Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 02:54 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,193,363 times
From Colorado:

Wyoming: Cowboys, bears, Yellowstone Park
Nebraska: Corn, hicks, football
Kansas: Wheat, hicks
Oklahoma: Such a small border we don't think about it much
New Mexico: Much more southwestern than CO
Utah: Mormons, mountains, skiing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 04:14 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,264,830 times
Tennessee touches 8 states, so it's hard to pin a general attitude about each of them. I would say it varies depending on what region of the state you are in. For instance, if you are in the Memphis area, you're going to have stronger opinions due to more interaction with folks from Mississippi and Arkansas than say, someone from the Tri Cities (NE Tennessee) area. Likewise, those from the Tri Cities are going to have stronger opinions about those from Virginia and North Carolina than most folks from Memphis.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:12 PM

14,169 posts, read 22,587,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Kentucky view..

Ohio: pure hatred. In your face rudeness and arrogance will be experienced by any Kentuckian in OH. They hate us and we hate them. We wish they would take the three KY counties across from Cincinnati with them. They are filled with yankees who have nothing in common with the rest of the state.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCentralNEGuy View Post
Why do Ohioans hate so many of their neighbors? A previous poster commented on the pure hatred between Ohio and Michigan and now we are hearing about hatred between Ohio and Kentucky. Is it sports, economics??
Eastern Ohio fancies itself as superior to western Pennsylvania as well.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:57 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,049,021 times
Texas:

New Mexico: Depends where you live. NM really doesn't mark on anyone's radar east of 35. West Texas itself is another state for those of us in Central/Eastern Texas.

Oklahoma: We know it's there, but we don't care.

Arkansas: Same as OK.

Louisiana: Party, gamble, boost up there economy and than get the hell back to Texas.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:40 AM

14,636 posts, read 14,505,817 times
The Ohio animosity towards Michigan has to do with the UM/OSU rivalry. Personally Michigan is my favorite border state, but then again I'm not from here. The Cincinnati area has a kinship with Kentucky, but the rest of us hate it....mainly because most of the worst citizens here (i.e. ignorant rednecks) have KY roots. Indiana is kind of a more boring version of Ohio (if that's possible), and other than the Steelers, I don't think Ohioans care about Pennsylvania one way or the other.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:44 AM

14,636 posts, read 14,505,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Oregon-Vacation
Nevada-Gambling
Arizona-retirement
As a NorCal dude you should know just as many of us go to Tahoe as Vegas/Reno. Nevada = slopes. And Arizona is full of reactionaries who think Phoenix is their "L.A."....please!

Old 05-13-2012, 05:26 AM

2,363 posts, read 5,176,992 times
Well we don't really have neighboring states except Georgia and Alabama is in another time zone so I'll just break the state up.

I live in Central Florida so...

Georgia - Neutral to Positive. Don't really care too much about GA. Most view it as a great place to raise a family, live, get a better job make more money. Others, well don't care cause we are Florida Gators fans and cant stand the GA Bulldogs. GA is just a cousin who you never keep in contact with. Just a friendship.

Alabama - Neutral - Redneck, country, and football. Again too far away from here to even care though. Another time zone and Birmingham is just too far. We like Mobile as a a pass through when traveling I-10. Alabama is that one cousin who exists, you just don't know it yet. No relationship really.

South Florida - Neutral to negative. Full of ****, but beautiful, with beautiful people, extravagant tropical getaway. Some would love to live in Miami, some wouldn't. Viewed as more of the region to learn their mistakes and not make the same as Central Florida grows.We don't like the Miami Heat. Media tends to interact with each other. Miami is like that one uncle who always has something to say about everybody and if not done his way everybody else was wrong. Not a bad relationship though.

Tampa Bay - Positive. Tampa Bay is like our cousin.Tampa and Orlando are less than 100 miles and less than an hour apart. Interesting to see how the two regions collide as they continue to rapidly grow and expand. Never have any issues with Tampa. It's like a family region to us. If somebody ****s with Tampa, they **** with Orlando too. If your A Tampa Bay Sports Fan, you don't like any of Miami's sports teams. Some people like both. Share media markets with Orlando interactively. Tampa Bay is a sister who loves you and you love them. Great relationship.

Jacksonville Area - Neutral to negative. Just Jacksonville. Typically don't like or dislike The Ville. Just exists in our state. Jacksonville is like that one child who is socially disconnected with everyone around them, yet they are always ok. More associated with GA or just by their selves. No real relationship.

Panhandle - Neutral to negative. Ahhh State Trooper Heaven! It's so country and backwards around here. Plus this is where our state decisions are made. Beautiful beaches though. No relationship, Panhandle is like that friend who you can count on, but don't associate much with.

Last edited by IAm_FloridaBorn; 05-13-2012 at 05:53 AM..

Old 05-13-2012, 11:21 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,342,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
The Ohio animosity towards Michigan has to do with the UM/OSU rivalry. Personally Michigan is my favorite border state, but then again I'm not from here. The Cincinnati area has a kinship with Kentucky, but the rest of us hate it....mainly because most of the worst citizens here (i.e. ignorant rednecks) have KY roots. Indiana is kind of a more boring version of Ohio (if that's possible), and other than the Steelers, I don't think Ohioans care about Pennsylvania one way or the other.
It's interesting that most Ohioans hate Cincinnati because it is viewed as too similar to Kentucky when Kentuckians hate Cincinnati because it is viewed as being full of arrogant yankees. The 3 KY counties across from Cincinnati aren't even viewed as really being part of KY culturally, let alone the OH side.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:45 PM

8,772 posts, read 10,174,111 times
For those of us on the NC side of "Metrolina", SC is the place to go to get stuff for cheap, and to go to the beaches.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:46 PM

37,795 posts, read 41,505,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
Jacksonville Area - Neutral to negative. Just Jacksonville. Typically don't like or dislike The Ville. Just exists in our state. Jacksonville is like that one child who is socially disconnected with everyone around them, yet they are always ok. More associated with GA or just by their selves. No real relationship.
And that's interesting as Jacksonville is the oldest big city and business center in the state. Once the boom hit south and central Florida, it was pretty much forgotten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.