Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2012, 08:56 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,752,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Yes, but it's not viewed the same as In-N-Out by you personally. While you might think In-N-Out is the most amazing thing ever and to you it totally embodies California and nothing could ever come close, what everyone else is saying is that most people don't share that point of view. It's perfectly fine to like something, but you can't just assume that just cause you're obsessed with this burger joint and think a certain way about it, that everyone else must think that as well - and if they don't than they're somehow denying their inner feelings.
I actually don't think it's anything special and I rarely eat burgers. I'm only pointing out the fascination with it having to do with it being from California. Part of the reason it was such a big deal opening up in Texas, was because of the California stereotype surrounding it. Portillos, having much better food, wouldn't get the same reception.

I would take a Portillos once-dipped hot Italian beef over any In-N-Out, or any other fast-food in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 09:04 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
In-N-Out

In-N-Out Houston Fans

It was even an April fools joke in the Houston forum. Again, no other fast food place would garner such interest.
But if you scan through the posts, about 75% of them aren't even about In-N-Out burger, most of them are people who babble about places they love in Houston, or other chains that they want to see open. None of them mention anything about California, and most of them are more "blah" about In N Out.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Sometimes I come into a thread, and feel my IQ dropped 5 points just by reading it. Who the f*** cares about In-N-Out? I mean, seriously?

On the other hand, they had to hire police to manage the traffic when the Jack-In-Box opened on the Indy-Greenwood border. That wasn't because "OMG JACK IS FROM SAN DIEGO," it was more of a "dude they had this in St Louis and it was soooooooooo good." Bad news, it is just a glorified Hardee's.

I mean, if you polled everyone who was waiting in line for 45 minutes to eat at Jack In The Box when it opened, less than half would know Jack came from California, even fewer would care.
Yeah, they opened a Chick Fil A in downtown Chicago and they had to call in police to control the lines out the door. I happened to walk by during their opening week and just shook my head. I grew up with those in Iowa and was shocked that people in Chicago would really care. Of course after a few days it died down.

Same with Krispe Kream. Back in the early 2000's people were going insane for those donuts, and now I'm not even sure if they're still around as much.

We got a Sonic's in my hometown a few years ago and the lines were backed up on the highway. A week later it was pretty empty and everyone went "well it was ok I guess".

Even an Olive Garden opening in my hometown in the 90's had waits of hours for almost a month. It was a fairly small city though, and it was one of the first chains to move in.

Lots of places get a huge rush, then it dies down and is normal after a week or month or so. I could hardly tell you where any of those places are FROM though.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:26 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times
Quote:
But if you scan through the posts, about 75% of them aren't even about In-N-Out burger, most of them are people who babble about places they love in Houston, or other chains that they want to see open. None of them mention anything about California, and most of them are more "blah" about In N Out.
Exactly. Like I said before, the only Texans who care about In-N-Out are those who are either from or have some sort of relation to California.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:41 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,409,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
In-N-Out

In-N-Out Houston Fans

It was even an April fools joke in the Houston forum. Again, no other fast food place would garner such interest.
Speaking of April Fools:
Cruelest April Fool's Joke So Far: In-N-Out Coming to NYC: Gothamist

Read the comments and tell me In-N-Out is just another food chain. As obnoxious as the OP's theory is (apologies), there's no question that INO's cult of worship is unique.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:54 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,712,998 times
Some people are acting like in and out is the only restaurant that has a cult following...... if you read message boards you can find people that go crazy over lots of restaurants.. It is not unique or speical.
The Krispy Kreme following is a perfect example with people lining up in droves to get their donuts.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:04 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,364,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Speaking of April Fools:
Cruelest April Fool's Joke So Far: In-N-Out Coming to NYC: Gothamist

Read the comments and tell me In-N-Out is just another food chain. As obnoxious as the OP's theory is (apologies), there's no question that INO's cult of worship is unique.
No argument from me that In-N-Out is a great place. For the record, they have great burgers, alright fries, meh shakes. Attributing people's love of In-N-Out because its from California, rather than its food is where I (and others on this thread) disagree.

In-N-Out coming to NYC would be nice, especially if they could keep the prices reasonable. I'd go, probably months after lines die down. I personally don't care to wait more than 30 minutes for fast food, or shake shack, trendy cupcakes and what have you.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:43 AM

Only in America are we getting up to 200 posts fighting about.....fast food

Old 05-03-2012, 10:53 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,772,612 times
For being so amazing, some of you Californians sure are insecure, considering you're constantly reassuring each other on this public forum about your awesomeness and everyone else's latent jealousy. I've never seen anyone need so much external validation, damn!

Anyway, the only other place I can think of that garners the same level of hype is Trader Joe's....also a California chain. The San Antonio and Austin TJ's thread has been blowing up for years, but if you read through the posts they consist of (1) CA transplants singing its praises, and (2) native Texans blustering on about how we don't need it Now that they've announced locations in both places it's died down.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:54 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,499,375 times
Quote:
Only in America are we getting up to 200 posts fighting about.....fast food
Exactly!

We'll continue to have our debate about fast food and whatever else, while thousands upon thousands of children will die of starvation today in the Third World.

Perhaps the good folks on City-Data could actually do something about it?
(Sponsor a Child < Home | World Vision - Child Sponsorship)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.