Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2012, 02:07 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,752,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Usually one presents the straw man in response to a topic....but you bring it right out at the beginning.
Mentioning the straw man. Something people only do when they get mad and have no other resort.

Even I didn't expect this topic to get this controversial...all over California burgers.

If it meant nothing, there would have been very few replies. The anti-Californians have some Freudian fascination with California and simply can't help but to reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 02:17 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,111,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
it's not obvious judging by the large amount of people who had no idea where it was based.

I dont think thats true, why dont you go through every post and count for us....

Old 05-08-2012, 02:19 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,111,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
It's not that I didn't pick up on it. It's that I didn't care. Im not going there for the ambiance...Im going there for the burgers. Is it that hard to understand?

Thats all I said, was that its their thing, their image. I didnt say you went there because of it. People in Texas who fall in love with In N Out will because of the burgers, whether they care or not they will be aware of where theyre from. Its not an anonymous chain like others....

Old 05-08-2012, 02:23 PM

19 posts, read 22,580 times
To say In-N-Out's popularity has nothing to do with California culture is insane. RonnieJoez really is ABSOLUTELY right on this.

But, that was my point in the first place. California is well-known for hippie surfer culture. The northeast just happens to be known for handling business and running the world.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:55 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Mentioning the straw man. Something people only do when they get mad and have no other resort.
And what do trolls do when someone refutes their point? They twist, turn, change the subject, or just outright ignore logic and continue to spew the same tired old crap.

Have you ever admitted to being wrong?

Old 05-09-2012, 02:05 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,772,612 times
Quote:

Even I didn't expect this topic to get this controversial...all over California burgers.

If it meant nothing, there would have been very few replies. The anti-Californians have some Freudian fascination with California and simply can't help but to reply.
Mentioning your straw man fallacy isn't a last resort, it's simply pointing out a flaw in your logic. It's part of the Socratic method, which is what this sub-forum is founded on (at it's best). A last resort would be making multiple personal attacks towards you, which hasn't happened. You continue to post the same passive-aggressive, antagonistic things trying to goad people into arguing, but amazingly everyone is calmly pointing our your flawed reasoning and providing reasonable disagreement.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:48 PM

I've received several personal attacks and even some nasty private messages. Like I've said, if I said "every state wishes it was more like Ohio", no would even slightly entertain that idea or even bother replying. Would just be a bunch of "lol's".

California...everyone turns into a huge baby. Just because they know California is the "cool" place. Hollywood and everything. They claim they don't care about this, but if a movie is filmed in their respective hometown it's the most amazing thing to ever happen.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:58 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,138,742 times
Quote:
California...everyone turns into a huge baby. Just because they know California is the "cool" place. Hollywood and everything. They claim they don't care about this, but if a movie is filmed in their respective hometown it's the most amazing thing to ever happen.
See now, that's just stupid. Mostly, because you essentially are saying that the entire state of California is one huge movie set. Much more of California has nothing to do with movies or television than does. So why do you think that encompasses everything about the entire state?

Most amazing thing to ever happen? No, not amazing. Maybe interesting. It's always fun to have something really different happen around town, whatever it is.

If everyone was excited about a presidential debate to be held in town, would you say that was because they were all jealous, and wished their city/state, was like Washington DC? I doubt it.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:39 PM

Considering there's nothing sexy or glamorous about politics - I don't see why place would want to be more like DC.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:23 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times
Quote:
Considering there's nothing sexy or glamorous about politics - I don't see why place would want to be more like DC.
Sex and glamor are the only things that matter to anyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.