care about who is gay or straight or if someone is religious or not religious (Omaha is live and let live) is more personal in Omaha even though the city is heavily-religious reputation. Lincoln on the other hand is very, very anti-gay and has people aggressive bible thumpers widespread throughout the town. Very few Lincolnites will associate with those arent saved or born again, its the most socially conservative town in America by far.

Denver and Colorado Springs
One is extreme liberal (Denver) Denverites are extremely outgoing, energetic, talkative, outdoorsy, unreserved, talkative bunch.

The other just 48 miles south of the Denver city limits is extremely reserved, very proper and polite, much more indoorsy, very quiet, talking loud is frowned down upon in restaurants, lacks energy.

Overall people in Colorado Springs are great at saying "please", "thanks", "have a nice day" but unlike Denver thats about as deep as the conversation a vast majority of the populous wants to have.

In Denver people will just walk up to another person and comment and start talking to them like they have known them for years, in Colorado Springs the same social situation and the vast majority of the populous would freak out

In fact if the same people went to Colorado Springs places on a Saturday night that live in Denver and frequent places in Denver and acted like Denverites they would stared at by the Colorado Springs residents and jaws dropped for "being loud"

Any other cities mentalities of the people change in such a short distance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 06:16 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,530,061 times
Minneapolis
White Collar
Western
Uppity Liberal
Newer
Organized Streets
Faster
Saint Paul
Blue Collar
Eastern
Older
"Drunken Irishmen" streets (Thanks Ventura)
New Deal Liberal
Slower

Old 07-10-2007, 07:30 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,784,976 times
Miami-Dade and Broward County Fl

Miami-Dade- Extreme inequality, crazy crime, rude, nasty people that have food stamp cards yet drive BMWs (Extremely pretentious, but have nothing to show),bad traffic, very few "nice" neighborhoods except the touristy ones. Has a diverse Latin culture, but not much else. English is a second language.

Broward- Down to earth people, English is a first language, but it is very ethnically diverse (has Miamis Latin diversity, but most speak English, but also has Jews, Italians, plain ol; white people, Caribbean/West Indians, African Americans, and booming Asian Indian and Chinese populations in parts of the county), large middle class, fairly safe and clean with a few bad neighborhoods, less inequality, traffic congestion not very bad at all. Just a totally different feel and mentality, and they border right on each other.

Also, I found Raleigh and Durham to have totally different character. Raleigh is more upper end, Durham more blue collar.

New York and Philadelphia!!!!!!!!!!!Nuff said.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:02 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,280,423 times
Milwaukee and Madison:

Milwaukee is a blend of the old Rust Belt and the New Economy, but the city itself is losing people while the metro is barely gaining; Madison is mostly New Economy with a wisp of the past thrown in, and the city and metro are growing. Madison's lifeblood is the public sector--the flagship university for UW and the state capitol; Milwaukee metro is more dependent on private industry. Madison is something of a bubble, with a demographic profile high in educational achievement; Milwaukee is a more porous metro, and the city has low education stats. Milwaukee is a traditional city/metro, with the crime and blight as well as internationally acclaimed culture, arts, and recreation; Madison is a college/capitol city surrounded by suburbs, and the culture and arts scene is largely generated by the university or by affiliates. There are other contrasts--many similarities, as well--but these are the most salient that come to mind.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:23 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,874,604 times
For me, UW would be a plum employer, because of the location in Madison, and the proximity to the lakeshore and industrialness of Milwaukee.
Not only could I indulge in Frank Lloyd Wright, but I could stay in touch with my Rust Belt soul.

Old 07-11-2007, 08:39 AM

793 posts, read 3,114,866 times
Manchester and Concord, NH are just 15-20 minutes apart and polar opposites. Manchester is a bar town- not really anything exciting, but still a big haven for the frat-rat crowd just out to get loaded. It also is the one place in NH that is some what crime riddled and where gang activity exists. Concord is flat-out boring- good place to raise a family in many aspects, but alot of hicks, no real culture- sorriest excuse for a state capital, as it hardly has the feel of anything urban- even by small city standards. Absolutely lifeless after dark. New Hampshire is a joy, but neither of these two cities are much to get excited about and yet still both manage to have almost nothing in common.

Old 07-11-2007, 10:03 AM

1,715 posts, read 6,959,688 times
Maybe it's just me b/c I'm from the area, but I see a big difference between Nashville and Memphis.

Memphis seems like a mix of Detroit and New Orleans w/bad accents. It's a tight, dirty, city with crooked government.

While Nashville has its problems, it seems much different than Memphis. It has large urban sprawl, somewhat cleaner, and seems somewhat more progressive. I also think a lot more money is in Davidson County as compared to Shelby county.

Both are big on music though.

Old 07-11-2007, 10:17 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,099,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in TN View Post
Maybe it's just me b/c I'm from the area, but I see a big difference between Nashville and Memphis.

Memphis seems like a mix of Detroit and New Orleans w/bad accents. It's a tight, dirty, city with crooked government.

While Nashville has its problems, it seems much different than Memphis. It has large urban sprawl, somewhat cleaner, and seems somewhat more progressive. I also think a lot more money is in Davidson County as compared to Shelby county.

Both are big on music though.
I agree. Nashville and Memphis are like night and day. Nashville is tolerable, Memphis is not. You couldnt pay me to live in Memphis. LOL

Old 07-11-2007, 12:44 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,290,556 times
Oakland and Berkeley

Old 07-11-2007, 01:06 PM

26,372 posts, read 46,204,927 times
Post KC Metro

Leawood, Kansas (KC Metro Suburb)
Pretentious People
City Motto is "Growing With Distinction"
Some neigborhood associations make sure that you water and mow the lawn in a certain manner.
High home values
An urban forest flavor with a ton of trees.
"Village like" shopping centers.
"Town Center Plaza" which pretends to immitate the Country Club Plaza in Kansas City, MO.
Sophisticated expensive architecture and design on the custom built homes on Golf Courses.

Olathe, Kansas (KC Metro Suburb)
Middle Class People
City is rapidly sprawling and taking over farmland.
Lower housing values appeal to large families.
Cookie Cutter homes everywhere.
Conservative politically.
Strip malls on every corner.
Unpretentious and unsophisticated.
Neighborhoods have few trees because many were built on corn fields.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.