Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2012, 09:12 PM

814 posts, read 1,475,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Let's stay within the confines of burgers.
I think any other topic would be more logical and important than the "great" IN-N-OUT debate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 10:04 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,247,950 times
I have heard of In-N-Out but honestly never knew where they were located or even what they sell! The pictures someone posted sure do look tasty --- I do like my fast food now and then.

I guess I can see someone making the argument that somehow fast food represents southern California culture. But honestly, when I think of California I do not think of food (!), the culture or the people. When I think of California, the first thing that comes to mind is the grand scenery; the mountains going down into the Pacific, the Sierra Nevada and the Redwoods. I also think of beaches and the warm climate. And of course Hollywood!

So to the OP, I would say that you may possibly be right that is some interest in a fast food restaurant from So Cal. But honestly I think more people are interested in a place that is not available where they live (creates curosity and interest) and the food simply tastes good!

Old 05-03-2012, 10:12 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,798,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
Jimbo covered it, but it bears repeating. People don't get excited because the restaurant came from California, they get excited because it's almost exclusive to that state. It would be the same thing if it was the same restaurant but mainly only in Florida. That fact that it has so many fans for its supposedly great food and is not readily available to everyone is the draw. You have drawn a terribly deluded conclusion from whatever observations you've had of this.

We've already mentioned the same phenomena with other non-California restaurants. It's not the state of origin that's the draw except maybe for a small handful of people (never say never...) like yourself. The average person who's curious to see what the big deal is, isn't soiling them-self over the fact that eating those burgers will bring them closer to California in spirit.
Since you are from Connecticut, the idea of a steamed Cheeseburger now seems especially noteworthy. A cuisine only local to central Connecticut. If someone were able to market it properly, you'd have a winner that would blow the socks off of In N Out:
THE ORIGINAL STEAM CHEESEBURGER "BURG'R TEND'R

Old 05-03-2012, 10:37 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,519,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Since you are from Connecticut, the idea of a steamed Cheeseburger now seems especially noteworthy. A cuisine only local to central Connecticut. If someone were able to market it properly, you'd have a winner that would blow the socks off of In N Out:
THE ORIGINAL STEAM CHEESEBURGER "BURG'R TEND'R
I'm not sure I ever had one and I lived in Middletown for a while and I used to spend a lot of time in Meriden. I was young though so I didn't get to decide what I ate but it's on my list now, I love burgers.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:56 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Where Inn-N-Out is concerned, I think you are wrong. I, personally, happen to love their hamburgers (dislike their fries) but I fail to see why California in itself would be the main lure.

Krispy Kremes birthed from North Carolina, and I remember back about 10 years ago when Portlanders literally camped outside overnight awaiting the grand opening of the first store here. The store is still in business.

Popeye's, from New Orleans, has almost a cult following (with me included).

I'm very envious of California for it's various beauty and ~ to me ~ ideal climate. And it's temperate, warmer beaches. That is about it.
Very true.

I ate at a Popeyes in San Jose when I was there & it was every bit as popular as the In N Out I also had while I was there.

Cajun food in California is often times seen as a delicacy where here in the South we take it for granted.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Some people brag about where they are from. CA has the largest population. Statistically, its going to have more people who brag about where they're from. Ignoring that reality makes justification of schadenfreude even more untenable.
Largest populaton of illegal aliens & people who aren't even from there originally.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:02 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,118,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Largest populaton of illegal aliens & people who aren't even from there originally.
Thats right; California and Texas together forever!

Old 05-04-2012, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB8abovetherim View Post
I just hate Whataburger, that doesn't mean I'm making any generalization. See any or all of your posts to find an example of "making broad generalizations"
Lets have a little contest shall we?

In N Out

Year opened - 1948

Headquarters - California

Number of locations - 268

Estimated annual revenue - 465 million

Menu - limited to burgers, fries, & shakes made to order with gay "secret menu" items additional

Hours open - 10am-12am most days

Whataburger

Year opened - 1950

Headquarters - Texas

Number of locations - 700+

Estimated annual revenue - 1 Billion

Menu - breakfast, lunch, dinner made to order your way with straight forward menu items

Hours open - 24/7/365

Whataburger beats In N Out 4-1 end of story.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 05-04-2012 at 12:34 AM..

Old 05-04-2012, 12:48 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,118,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Lets have a little contest shall we?

In N Out

Year opened - 1948

Headquarters - California

Number of locations - 268

Estimated annual revenue - 465 million

Menu - limited to burgers, fries, & shakes made to order with gay "secret menu" items additional

Hours open - 10am-12am most days

Whataburger

Year opened - 1950

Headquarters - Texas

Number of locations - 700+

Estimated annual revenue - 1 Billion

Menu - breakfast, lunch, dinner made to order your way with straight forward menu items

Hours open - 24/7/365

Whataburger beats In N Out 4-1 end of story.
Those are unimportant factors youve used in your little study. The important thing is Whataburger is mediocre. While InNOut is duking it out with 5 Guys, Smashburger and other higher end burger chains.....Whataburger is competing with McDonalds & Burger KIng.....

Theres no contest here....

In N Out is privately owned and has strict quality control, (something Whataburger could stand to improve on), they are as big as they want to be, and they dont saturate their markets. They create demand for their product.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:59 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
Does Whataburger have freezers? If so then it clearly doesn't have the quality In-N-Out does. Quality>Quantity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.