Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2012, 02:59 AM

3 posts, read 4,250 times

Advertisements

interesting to see the population of the U.S cities..im from Melbourne...pop about 4 million....now this city has no where near the population of L.A ...but according to your data..Melbourne is bigger...i think you can be misleading people in recording your city populations...i think it would be more beneficial to list the biggest cities according to their greater metropolitan areas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 02:56 PM

654 posts, read 1,901,931 times
I think it is best to offer both city and metro populations. People can then find the info most important to them.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:28 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,544,513 times
It seems kinda weird. In Austrailia, the parts that make up a metro is what most Americans would probably consider neighborhoods of a larger city rather than suburbs as Australians would call them. A lot of it has to do with political divisions it seems.

Los Angeles metro is near 15,000,000 people over 2,500 square miles.

Los Angeles proper is around 4,000,000 over 468 square miles.

Melbourne (metro) is around 4,000,000 over 4,000 square miles.

The City of Melbourne is 93,000 over 14 square miles.

I think it's more of just how the two countries differently define what a city is (and the varying powers of the respective local city governments).

Old 05-05-2012, 05:31 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,935,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reg parsons View Post
interesting to see the population of the U.S cities..im from Melbourne...pop about 4 million....now this city has no where near the population of L.A ...but according to your data..Melbourne is bigger...i think you can be misleading people in recording your city populations...i think it would be more beneficial to list the biggest cities according to their greater metropolitan areas
Apparently Australia combines city proper pop and Metro pop as the same? I was gonna post and say City Proper Melbourne has more people than LA but it says that that 4 million is Metro. So, I'm confused lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.