Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 02:12 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,097,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oogax3Girl View Post
I'm from South Carolina.
I'm from the South. (First to secede from the Union!)'

Anything above NC I don't really call southern. My time spent and both VA and Maryland on numerous occasions make me call those yankee states.
Virginia isn't deep south southern, but it's still the south. Maryland I agree is not southern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 02:15 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
I live in Silver Springs, FL.
South.

I am from Sainte Genevieve, MO.
Midwest all the way.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCentralNEGuy View Post
How is it Midwestern? There are no corn fields or farming. WV doesn't look Midwestern.
While i agree that's often the stereotype of the Midwest, the Midwest has its mountainous regions...the Ozarks and the Porcupines for starters. In any case, West Virginia's primary reason for not being the Midwest is its culture, cuisine, and dialect...West Virginia has the most in common with Kentucky with Virginia.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:34 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
In Kentucky - along I-75 - the first bonafide Southern town is Georgetown. I'd call from north of Gtown to Crittenden a buffer zone with a mix of Southern and Midwestern. Rural northern KY in general doesn't feel Southern to me. I grew up 30 miles from the TN line and have family in Owen Co and the people are much quieter, less friendly, more standoffish up there. The Cincinnati suburbs (Boone, Kenton, Campbell Cos) are defiantly Midwestern. The natives up there talk like people from Michigan

Old 05-09-2012, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
In Kentucky - along I-75 - the first bonafide Southern town is Georgetown. I'd call from north of Gtown to Crittenden a buffer zone with a mix of Southern and Midwestern. Rural northern KY in general doesn't feel Southern to me. I grew up 30 miles from the TN line and have family in Owen Co and the people are much quieter, less friendly, more standoffish up there. The Cincinnati suburbs (Boone, Kenton, Campbell Cos) are defiantly Midwestern. The natives up there talk like people from Michigan
I would say that's pretty accurate. Louisville and Lexington, while near the end of the south, are still southern.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:45 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
I would say that's pretty accurate. Louisville and Lexington, while near the end of the south, are still southern.
The East End of Louisville has some Midwestern feel to it. It is more a German Catholic based culture. But the Southern and South West parts of Louisville feel very Southern to me, only marginally less Southern than areas along the TN border. You hear a lot of Southern drawls not just in Louisville but in the adjacent counties in Indiana. Many people also have no noticable accent (the neutral American accent) The only Southern drawls you hear in Northern KY is from people who moved there from somewhere else

Old 05-09-2012, 06:49 AM

Quote:
The East End of Louisville has some Midwestern feel to it. It is more a German Catholic based culture. But the Southern and South West parts of Louisville feel very Southern to me, only marginally less Southern than areas along the TN border. You hear a lot of Southern drawls not just in Louisville but in the adjacent counties in Indiana. Many people also have no noticable accent (the neutral American accent) The only Southern drawls you hear in Northern KY is from people who moved there from somewhere else
Um, what?
Are you speaking of St Matts or Butchertown?

Old 05-09-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Louisville is a Southern city.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Louisville is a Southern city.
Exactly.
There are no Midwestern sections to Louisville.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:35 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Indianapolis, Indiana

MIDWEST

north/south..............north I guess
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.