U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 04:59 PM

7,653 posts, read 15,355,930 times

Advertisements

What are some uniquely or almost uniquely American "good things" that you have not seen / experienced much elsewhere? They can either be small or significant things.

To start it off: selection in convenience stores / gas stations. The U.S. seems to rival all others in this department. Especially in pop selection. What in the U.S. would be a mediocre selection of soft drinks rivals that of Mexican, Spanish, and Moroccan convenience stores. Heck, the selection of soft drinks found in most gas stations across the U.S. rivals that of most of the supermarkets / hypermarkets in these countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 06:02 PM

719 posts, read 1,313,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
What are some uniquely or almost uniquely American "good things" that you have not seen / experienced much elsewhere? They can either be small or significant things.

To start it off: selection in convenience stores / gas stations. The U.S. seems to rival all others in this department. Especially in pop selection. What in the U.S. would be a mediocre selection of soft drinks rivals that of Mexican, Spanish, and Moroccan convenience stores. Heck, the selection of soft drinks found in most gas stations across the U.S. rivals that of most of the supermarkets / hypermarkets in these countries.
Well for one thing, compared to Mexico, I like the fact that in the US we don't have military troops walking the beaches with M-16's

Old 05-03-2012, 07:31 PM

238 posts, read 254,781 times
I like the fact that the average, middle-class American can afford a decent home on a sizable piece of land in a quiet neighborhood.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:44 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,572,598 times
The Los Angeles Lakers

Old 05-04-2012, 12:08 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,346,398 times
it's very cheap to live in the USA, probably cheaper than most other countries, because Americans throw away so much good, useful stuff, that you never need to buy anything new. All the clothing and furniture and appliances you could ever need are readily available at yard sales and thrift shops or set out on the curb free. There is no need to pay more than a couple hundred dollars to furnish an apartment, and another hundred for a complete wardrobe of clothes.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:23 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,521,293 times
As an Australian who has lived in the UK and now lives in the United States, I've got to put forward the following:

AFFORDABILITY! Houses, Cars, Even Gas (despite the fact that you all keep whining about prices going up!) are all MUCH cheaper when you compare it to Australia or the UK. For instance, my husband and I plan on buying a house this year with cash, totally mortgage and debt free. There is no way we'd be able to pull that off in Australia, or in most of the UK, on the modest incomes we earn.

The People I've traveled the world, so I do know what I'm talking about. Americans are wonderful. For the most part, Americans are super friendly, helpful and considerate. It's usually the exception, not the rule, when a random gentleman opens a door for a woman in Australia, whereas in the U.S. it's definitely 'the rule'. American table manners may not be the greatest (sorry!), but Americans are definitely polite and courteous in so many other ways. Love it!

Patriotism I know this doesn't go for everybody, but even when I was a child on vacations to the U.S. I noticed that there was a far greater sense of patriotism over here than I ever experienced at home in Australia. Most people seem to genuinely care about the U.S., and are proud to be Americans. Back home, that kind of spirit usually only comes out on Australia day or when Australia is playing England or New Zealand in some kind of sporting match.

The Country Itself It's got oceans, amazing beaches, incredible mountains, deserts, forests, and outstanding cities. Basically every kind of environment or topography a person could wish for, is right here in the U.S.A. It's BEAUTIFUL

Old 05-04-2012, 12:53 PM

32,392 posts, read 55,232,782 times
I like US media outlets and pop culture the best. There are plenty of other things I like of course but this is the first thing to pop into my mind.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:10 AM

32,119 posts, read 33,037,268 times
Convenience meaning that in the USA everything is made so people can do things easily, affordably and in the least time consuming matter.
Also the variety of things that one try or do in their spare time is far largest than most other places in the world.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:54 PM

110 posts, read 248,575 times
The cultural and national solidarity that exists over such a large and diverse swath of land. The US land area is huge, and in most areas of the world, a land mass that size would be broken up in to several different nations, cultures, religions and language regions. Look at Europe, Africa, parts of Asian and even South America.

For 150 years, hundreds of millions of people across 50 states have not only accepted rule of the United States, but cherished it. Today, there are 300 million Americans. We're made up of different cultures, religions, ethnic backgrounds, races, and political ideologies but through it all we are connected as Americans. To me that's amazing.

Old 05-05-2012, 02:01 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,521,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cope1989 View Post
The cultural and national solidarity that exists over such a large and diverse swath of land. The US land area is huge, and in most areas of the world, a land mass that size would be broken up in to several different nations, cultures, religions and language regions. Look at Europe, Africa, parts of Asian and even South America.

For 150 years, hundreds of millions of people across 50 states have not only accepted rule of the United States, but cherished it. Today, there are 300 million Americans. We're made up of different cultures, religions, ethnic backgrounds, races, and political ideologies but through it all we are connected as Americans. To me that's amazing.
Very well said, I couldn't agree more
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or