Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 01:21 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,210,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
All jokes aside, you need to go a GO-GO. It's similar to a belly rub at them Caribbean joints.
Lol True.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 02:45 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUSTENGO View Post
Pimp c lived from about 2 years old till he was 12 in Lafayette, LA with his grandmother and even as a teen and adult he spent a lot of time there. I've seen him talk about it in interveiws and he shouted out LA many times thruout his whole career. The only place he shouted out more in songs than LA was TX he dropped a couple of LA lines every album throughout his entire career. Fun fact bun b also spent his childhood an teen summers in LA growing up. They both came of age an spent most of there time in tx but both come from families that have deep roots in LA and spent a lot of time there and in pimp cs case he spent a third of his life growing up there. That's why his accent is different from other tx rappers an so thick. That's why his label he made was made up of mostly LA artists, that's why when you hear him rap his voice an flow really resembles LA rappers more than TX ones, his subject matter and slang was pure tx though, that's what made his swag so fly an his style so unique.
Pimp is from Texas and it's the state that he has always claimed. He sounded just like many folks in Southeast Texas do. Not sure who told you otherwise.

This is why I get so tired of rappers being brought up to showcase what a city or region's accent is, because none of these dudes sound the same. It literally makes no sense to claim that he sounded more like Lafayette than Port Arthur.

Old 12-29-2013, 03:06 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Pimp is from Texas and it's the state that he has always claimed. He sounded just like many folks in Southeast Texas do. Not sure who told you otherwise.

This is why I get so tired of rappers being brought up to showcase what a city or region's accent is, because none of these dudes sound the same. It literally makes no sense to claim that he sounded more like Lafayette than Port Arthur.
He spent some time in Crowley, outside of Lafayette, when he was younger. He certainty has a strong connection with Louisiana and has shouted it out.

Pimp C does showcase the area's accents pretty well, PA has Cajun influence and that shows in his voice. Bun is much more of a Houston sounding accent, which Beaumont is known for as well. It doesn't make much sense to say he sounded more like Lafayette than Port Arthur but I'd say there's nothing wrong with someone saying he sounds more Louisiana than Texas (more importantly Houston since UGK is synonymous with Houston today).

Old 12-29-2013, 03:45 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUSTENGO View Post
Pimp c lived from about 2 years old till he was 12 in Lafayette, LA with his grandmother and even as a teen and adult he spent a lot of time there. I've seen him talk about it in interveiws and he shouted out LA many times thruout his whole career. The only place he shouted out more in songs than LA was TX he dropped a couple of LA lines every album throughout his entire career. Fun fact bun b also spent his childhood an teen summers in LA growing up. They both came of age an spent most of there time in tx but both come from families that have deep roots in LA and spent a lot of time there and in pimp cs case he spent a third of his life growing up there. That's why his accent is different from other tx rappers an so thick. That's why his label he made was made up of mostly LA artists, that's why when you hear him rap his voice an flow really resembles LA rappers more than TX ones, his subject matter and slang was pure tx though, that's what made his swag so fly an his style so unique.
Their slang and subject matter was Texas because they were from Texas. They reppped Texas FAR FAR FAR more than Louisiana. Port Arthur is only a skip and a hop from Louisiana.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:19 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,318,192 times
I used to live in D.C (Northwest), Atlanta (Lithonia) and Pittsburgh (Hill Dst) and I understand the comparision that are being made. From a completely neutral aspect I understand the dynamics of D.C both positive (alot of thing to do for everyone taste)and the negative (lack of personal space, congestion at rush hour) and Atlanta (laid back) positive and the negative (Mario Cart I 285) and the plus and minuses are what you are either accustom to or what you enjoy having.

Even Pittsburgh is called "country" by their eastern rival Philly (filthydelphia as what we call it) and has more in common with some southern cities similiar in size. The whole comparision thing is really about having pride in where you live. I loved living in Atlanta for it's diversity and history but I could not stand the air quality, but yet hundreds if not thousands of northerners relocate there yearly. There are so many from Pittsburgh that they have their own Steeler Nation clubs al over there.

D.C (I really miss the GO-GO scene) has alot of diversity and opportunity for employment, but trying to compare such a geographically small area to most of the south is unfair considering at any given time you can cross a street and be in either Maryland or Virginia. Unfortunately you do have to have the money to really "do-it-big" in D.C which is not the case in most southern cities. I just look at it as a matter of taste

In my honest opinion places like Alabama has had the reputation of being so backwards for so long that there are people in D.C (my cousins do this often) refer to slow or backwards people as being "Bamas". For the most part if you would ask the average black person who lives in the North and never traveled to the south which states would they avoid I bet the majority of them would say either Alabama or Mississippi and I'm guessing that is because of the racial history and some of the backwoods people that represent them

Old 12-29-2013, 04:31 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
He spent some time in Crowley, outside of Lafayette, when he was younger. He certainty has a strong connection with Louisiana and has shouted it out.

Pimp C does showcase the area's accents pretty well, PA has Cajun influence and that shows in his voice. Bun is much more of a Houston sounding accent, which Beaumont is known for as well. It doesn't make much sense to say he sounded more like Lafayette than Port Arthur but I'd say there's nothing wrong with someone saying he sounds more Louisiana than Texas (more importantly Houston since UGK is synonymous with Houston today).
Except it would be false, and I should know that, being that I'm the one whose family is based in SE Texas. Again, both members have the same accents that can be heard in both the Golden Triangle and Houston, and, no, it is not necessarily from any Cajun/Louisiana influence, as people from other Deep South states settled these areas also. So, yes, he does sound more Texan than Louisianan. That's what I know.

Bun B's accent comes from wherever he's from, which is Port Arthur.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:37 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Except it would be false, and I should know that, being that I'm the one whose family is based in SE Texas. Again, both members have the same accents that can be heard in both the Golden Triangle and Houston, and, no, it is not necessarily from any Cajun/Louisiana influence, as people from other Deep South states settled these areas also. So, yes, he does sound more Texan than Louisianan. That's what I know.

Bun B's accent comes from wherever he's from, which is Port Arthur.
Ok man. It's an opinion.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:39 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
They do but the vast majority of Blacks in PG County are native to the the metropolitan area. In fact, many of the transplant Blacks are either headed to DC itself or NOVA over PG.
Where do you get your facts from?

http://www.census.gov/population/www...0056/tab35.pdf

Do you see that the state of Maryland had a more than 100% increase in its black population between 1960 and 1990? What do you think accounted for that growth? And no, blacks leaving DC for PG County did not account for the 600,000 person increase during that time period.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:46 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Where do you get your facts from?

http://www.census.gov/population/www...0056/tab35.pdf

Do you see that the state of Maryland had a more than 100% increase in its black population between 1960 and 1990? What do you think accounted for that growth? And no, blacks leaving DC for PG County did not account for the 600,000 person increase during that time period.
Please reread and comprehend that comment again and then read it in context to what I was replying to when I made this comment before you jump out at me without proper understanding. I appreciate it.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:52 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Please reread and comprehend that comment again and then read it in context to what I was replying to when I made this comment before you jump out at me without proper understanding. I appreciate it.
I saw exactly what you wrote. And then I asked you where you got your facts from. Sooo...where do your "facts" come from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.