U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-07-2012, 09:07 AM
 
130 posts, read 118,540 times
Reputation: 98

Advertisements

How do people in states like Florida and California feel about living in a state most people all over the country have been to? To me, there's no joy in living someplace you can talk about without any tom, dick and Harry being able to say, "Yeah, I've been there. It's akin to driving an automatic(girly tranny) which anyone can drive instead of a stick shift which comes with the pride of knowing few other people can drive it.

To me, that's also one of the many reasons both states are so messed up in terms of quality of life(cost of living, lack of open space, etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-07-2012, 09:23 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,663 posts, read 74,269,803 times
Reputation: 36087
In case you're wondering, Grant County, North Dakota is the least-visited county in the Lower 48. Here are the top ten unknown counties:

Grant, ND
Logan, ND
Daniels, MT
McIntosh, ND
McPherson, SD
Ransom, ND
Griggs, ND
Marshall, SD
Sargent, ND
Steele, ND

And the top ten counties that the most people have visited?

Cook, IL (Chicago)
Fairfax, VA
Washington, DC
Prince George's, MD
Orange, FL (Orlando)
Arlington, VA
Los Angeles, CA
Fulton, GA (Atlanta)
Baltimore County, MD
City of Baltimore, MD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2012, 09:44 AM
 
551 posts, read 996,985 times
Reputation: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
And the top ten counties that the most people have visited?

Cook, IL (Chicago)
Fairfax, VA
Washington, DC
Prince George's, MD
Orange, FL (Orlando)
Arlington, VA
Los Angeles, CA
Fulton, GA (Atlanta)
Baltimore County, MD
City of Baltimore, MD
I wonder how New York County (Manhattan) and Clark County (Las Vegas) are not amongst the top 10 counties people have visited.

For me to live in a state most everyone else has been seems to be not a bad thing because if you say you live in Chicago or Washington DC for example, many people know those places and they would be quite envious of you. Many people dream of living in a big city, or the nations capital, or living amongst movie stars for instance because it is so desirable. Those places are expensive, and if you got lucky enough or got up the ladder enough to be able to live there and afford it then those people take it as some sort of accomplishment. I think it being expensive because it is so desirable is what many people who live there take pride in that they've made it well enough to be able to live there, like it is quite a coveted position.

There is still pride in saying you live in a place that not many people know or have visited because you can tell people all about it though. I think people would be interested because few people ever hear about how life is in those places. I myself would have liked to see those parts of the country that are less visited like South Dakota, North Dakota, Montana and other places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2012, 11:23 AM
 
Location: Englewood, Near Eastside Indy
8,340 posts, read 14,102,864 times
Reputation: 5959
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
And the top ten counties that the most people have visited?

Cook, IL (Chicago)
Fairfax, VA
Washington, DC
Prince George's, MD
Orange, FL (Orlando)
Arlington, VA
Los Angeles, CA
Fulton, GA (Atlanta)
Baltimore County, MD
City of Baltimore, MD
Based on what???

Orange County California is in the top 5 easy. Manhattan in New York. Baltimore city AND county are in the top 10? No way. I would be interested to see what metrics are used to project Baltimore county as having more visitors than Manhattan or Orange County, CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2012, 01:29 PM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
21,320 posts, read 21,895,576 times
Reputation: 33486
Quote:
Originally Posted by maurb View Post
...It's akin to driving an automatic(girly tranny) which anyone can drive instead of a stick shift which comes with the pride of knowing few other people can drive it.

To me, that's also one of the many reasons both states are so messed up in terms of quality of life(cost of living, lack of open space, etc.)
stick shift????!!!!!! you can't be serious, anyone can work one of those with the leverage the shifter can develop. Long ago I removed my shift rod from the transmission and now reach my hand through the hole in the floor board and shift gears by sticking my index finger in the transmission to change gears. It gives me pride knowing only I can do this.

stick shift indeed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2012, 01:44 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,663 posts, read 74,269,803 times
Reputation: 36087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Based on what???

Orange County California is in the top 5 easy. Manhattan in New York. Baltimore city AND county are in the top 10? No way. I would be interested to see what metrics are used to project Baltimore county as having more visitors than Manhattan or Orange County, CA.
Counties-visited list by more than 2,000 people who have listed the counties they have been in.

Why do you think they call them counties?

Chicago and Baltimore are highway bottlenecks, so a very large number of people living in those parts of the country must have almost by necessity passed through those counties. Meanwhile, Las Vegas is not on one of the most heavily traveled transcontinental interstates, and is in a sparsely populated area hundreds of miles from any other population centers. Very few people have "just passed through" Las Vegas, their only visitors are those who have made it a point to go there, which consists largely of a certain narrow type of traveler who must fly there.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-07-2012 at 01:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2012, 02:13 PM
 
Location: LBC
4,155 posts, read 4,485,422 times
Reputation: 3543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
stick shift????!!!!!! you can't be serious, anyone can work one of those with the leverage the shifter can develop. Long ago I removed my shift rod from the transmission and now reach my hand through the hole in the floor board and shift gears by sticking my index finger in the transmission to change gears. It gives me pride knowing only I can do this.

stick shift indeed!
Spoken like a real man. I once owned a í76 Ford Capri. Stick broke off in my right-hand, so I used a pair of vice-grips I had on the rear floor board.

Of course, this didnít change the fact I was still driving a car nobody else wanted, which goes to the OPís question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2012, 02:16 PM
 
Location: Texas
43,559 posts, read 52,678,186 times
Reputation: 70811
I don't get it.
People go places because it's cool.
Why would you want to live somewhere that was so uncool/unattractive that no one bothered to ever go there?
And then brag, "Yeah, but you ain't never been here before?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2012, 02:24 PM
 
Location: New Orleans
797 posts, read 1,159,918 times
Reputation: 631
There is always a difference between living and visiting. People can always say they visited that state or city but you as a person that lives there will always know more about the place and can always give much deeper insight. You will be the person that knows where the tourist traps are and where the hidden jewels are that most visitors would have no idea existed. Visitors and tourist annoy a lot of people becuase they dont know what that true place is like and they dont experience it on a daily bases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2012, 02:40 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,663 posts, read 74,269,803 times
Reputation: 36087
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I don't get it.
People go places because it's cool.
Why would you want to live somewhere that was so uncool/unattractive that no one bothered to ever go there?
You think Grant County ND is uncool/unattractive? It's a well kept secret.

http://www.keyrealtyinc.net/soldprop...pel%20028a.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top