U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-07-2012, 07:27 PM
 
Location: West Lafayette, Indiana
50 posts, read 55,941 times
Reputation: 56

Advertisements

West Lafayette, Indiana
North
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-07-2012, 07:30 PM
 
Location: South Central Nebraska
350 posts, read 341,804 times
Reputation: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I wouldn't.

It is more Midwestern.

I think you are confusing Southern with Appalachain, which is its own think. Charleston is very similar to Pittsburgh.
How is it Midwestern? There are no corn fields or farming. WV doesn't look Midwestern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2012, 07:42 PM
 
Location: Tysons Corner, VA by way of TEXAS
727 posts, read 491,306 times
Reputation: 814
Arlington, VA
South
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2012, 07:42 PM
 
Location: Clendenin, WV
3,660 posts, read 3,202,590 times
Reputation: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCentralNEGuy View Post
How is it Midwestern? There are no corn fields or farming. WV doesn't look Midwestern.
I didn't saw WV looked Midwestern, I said Charleston did.

Charleston, Huntington, and Parkersburg, and everything west of I-77 and north of I-64, is like the Midwest. The hills here are not at steep so it creates good farming land. The factories here are very Midwestern, and the architecture is too. If you drove Old US 35 along the Kanawha River, you'd think you were in Indiana or Ohio with the type number of farms and large amounts of flat land.

Farm
Google Maps

Charleston industry
Google Maps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2012, 08:53 PM
 
Location: South Central Nebraska
350 posts, read 341,804 times
Reputation: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I didn't saw WV looked Midwestern, I said Charleston did.

Charleston, Huntington, and Parkersburg, and everything west of I-77 and north of I-64, is like the Midwest. The hills here are not at steep so it creates good farming land. The factories here are very Midwestern, and the architecture is too. If you drove Old US 35 along the Kanawha River, you'd think you were in Indiana or Ohio with the type number of farms and large amounts of flat land.

Farm
Google Maps

Charleston industry
Google Maps
Hmm interesting that farm did look Midwestern! Do they serve sweet tea in northwest WV? What kind of ethnic heritage do people have from that area of the state? (More Scotch-Irish or more German?) Do people consider themselves to be culturally Midwestern or culturally Southern? Some parts of states might surprise people in that they share more with another region than someone would think if they heard only the state name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2012, 08:58 PM
 
Location: The City
19,253 posts, read 16,425,284 times
Reputation: 5704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I didn't saw WV looked Midwestern, I said Charleston did.

Charleston, Huntington, and Parkersburg, and everything west of I-77 and north of I-64, is like the Midwest. The hills here are not at steep so it creates good farming land. The factories here are very Midwestern, and the architecture is too. If you drove Old US 35 along the Kanawha River, you'd think you were in Indiana or Ohio with the type number of farms and large amounts of flat land.

Farm
Google Maps

Charleston industry
Google Maps

Maybe Pakersburg is flat but Mineral Wells sure isnt; and that is west of 77, barely
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2012, 06:07 AM
 
Location: Clendenin, WV
3,660 posts, read 3,202,590 times
Reputation: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCentralNEGuy View Post
Hmm interesting that farm did look Midwestern! Do they serve sweet tea in northwest WV? What kind of ethnic heritage do people have from that area of the state? (More Scotch-Irish or more German?) Do people consider themselves to be culturally Midwestern or culturally Southern? Some parts of states might surprise people in that they share more with another region than someone would think if they heard only the state name.
Sweet Tea is accepted in all of WV. but of course Sweet Tea isn't limited to the South anymore. There is alot of every ethnic group because of the coal mines. You have to remember that WV was packed with workers that brought cultural traditions and lifestyles with them. Italian, Scottish, German, and many from Eastern Europe. I'd say that if you asked people here they would claim to be Appalachain, but as I said only the Western edge I'd consider Midwestern. Alot of the Eastern Panhandle is more Mid Atlantic, with the rest of the state pure Appalachain. Although do note that Northern and southern WV are dividing line between Northern and Southern Appalahain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2012, 06:10 AM
 
Location: Clendenin, WV
3,660 posts, read 3,202,590 times
Reputation: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Maybe Pakersburg is flat but Mineral Wells sure isnt; and that is west of 77, barely
I didn't say that there were no hills, but that they weren't steep. This part of WV is nothing like Southern or Eastern WV as far as terrain goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2012, 11:49 AM
 
Location: Paris, France
302 posts, read 463,495 times
Reputation: 160
I'm from South Carolina.
I'm from the South. (First to secede from the Union!)'

Anything above NC I don't really call southern. My time spent and both VA and Maryland on numerous occasions make me call those yankee states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2012, 03:11 PM
 
Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,713 posts, read 2,206,166 times
Reputation: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I wouldn't.

It is more Midwestern.

I think you are confusing Southern with Appalachain, which is its own think. Charleston is very similar to Pittsburgh.
Culturally and in terms of dialect, it is not similar at all. It's definitely not the Midwest...nothing Appalachian is what I'd call the Midwest...it's either the southeast or northeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:19 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top