U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 11:44 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,264,225 times

Advertisements

What is the largest city in the US not served by a Interstate freeway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 11:49 PM

8,372 posts, read 8,440,546 times
Directly or are you counting sub or business routes.

New Orleans isnt directly on I-10 the east/west interstate.
Fresno, not technically on an interstate

Old 05-01-2012, 11:50 PM

2,055 posts, read 2,743,927 times
Jonesboro, Arkansas comes to mind first, although I doubt it's the largest. 67,263 in the city and 121,026 in the metro.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Directly or are you counting sub or business routes.

New Orleans isnt directly on I-10 the east/west interstate.
Fresno, not technically on an interstate
Directly. No business routes.

I was on the I-10 and I remember seeing the Lousiana Superdome fairly close.It's been many years since I've been down to the Big Easy (2001), but I do remember I-10 going through New Orleans. You are right, it is Fresno. Allthough I hear State Route 99 could be renumbered in the coming years as I-9. The majority of the route from the I-5 cutoff to Sacramento is complete on ramp-off ramp multi-laned.

Crazy that a city of 510,000 is not served by an Interstate.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:43 AM

9,972 posts, read 14,014,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post

I was on the I-10 and I remember seeing the Lousiana Superdome fairly close.It's been many years since I've been down to the Big Easy (2001), but I do remember I-10 going through New Orleans. You are right, it is Fresno. Allthough I hear State Route 99 could be renumbered in the coming years as I-9. The majority of the route from the I-5 cutoff to Sacramento is complete on ramp-off ramp multi-laned.

It's definitely Fresno--and there isn't even a very good connection going west to get to I-5 on the western edge of the Central Valley. You're forced to drive through country highways and rural roads through farmland and small towns to get to the Interstate. When I was a kid growing up in Santa Cruz, I always thought that Fresno was further south, and I'd forget that it's directly east of the Monterey Bay Area because it seemed so much further to get there with the roads you had to take.

Highway 99 serves as the main freeway for the San Joaquin Valley south of Manteca and Stockton all the way to Bakersfield. There's been talk in the past of sometime in the future upgrading Highway 99 to becoming Interstate 7 or Interstate 9. But at the present time, Fresno seems like the most isolated large city in California, since I-5 was built to bypass it and since there isn't a fast connecting highway from the South Bay/Silicon Valley/San Jose area or the coast. Highway 152 gets you to 99 north of Fresno fairly quick, but still for a city of about half a million people, it's strange that they've never upgrade the highway system to there.

Interstate-Guide: Interstate 9

Old 05-02-2012, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
It's definitely Fresno--and there isn't even a very good connection going west to get to I-5 on the western edge of the Central Valley. You're forced to drive through country highways and rural roads through farmland and small towns to get to the Interstate. When I was a kid growing up in Santa Cruz, I always thought that Fresno was further south, and I'd forget that it's directly east of the Monterey Bay Area because it seemed so much further to get there with the roads you had to take.

Highway 99 serves as the main freeway for the San Joaquin Valley south of Manteca and Stockton all the way to Bakersfield. There's been talk in the past of sometime in the future upgrading Highway 99 to becoming Interstate 7 or Interstate 9. But at the present time, Fresno seems like the most isolated large city in California, since I-5 was built to bypass it and since there isn't a fast connecting highway from the South Bay/Silicon Valley/San Jose area or the coast. Highway 152 gets you to 99 north of Fresno fairly quick, but still for a city of about half a million people, it's strange that they've never upgrade the highway system to there.

Interstate-Guide: Interstate 9
Great post!! There is State route 41 If memory serves correct that goes to I-5..I'm spouting off without cross checking my post with a map but I do remember a State Route that heads in a Southwesterly direction from Fresno. But you are right that there is no "Due West" highway routing to I-5. From San Francisco, I take either I-580/I-205/I-5/CA-120/CA-99 through Tracy and Manteca or I-5 to CA-152 to CA-99. Both seem to be about the same time drivewise.

As for Highway 152, it is DANGEROUS on the Gilroy side. There are too many big rigs and there is a stretch that is two way traffic with just a yellow painted line. For a major metro like the South Bay to have to transverse a high speed two way road to get to Fresno/Los Angeles/beyond that is horrible. NOTE: 101 takes too long to use for a LA run.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:00 AM

8,372 posts, read 8,440,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post

I guess you are right, they named the northern route north of New Orleans I-12, but its actually the more direct route east/west. I-10 is like a half loop that swoops down through New Orleans that you would only take if you wanted to see New Orleans.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:07 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,523,609 times
However, Fresno still has a freeway, which is more important than the question of whether it is designated as an interstate highway or not.

The largest city that is not connected by a 4-lane road to the interstate system is San Angelo, Texas, whose 92,000 people have to drive on many miles of 2-lane road in order access the interstate network.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:39 AM

11,015 posts, read 21,564,064 times
Pretty sure I-10, one of the biggest interstate in the country, goes straight through downtown New Orleans.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:02 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,523,609 times
Lexington Kentucky (300,000, now the biggest city in the state) is not "on" an interstate. The interstates pass right by, but Lexington itself is a nightmare of connecting feeders and ring roads with traffic lights, cross traffic, and incomprehensible signage, and no access roads signed as interstate business routes.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-02-2012 at 09:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or