U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-07-2012, 08:03 PM
 
Location: Viña del Mar, Chile
14,243 posts, read 11,109,450 times
Reputation: 12911
Default Why were the 70s and 80s so dangerous?

I have been looking up crime statistics from different states and it looks like the crime was pretty low in the 60s and the shot up through the 70s and 80s and then dropped down from the 90s until now.

What would have caused the higher crime rates?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-07-2012, 08:38 PM
 
Location: Fishers, IN
5,563 posts, read 5,724,601 times
Reputation: 2887
Disco, then hair metal. It drove us out of our minds and made us do stupid stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2012, 08:40 PM
 
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
10,429 posts, read 7,598,158 times
Reputation: 4732
Dropped in the 90s? Where, in Idaho?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2012, 08:46 PM
 
462 posts, read 377,390 times
Reputation: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Dropped in the 90s? Where, in Idaho?




Crime dropped in most places, compared to the early 90s.

Reference: Crime in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2012, 08:55 PM
 
2,249 posts, read 3,872,900 times
Reputation: 1944
Deindustrialization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2012, 08:59 PM
 
14,756 posts, read 13,334,741 times
Reputation: 8070
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Disco, then hair metal. It drove us out of our minds and made us do stupid stuff.
We are telepathic! I saw this thread title and immediately thought disco drove everybody to the brink. Watch for yourself:


Alicia Bridges - I love the nightlife - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2012, 09:04 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
38,729 posts, read 34,398,394 times
Reputation: 28427
Anger. Americans were very angry, over the way they were lied to about the Vietnam war and the massive persecutions over the phony war on drugs and the failure to honor civil rights and the great society, and a lot of other things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2012, 09:09 PM
 
1,784 posts, read 1,742,638 times
Reputation: 744
Crips/bloods
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2012, 09:11 PM
 
462 posts, read 377,390 times
Reputation: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I have been looking up crime statistics from different states and it looks like the crime was pretty low in the 60s and the shot up through the 70s and 80s and then dropped down from the 90s until now.

What would have caused the higher crime rates?
Multiple reasons:
- peak of Baby Boomers in their teens and early twenties (peak criminal years), with large family sizes in relatively small communities of overcrowded homes and schools
- large domestic migrations occurring resulting in displacement and movement of millions of people (black southerners moving north to cities, city whites moving to suburbs) - gangs and disturbances common - and overall decay and filth in cities as people and capital fled to the suburbs
- volatile political and social atmosphere (war, civil rights, etc) with riots in cities common in late 60s, effects carried thru the 70s
- huge rise in illegal drug availability and use, and concurrent alcohol abuse
- disintegration/transition from nuclear families to divorced/separated families took off in earnest
- disintegration of earnings (thru inflation) resulting in more 2-income families, fewer at-home parents monitoring kids, slip of working-class wages to below middle-class wages
- dissolution of state mental health hospitals, releasing thousands of mentally ill people to live on the streets


Just off the top of my head
-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2012, 11:12 PM
 
Location: Viña del Mar, Chile
14,243 posts, read 11,109,450 times
Reputation: 12911
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
Multiple reasons:
- peak of Baby Boomers in their teens and early twenties (peak criminal years), with large family sizes in relatively small communities of overcrowded homes and schools
- large domestic migrations occurring resulting in displacement and movement of millions of people (black southerners moving north to cities, city whites moving to suburbs) - gangs and disturbances common - and overall decay and filth in cities as people and capital fled to the suburbs
- volatile political and social atmosphere (war, civil rights, etc) with riots in cities common in late 60s, effects carried thru the 70s
- huge rise in illegal drug availability and use, and concurrent alcohol abuse
- disintegration/transition from nuclear families to divorced/separated families took off in earnest
- disintegration of earnings (thru inflation) resulting in more 2-income families, fewer at-home parents monitoring kids, slip of working-class wages to below middle-class wages
- dissolution of state mental health hospitals, releasing thousands of mentally ill people to live on the streets


Just off the top of my head
-

That's very interesting, but do you think that those problems have been getting smaller or do you think that we, as a country are beginning to learn how to cope with the problems and it is just becoming a social norm?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top