Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 11:03 PM

736 posts, read 521,414 times

Advertisements

Sullivan Missouri
I'd personally upper south, but others will have their own opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 12:18 AM

22 posts, read 17,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.A.P View Post
Sullivan Missouri
I'd personally upper south, but others will have their own opinions.

It's in the transition zone, a blend of midwest, and the south. So I wouldn't called it the south, as also it's not fully midwestern also as being transitional. I guess the uppersouth however can have midwestern areas like northern KY that are not fully southern. Especially around covington in far northern KY.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:18 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,065,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertFoxFan View Post
It's in the transition zone, a blend of midwest, and the south. So I wouldn't called it the south, as also it's not fully midwestern also as being transitional. I guess the uppersouth however can have midwestern areas like northern KY that are not fully southern. Especially around covington in far northern KY.
I wouldn't really consider that portion of Northern Kentucky to be the "upper south"...I'd consider it to be a transition zone. I certainly wouldn't call Sullivan part of the upper south though. Definitely transition.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:19 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,065,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertFoxFan View Post
Arnold I would just say is hoosierish. I'm not using that as an insult but it's like a lower income area. Then you go further south in I55 to Imperial and it's newer, bigger homes, more money ect.

I won't deny the southern parts of Jeffco like Desoto, Hillsboro on south it does start to pickup a ozark feel and St. Louis has less of an influence than it does on northern jefferson county. But once you get into St. Francois county you feel the transition zone.

Easter MO is so odd because if you go due east into Ste Gen county the midwest feel comesback strongly, then the change is very sudden in Cape county like KSHE said.
An ozark feel isn't the same as a southern feel though. The Ozarks are both their own region and a blend of midwest and south. The southern Ozarks are a sharp contrast to the Northern Ozarks.

Old 07-22-2012, 03:57 PM

22 posts, read 17,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
An ozark feel isn't the same as a southern feel though. The Ozarks are both their own region and a blend of midwest and south. The southern Ozarks are a sharp contrast to the Northern Ozarks.
In the ozarks ares about 15 miles north of hwy 60 on south into arkansas seem the same to me. Not Midwestern. Table rock does not feel Midwestern.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:19 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,659,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Exactly. You can find communities all the way up to Rolla that are more southern culturally than midwestern, but it definitely isn't the rule until you are south of 60. On the money as always stlouisian.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:40 PM

581 posts, read 962,535 times
I have a lot of family in and around Covington, i've never heard it called anything but Midwestern.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:50 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,659,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
I have a lot of family in and around Covington, i've never heard it called anything but Midwestern.
I don't have any experience with the area, but it sure is a long way north for someone to call it southern.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:34 PM

26,375 posts, read 46,246,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
I don't have any experience with the area, but it sure is a long way north for someone to call it southern.
Covington is further north in latitude than St. Louis and similar in latitude to Kansas City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.