U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 10:31 AM

70 posts, read 216,282 times

Advertisements

Hi.I am from England but i really hope to be able to go to America some day.Actually,i would love to work there,either by being a nanny or doing some modelling work .In your opinion,where are the best places to visit,or live ? I would love to go to California,Detriot,New York,and anywhere in the south.I dont know much about other places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 10:38 AM

82 posts, read 570,173 times
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Montreal, QC, Canada
Toronto, On, Canada
Philadelphia, Penn, USA
NYC, NY, USA
Portland, OR, USA
Washington, DC, USA
Boston, MA, USA
Seattle, WS, USA
...come to think of it...might be time to pick up a book or two...lonely planet still do good travel books for the USA and North America... Time to do some research, but put those high on your list....

Old 09-18-2007, 10:39 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,400,887 times
The whole country is a great place to visit, IMO. There are some areas of certain cities to avoid (as is the worldwide norm), but other than that, from the eastern most point of Maine to the western most point of Hawaii is the "best place to visit".

Old 12-16-2007, 11:24 AM

1 posts, read 6,711 times
Cool Embrace America

Don't go to Detroit, granted it has lots of history with vehicles and travel, however, its very rundown.

If you want to really experience America
1. Go to a baseball game, preferably Boston Red Sox, vs. New York Yankees at Yankee Stadium.
2. Visit Coney Island in Brooklyn make sure you get a coney dog from Nathans.
3. Travel Rt. 1 in California stopping whenever you feel like it. Suggested stops, Malibu Beach and Santa Monica Pier.
4. Don't miss the Midwest, Ride up the Arch in St. Louis, visit Indiana, suggested stop: Holiday World & Splashin Safari, in Santa Claus, IN, for the last decade its been numerously voted as the amusement park with the cleanest and friendliest staff.
5. STAY OUT OF TEXAS, JUST TRUST ME
6. Two words, Philadelphia Cheesesteak.
7. Walt Disney World/Epcot/Universal Studios Orlando, Florida

You could do all of these or just some of these. Some people would say after experiencing any one of these you could easily die happy. For me if I were to pick a place to spend the rest of my life in America, I would choose Norfolk/Newport News, Virginia. Since you are wanting to be a Nanny, I would choose fancy California cities such as, Malibu, Santa Barbara, Beverly Hills, Bel-Air (yeah I chuckled too), or Orange County.

Old 12-16-2007, 11:47 AM

2,506 posts, read 7,756,843 times
There are plenty of places to visit. See The Pacific, New England, The Mississippi, Louisiana, The South, Chicago, Route 66, Washington, et. cetera.
As for living, there are fewer good areas to do that. What would you be looking for in an area as far as living? Climate, history, economy, schools, region, a place inhabited by ...?

Old 12-16-2007, 11:51 AM

2,885 posts, read 1,511,755 times
nice jbell San Francisco also

Old 12-16-2007, 11:52 AM

5,716 posts, read 14,569,873 times
my house is nice

Old 12-16-2007, 01:15 PM

334 posts, read 1,261,066 times
Default Detroit

Yes Detroit is rundown, but if you go checkout downtown Detroit, it is nice. I wish the city would've preserved it's history more because it'd be a much better destination if they did. Also the Detroit institue of arts, which is the 2nd largest in the U.S., The henry ford museum, a sports event, fox theatre, greektown, new $800 million mgm grand, mowtown museum, to name a few. There's also a collection of 1920 era skyscrapers that are interesting. Here's some pictures from last night.
Attached Thumbnails
Where are the best places to live in or visit in America ?-concourse.jpg-.jpg   Where are the best places to live in or visit in America ?-ice-skating.jpg-b.jpg   Where are the best places to live in or visit in America ?-skyline.jpg-c.jpg   Where are the best places to live in or visit in America ?-snowy-night.jpg-d.jpg   Where are the best places to live in or visit in America ?-me-infront-chelis-chili.jpg-e.jpg  

Where are the best places to live in or visit in America ?-me-infront-restaurant.jpg-f.jpg  

Old 12-16-2007, 01:48 PM

3,340 posts, read 2,595,666 times
We have lived in several states and here are some of our favorite things to do in each...
FL- St. Augustine, historical and not as touristy as central FL

CT- Take the ferry to Block Island, check out the submarine base, spend a day in Mystic

RI- The cliff walk is a must see, beautiful homes and the downtown Newport area is fun to walk around and window shop. Eat at the Brick Alley Pub.

WA- ride the ferry- from Seattle head to Poulsbo. It is a small town with a Scandinavian feel. If staying in Seattle, Pike's Place Market, of course!

LA- Audubon Park and zoo in New Orleans, Jazz Fest, see a Mardi Gras parade(avoid the French Quarter during this time, but stick to the family friendly garden district. Grab some Popeyes chicken and a king cake and catch some beads-no flashing needed)

CA- Lots to choose from... we lived in Monterey, so loved the aquarium, walking/biking along the path to Pacific Grove, taking the dog to play at the very dog friendly Carmel Beach(BEAUTIFUL), hiking at Garland Ranch and day trips to San Fran.

VA- we lived in Va. Beach so loved to bike the trail from our house to the boardwalk and back. If you are lucky you can head to Sandbridge beach and catch a glimpse of the wild horses early in the a.m. Geocaching is extremely popular there and something we enjoyed doing. The Outer Banks of NC including Oregon Inlet was a favorite day trip for us. Pack a cooler in the 4X4 and do some off roadin' on the beach.

ME- Popham Beach in summer and the Foreside Rd. sled hill in Topsham during winter.

This is a very diverse country with tons to do and see besides the obvious choices of the Grand Canyon, NYC, DC, etc. We have been to those as well and enjoyed them, but thought I would add some of the perhaps lesser known attractions/activities.
Hope this helps!

Old 12-16-2007, 02:08 PM

2,775 posts, read 10,720,995 times
Detroit is cool. Run down in many parts, but it has plenty to do. It’s not like it’s Camden where it’s just a residential ghetto, it actually has commercialization, clubs, restaurants, sports, etc. Detroit actually has *gasp* intact buildings, believe it or not…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or