Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 03:58 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Less than Orlando, too! This amazes me.
In no way is Orlando more congested than Chicago. Cmon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 06:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Does anyone have any idea what their criteria were?

Old 09-18-2007, 06:21 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,395,129 times
I can guarantee you that St. Louis and Cleveland and Indianapolis with the total volumes of traffic passing through their areas would make among the most congested cities were their interstate highway systems not designed the way they were. I-70, I-64, I-44, and I-55 all bring VOLUMES of traffic into the St. Louis area. Same thing goes for I-65, I-69, I-70, and I-74 in Indiana. St. Louis and Indianapolis in particular because of the way the roads form a big "X" in their metro areas get lots of traffic condition. Indy was smart enough to not allow I-74 to go through downtown. St. Louis on the other hand chose to have four interstate highways converge at one point downtown. Luckily it is not as big of a problem because St. Louis provides relief for the Poplar Street Bridge by encouraging traffic to use I-270 or I-255 to cross into Illinois. Indy's I-465 forms a nice bypass too. I-57 also takes significant traffic relief off I-55 going from Chicago to Memphis, and I-76 does the same for Cleveland for I-71 traffic wishing to get to I-80 in Youngstown. Cleveland has I-90, I-80, I-77, and I-71, and then it has I-490, I-480 and I-271 which provide relieve through the downtown areas. THese cities without their great designed route system effectively allow traffic to move smoothly through their areas. My prediction is St. Louis with the reconstruction of I-64 in Missouri will become far less congested...they've already freed TONS of congestion on I-64 in the Illinois side. And once they relocate I-70 north of the MLK bridge, traffic will flow even smoother. Cities IMO need to adopt St. Louis' method of the interstate highway designs in their cities. St. Louis essentially has efficient bypass routes of downtown for through traffic so that the only traffic going through downtown is headed to downtown or to switch interstate highways. (example I-70E to I-64E, I-70W to I-44W, I-64W to I-70W, etc. Why other cities don't do this I have no clue. It is crazy to force through traffic to head through a city's downtown area. Efficient bypass routes allow the city to increase its land area to a great degree. Without the interstate highway system ST. Louis has, it would be in the top ten congested cities in the U.S., possibly in the top five. Overall, I would say the interstate highway system it has makes it one of the most desirable cities to travel through. Even taking the two-digit interstate routes instead of the bypass ones through downtown is very fast, even if some of the bypass ones may be a few miles shorter. I am relatively surprised Kansas City isn't among the more congested areas.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:59 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,583,545 times
"It is crazy to force through traffic to head through a city's downtown area." I agree. The 35W bridge over the Mississippi that collapsed in Minneapolis last month is an example of this. Why should newsprint from Canadian paper mills bound for Dallas or frozen pizzas from Duluth bound for KC come through downtown Minneapolis? Someone was asleep at the switch when they designed the routes of 35W and 35E (thru downtown St Paul) through the Twin Cities area.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:42 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
"It is crazy to force through traffic to head through a city's downtown area." I agree. The 35W bridge over the Mississippi that collapsed in Minneapolis last month is an example of this. Why should newsprint from Canadian paper mills bound for Dallas or frozen pizzas from Duluth bound for KC come through downtown Minneapolis? Someone was asleep at the switch when they designed the routes of 35W and 35E (thru downtown St Paul) through the Twin Cities area.
I would certainly agree with that, having driven it a few times. Yikes! Someone ought to teach those Minnesotans to slow down a little bit, too.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:05 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,395,129 times
I need to make one correction to what I wrote above.

"THese cities without their great designed route system could not effectively allow traffic to move smoothly through their areas."

Old 09-18-2007, 10:10 PM

115 posts, read 481,516 times
Spokane is on the least congested list, but people drive so slow that you're bound to get hung up behind someone. Slowest drivers I've ever seen.

Old 09-18-2007, 10:40 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,451,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
It's one of the rules of the Interstate Highway System--mainline routes must go through the city centre. This is what makes the Interstates different from the Autobahns that inspired Eisenhower.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:53 PM

234 posts, read 1,158,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
From Wikipedia:
-Colorado Springs has the worst traffic congestion for a city its size. I can vouch for this.
My nominees:
-Needless to say Manhattan is no walk in the park.
-Denver was totally miserable before the TREX project was completed.
-Boston, ugh.
-Seattle get's a vote.
-Bay Area
-LA
u cant vouch for $hit. go to LA. LA is knownnnnnnn for the worst traffic in the world.

Old 09-19-2007, 12:20 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,349,098 times
The abundance of bridges (and thus toll plazas) factors heavily into the Bay Area stats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.